AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off, i am compulsive. i have been listening to my parents B&W setup and i love it, and now i want some also.

but i have to sell my JM Labs first. I tried ebay, but all of my speakers went for $275 total (luckily i had a set reserve). these were $1000 or so new, and i cant believe i cant sell them.

i have them on audiogon right now, and i have had almost 300 views, and still no offers, i must be doing something wrong, am i thinking too big and trying to sell them too high? i have them at $750 + shipping, are they worth that much used or should i lower them.

I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL THEM HERE! i am just hoping to get some advice.

i can return them to the store for a reduced store credit, but doesnt help me since they dont carry B&W, i have to go to another store for that.

please offer me any advice that you can.

for those that cant see the sig, they are 2 pairs of Chorus 705 S and a CC 70 S center.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Set your price at 50% of MSRP OBO and hope for the best.

Shipping speakers is not a trivial cost.

Good luck.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does it make a difference if they are just over a month old and have seen very minimal usage hours?

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
as soon as they left the store, the price dropped dramatically..... the condition does not affect that immediate price drop....

as to used value.... it's whatever the market will bear.... and ebay is a pretty good indicator of what speakers (and other audio equipment) are worth.....

if you get $500 for the set, you will probably be lucky....

cheers!

:)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
boy, that sucks, never knew that.

i guess i will try, otherwise just keep them, thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here are my suggestions for a succesful Audiogon sale.

Rule #1 Take pictiures of the speakers and post them!

Rule #2 See Rule #1

Seriously, pictures are a tremendous help. I've seen 10k and 15k gear on Audiogon with a tiny blurb and no pictures. If you can afford equipment like that, you can afford a digital camera.

Typically, I take what I paid for them, not MSRP and start at 75% of that.

That philosophy has served me well.

Do not believe what the other poster said about Ebay being a good determiner of price. I have seen people pay more for things used than you could buy them new.

-T

·
Registered
129 Posts
Quote:
Typically, I take what I paid for them, not MSRP and start at 75% of that.

That philosophy has served me well.
Works well unless you also buy used equipment. Does being the 2nd owner of a great piece of gear cut the price in half yet again? I don't think it does.

I bought my Paradigm mains for $450, and they have a retail price of around $900+/-. They were in excellent condition when I recieved them from their first owner and since I've kept them in great condition I wouldn't have a problem trying to sell them to somebody else for $400-$450.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Same with a car. You lose 20% of the "price" as soon as you drive it off the lot. And there are many more car buyers than there are JML buyers.

IOW, you *could* find the right guy, but if you don't you're going to take a bath. You have to decide what you're willing to sell them at (a la the eBay reserve price) and live with the consequences. Simple as that. List them at 75%, but don't depend on the sale. If you need to move them, 50%.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by slick316
boy, that sucks, never knew that.

i guess i will try, otherwise just keep them, thanks for the help guys.
You can figure just about anything after it leaves the store is worth less. Do you offer a 90 day warranty or service dept or technical advice (tongue in cheek on this one).

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
According to these guys:

http://www.tweakshop.com/Chorus.html

the 705s are $350/pr. Assuming you got 15% discount new (and using previous poster's formula), they are worth ~ $225/pr. $500 to $550 is probably a more realistic figure for the package...

John

·
Registered
242 Posts
Also on ebay pics are #1, try to split them up as well. You reach a larger audience if you split them up. Pairs for pairs and the center alone. Heck I am interested in the center depending on color and price. If you list them one ebay lemme know

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i tried ebay once, put them all up there seperately. put the reserves at $200 and a buy it now for $270 (i put that if you buy it now, the shipping is waived). each 705 auction went to $102.50, and the CC 70 S went to $71.00, i'm sorry, but thats too low.

billabongi, they are all in technic color, if interested, PM me or email me at [email protected] , i am not listing on ebay again.

i thank everyone for the help. i am going to tough it out on audiogon and see what happens, surely someone will reply out of hundreds of views. if not, i will put them up on audiogon again, but seperately, not as a package.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.