AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my satellite system back up after about a year without it. So far I've found HDNet (199) and HBOH (509) as HD channels. Are there any more, and if so what channels are they? Thanks in advance!

Ron

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
HD on D*:

HD Net

HBO

HD on E*:

HBO

Showtime

WCBS

KCBS

PPV Channel

Demo channel

Steve

·
Registered
552 Posts
Short answer: No.

There were some short pieces called Discovery HD Theater floating around on DirecTV 199 before HDNet premiered. And the sales folks at my local Best Buy and Circuit City are still telling people that Discovery is broadcasting in HD. They are misinformed.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Jay Shem
HD on D*:

HD Net

HBO

HD on E*:

HBO

Showtime

WCBS

KCBS

PPV Channel

Demo channel

Steve
Movies in HD this week on Showtime - 5

(and one of them is Blair Witch 2!)

WCBS ans KCBS are only available in certain few homes.

It isn't obvious from the posting, but PPV HD is also available on D*, but it shares a channel with HDNet, which also serves as a demo channel.

I hope that some day E* has HD content that warrants me putting up another dish, but as of this time, I'm still waiting.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Sorry guys for the vauge post, I forgot about HD Net and PPV being shared and I should have typed it as WCBS/KCBS. Since if you actually qualify you cant get both.

Steve

·
Registered
619 Posts
DTV has been in "negotiations" with Showtime for at least a year.

Showtime says their signal is available free and DTV says that Showtime won't make a commitment.

There's money at the bottom of this, and the net result is that DTV subscribers are suffering. I'm not even going to mention the West Coast feeds, nor the fact that PPV HD starts at 2 AM Eastern.

Net net is that I think that DTV just doesn't want to give up the bandwidth on a strong satellite. An example is HBOHD. The last few minutes of Band of Brothers was wiped out by a local rainstorm. The standard HBO channel (501) came through fine.

Put it all together and you get a company that would much rather sell highly compressed local stations than quality HD (or even standard cable channels such as Sci Fi) with good quality.

My impression is that DTV will continue to compress normal feeds (and ignore HD) until their subscriber base begins to shrink.

Rick

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpto

An example is HBOHD. The last few minutes of Band of Brothers was wiped out by a local rainstorm. The standard HBO channel (501) came through fine.
Channel 501 is from the 101 satellite. 509 is from the 119 satellite. What respective signal strengths do you have on each satellite? Have you tried to tweak your dish to get a better signal from 119?

·
Registered
382 Posts
why do you need E* to get CBS? You can pick those up on standard antenna for free!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bootz
why do you need E* to get CBS? You can pick those up on standard antenna for free!
If your local CBS broadcasts in HD you can pick it up OTA for free, but if they dont you can get it from E* $1.50/month (If you qualify).

Steve

·
Registered
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Jay Shem
HD on D*:

HD Net

HBO

HD on E*:

HBO

Showtime

WCBS

KCBS

PPV Channel

Demo channel

Steve
Menu at Rick's Diner:

Filet mignon

Fried chicken

Menu at Charlie's Diner:

Fried Chicken

Shrimp (in very small portions)

Tap water (available for free elsewhere)

Tap water (still available for free elsewhere)

$6 Hamburger

Chips

Oh well, maybe in a year or so the two joints might have the same menu...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.