AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unlike other computers, i think the case for an htpc is a very important aspect so i was wondering what cases are out there for htpcs.

Any help you could give me about picking my htpc case would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hadees,

Well you can really use any case that suits your fancy.. I guess it all really depends on your taste, some people like to make their HTPC resemble a dvd player / reciever... Others like to make them bold and stand out.. Is it going to be visible to your guests? Does it have enough bays for your drives?

Ventilation is Important!!

Me personally I just picked up a case at a show this past weekend for $60 has 400w power supply, 5 expansion bays, a swirly cut-out window with neon lights, and temperature gauge in the front.. This fits the bill for me perfectly..

Just my 2 cents... Hope I was of some assistance..

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I agree with the others. First decision depends on where you want to put it. Will it be horizontal or vertical? After that, it's a matter of what looks good and what's most functional. One thing that worries me with horizontal cases is capacity. I think some will only take a certain size motherboard and also have limits to the size of the video card. This is rarely the case with a vertical/tower case.

Another thing that may be overlooked is noise. Unless you have a huge room the case needs to run quietly. For this you need the largest fans possible, which means 120mm. Antec makes a tower case called the Sonata this appears to be geared towards HTPC and quiet (120mm fans and piano black finish). You can even see them at BestBuy.

I think tower would be best for cooling and compatibility but if you have limited space like me then a horizontal unit is the better way to go. Also, if you spent tons of cash on an A/V rack, why put a component on the floor when you have the rack? But, it's personal preference.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Ya, hes right about being careful about what fits in those horzontal cases. They do look really good, but they are smaller. Oh, if you go with the coolermaster tower, an enermax power supply with adjustable fan works well (again, not the cheapest solution).

·
Registered
838 Posts
I went with the ATech Fabrication case . My primary reasons were the small size (especially depth), well-designed airflow, and aesthetics. I took delivery of it last week and I couldn't be happier. You can read my first impressions of it here , although the entire thread is pretty informative too.

- Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
I purchased the Antec Sonata case, it is an upright case designed to be quiet. The main case fan is 120mm instead of 80mm, this allows it to run at a lower rpm while still moving the same amount of air. It also uses rubber bushings to mount the disk drives to minimize transfer of noise from the disk drives to the case. It really is a nice quiet case. Also, I liked it because it was not to "flashy", no clear acrylic side panel and it has a nice cover that closes over the driver bays (some may not like this feature but I do).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.