AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into a sleek Def Tech Mythos Six for L/C/R and Mythos Gems for rear surrounds. This is not WAF - they look much nicer than square black boxes and for a 11 x 15 room, I don't want speakers crowding the space.

I want to wall mount these speakers. Are there inherent limitations to on-wall speakers? I auditioned the Mythos Sixes and they seemed fine but I don't have a great ear for this stuff.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I once asked the same question of Mike Dzurko of ACI, this was his response:

"Tonally, properly enclosed in-walls sound terrific. Lateral imaging is equal to free standing speakers. Image height is nearly the equal of free standing speakers. Image depth is not as good, simply because the illusion of two channel depth requires some time delay between the initial direct sounds, and the sound that is reflects off the front wall. This is the main reason that pulling speakers out into the room increases the sense of depth. The further out, the greater the delay, and the greater sense of depth.

This might be a serious factor for two-channel listening but is really not particularly important for multi-channel and HT. In these cases, most of the sense of depth is created by the additional channels.

IF you use the system for a lot of "sweet spot" stereo listening, you will likely want to have a set of free standing speakers. IF the system is used for multi-channel and HT, then inwall mounts can serve VERY well. We've done a number of very nice systems locally and they provide some of the very finest HT I've ever experienced. Personally, if I was doing a dedicated HT, I'd build everything in."

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Hey Tom, if one uses an In-wall speaker system on the front with little space to the sides of each of the Front(L+R) due to a front projection screen, does this pose a problem? Because I am trying to figure out if I should purchase a Perforated screen and mount the speakers behind the screen or the the L/R of the screen, leaving less then 12" from the sides.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To clarify, I was asking about wall-mounted (on-wall) speakers - not in-walls. I guess there was a partial answer in that generally, there is better depth if the speakers are pulled out a couple of feet away from the wall.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
On-walls will be between in-walls and floorstanders sitting away from the walls. If they're thin speakers like electrostats or ribbons, then they'll be pretty close to in-wall.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxylplik2
To clarify, I was asking about wall-mounted (on-wall) speakers - not in-walls. I guess there was a partial answer in that generally, there is better depth if the speakers are pulled out a couple of feet away from the wall.

I have on wall speakers (B&W FPMs) I dont believe sound quality is lost, but its hard to know which speaker class to compare them too. The limitations you will need to consider is the lack of low frequencies, but this can be easily fixed with a good sub. Also for me personally I like my speakers to have a "toe in" stand and unless you get special brackets this can be a challenge.

The postivies are they can sound a as good a quality floor stands depending on the brand you choose, and they look 10xs better then floor stands in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.