AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a noob question, but have seen it in posts and I don't have a clue.....but would like one. :D

Erik

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Crushed blacks are the bottom end of the various shades of black all crushed into one solid black, thus destoying all details and picture info in blacks, a truely nasty thing

If a source component(like my Dish Network 942 :mad: ) has this flaw you are screwed, if found elsewhere, a combo of adjusting contrast, brightness,greyscale and gamma will help remedy the issue

-Gary

·
Registered
136 Posts
next time your at a HT shop.. get em to put CNN or something on the screen.. something with a newscaster with a black suit..

if you can see the details in teh suit.. it's not crushed.. if you just see a talking head over a hole in the screen where a suit should be.. then they're crushed.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Is this the same as losing all of your shadow detail?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Pretty much - is easiest to see with a gray scale - put up the gray scale band, either on VE, Avia, or even use the THX test pattern on many dvds if you have nothing else. If you have black crush, the darkest, leftmost gradiations will all be black. Likewise, if a number of gradiations on the RH side are gone - you have white crush. As Gary stated, with luck, you can adjust your pj and fix the problem. OTOH, if the problem is in your settop box, dvd player, or video processor, AFAIK there is darn little you can do about it. If the information is gone, your pj can't do much to "recover" it.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
It is a small part of a Global plan to ensure the Supremac......nevermind its what he said earlier. :D

One good way to check this problem is to use the Digital Video essentials disc.

The greyscale chart as well as the black level adjustment helps to alleviate some of it.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
I personally think this is something of a plot by the Gov"t to obscure the fine details found in the lower end of the greyscale :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. My blacks are not crushed.

Gary, sorry about troubles with the 942. I have the 921 and with the HDNet Test Screen my blacks are not crushed but the 1 in the first black box is just barely dicernable if I remember from memory. That is on my ECP 3100. I havent't checked on my RPTV.

Since I got the ECP I rarely even watch the 61' HD RPTV at all. I love the theater like image that the front projection offers.

Thanks again guys. :)

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Erik the 921 when I owned it had bad cliping of whites, the number one inside the white box was not visible on the hdnet test patterns, this annoyed me very much, it seems the 942 has the blacks crushed on the whites not nearly as hot, maybe just slightly above normal

-Gary

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikjohn
Thanks guys. My blacks are not crushed.

Gary, sorry about troubles with the 942. I have the 921 and with the HDNet Test Screen my blacks are not crushed but the 1 in the first black box is just barely dicernable if I remember from memory. That is on my ECP 3100. I havent't checked on my RPTV.

Since I got the ECP I rarely even watch the 61' HD RPTV at all. I love the theater like image that the front projection offers.

Thanks again guys. :)
Then there's the opposite problem.....stretched blacks, when the brightness control is set too high. You might see all the detailm but you have no "real" black. If you think you have crushed blacks, just bring up the brightness control, if there is no additional picture information, you're not crushing blacks.

Once brightness control is properly set with grey scale pattern, it shouldn't "need" be be touched again.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee
Pretty much - is easiest to see with a gray scale - put up the gray scale band, either on VE, Avia, or even use the THX test pattern on many dvds if you have nothing else. If you have black crush, the darkest, leftmost gradiations will all be black. Likewise, if a number of gradiations on the RH side are gone - you have white crush. As Gary stated, with luck, you can adjust your pj and fix the problem. OTOH, if the problem is in your settop box, dvd player, or video processor, AFAIK there is darn little you can do about it. If the information is gone, your pj can't do much to "recover" it.
Um, are you sure they'd be all black and not some elevated (higher IRE) representation like dark gray?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.