AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the benefits or negatives of a side/ front/ bottom firing sub. Is one better than the others? One work better in certain situations? Please help a newbee out.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Placement is the main issue when choosing a configuration, leaving enough room for the ports and driver. Downfiring also hides the driver so it's less prone to accidental damage as stated above.

Providing the sub is properly calibrated with yoru system you're use of the volume control is what's will or wont anger your neighbors, front or down firing will have no effect on that, low frequency sound waves are not directional.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
If you are easily entertained, then front firing is better. You can remove the grill and watch the driver move.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Downfiring subs do have one disadvantage and thats driver sag due to gravity. It does affect excursion and over time the driver will "sag" and bottom out sooner.

·
Registered
809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/12935726

Downfiring subs do have one disadvantage and thats driver sag due to gravity. It does affect excursion and over time the driver will "sag" and bottom out sooner.

Good downfiring subs do not sag due to gravity. I have a

Velodyne ULD-12 in a stereo only room. It's a down firing

sub, and it is as good now as the time I bought it (1993).

As far as which way a sub fires, it makes no difference. I have down firing, front firing, and side firing (HSU VTF-3/3). Subs are not directional (a front firing sub does

not fire all the bass from the front, down firing sub does

not fire all the bass to the floor, etc and so on)...so, that's

my opinion,and two cents
......vardo

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Alternatively you can place ii in close proximity, with the sofa, it takes a bit of doing to get it right but once, you’ve figured the best position and tested it and re-calibrated the level, as to not overwhelm the rest of the soundtrack, you should get a nice thumping bass line that rumbles gently kicks presently and jolts you with surprise.

I tried this method out around 18 years ago with (JBL SB-5 TCB) sub bass and films like Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (1990), gave on friend what he described as (back massage) when the arrow flies though the air, and sticks into the hangman’s head, ouch!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts