AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a samsung hlp 4663w and i love the set. I can hear the fan somewhat when the volume is low/off or at like 5 or 6 on the TV volume controll. This is my 2nd set cause i returned the first one a week after i bought it cause the fan made a bearing/grinding sound. How many fans do these sets have? Is it like a normal PC type fan?

when my first set was messed i called a few stores and asked about the fan noise levels and some said 5 or 6 is a normal level to drown it out and some said they stand right infront of the set with the volume off and hear nothing at all.

Oh and i have been reading the a few topics and i read about a buzzing sound from the color wheel of a HLM model set. That problem only really occurs in those models right? I mean since they use ball bearings.

·
Registered
15,826 Posts
If you only hear the fan at low volume, I'd consider it normal and just enjoy! I hear mine when the set is at low volume as well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It just seems like its louder then when i first got the set. Its not as loud as the first set, but its getting there. There might be a little humming sound from the color wheel in there too, but not a buzz saw sound like described here.

Its just annoying watching TV and hearing it during low volume or the breaks between commercials. I love the picture, but having this after 6 months is stressing me out. Too late to return the set and trade it on a toshiba. I was considering do that when the first one was loud and i now somewhat regret not doing so since i don't hear many complaints about the toshibas.

I read someone say the HLR models color wheel is different. whats differerent about them? Someone said they elimate the color wheel problems, so can they be put into older sets?

I have a 3 year extended warrenty through bestbuy.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have the sony 50a10 and I can't even hear the fan w/ my ear pressed to the tv after its turned off

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would putting the set in a cabnet help me from hearing the fan at low volume or is it a bad idea to put a DLP into a cabnet? Will it just make it worse cause the sound waves bounce off the cabnet? Id cut out a hole in the back thats the size on the bulb door so warm air can get out.

My parents are older and say they don't hear it and they love the TV, but it would be really great if i could find a way to make the fan less noticeable at low sound levels for me.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warzone_3_16
My parents are older and say they don't hear it and they love the TV, but it would be really great if i could find a way to make the fan less noticeable at low sound levels for me.
I have a similar issue with my LCD RPTV. There are a total of 5 fans in the unit. Only one makes far too much noise and, unfortunately, must be running 24/7 to cool the cablecard slot/tuner. I've had the techs out many times, trying & replacing different things. Nothing has worked. So, when I get some free time, I'm going to see if I can pop in a replacement fan of the low db PC variety.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many fans do DLP sets have? I have a 3 year warrenty, but if they replace the fan it may just become loud again in a few months. I don't understand what made the fan more louder now then when i first got the set. The color wheel i can hear humming when i have my ear up to the TV, but i don't think it has anything to do with the noise.

Are these Fans specially designed for each set or are they a standard type of fan that all TV makers use, kind of like a PC fan. Maybe samsung uses a bad fan brand, kind of like how MS used crappy Thompson drives in the Xbox.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warzone_3_16
How many fans do DLP sets have? I have a 3 year warrenty, but if they replace the fan it may just become loud again in a few months. I don't understand what made the fan more louder now then when i first got the set. The color wheel i can hear humming when i have my ear up to the TV, but i don't think it has anything to do with the noise.

Are these Fans specially designed for each set or are they a standard type of fan that all TV makers use, kind of like a PC fan. Maybe samsung uses a bad fan brand, kind of like how MS used crappy Thompson drives in the Xbox.
2 suggestions: open up the case & have a look and/or buy yourself a service manual. My manual makes it look like a standard voltage fan, but I haven't popped one out yet to take a closer look. I'm positive it can be done. If it is still under warranty, it would be best to have the mfr. try to fix the problem before you resort to your own mods.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy
2 suggestions: open up the case & have a look and/or buy yourself a service manual. My manual makes it look like a standard voltage fan, but I haven't popped one out yet to take a closer look. I'm positive it can be done. If it is still under warranty, it would be best to have the mfr. try to fix the problem before you resort to your own mods.
Oh i would'nt do it on my own especially since its under warranty. Its just the set is 6 or 7 months old so i don't know what would make a fan louder then usual. My PC fans never become louder over time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.