AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know about the denon 1600,rp91,xp 30 & 50,...blah blah blah...but what about what we can actually go out to a store and buy????

players i would like to know about is:

panny f85 s ,s35,s55

any sony

These are the ones readily available at most best buys and circuit citys......im real tired of endless searches for products that arent there so help me out what is the good ones out now??

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Deez,

Dude... I thought you were sold on the Momitsu? Or was it mecotek?

Anyway, if you want readily available, then buy the mits with Faroudja. There's a thread about that near the top.

jeff

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that was quick!!

ya i was then with all the problems reported and lack of adequate support for the mekotek i said eff it ill get a decent player now(under 150$) and wait for pannys and others dvi players in the fall or for the momo to have its issues fixed.....

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
These days decent means >$200 and closer to $250. The mecotek is still a good deal and you can get us support for it if it breaks. I rather get that than the mitsu 8400 even with faroudja.

really all of the tweaks for the momitus apply to this player. and people are working on cracking (reverse engineering) the firmware.

jeff

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes your right but i just want to get a 150 -250 dollar over the couter dvd player that works without all these mods....

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize that most people on here have the pannys and the denon units that are very coveted...im just talking a bout a dvd player i can get from best buy or CC ...well anyone? Your opinion interests me....

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Best buy I know of is the Sony 400 disc changer for $399 MSRP, my CX-875 and CX-860 and CX-850 are all almost full, I won't say how many I have but I have neary 4,000 discs Regions 1, 2, & 4. The all region is a single drawer JVC with a ICOS mod bought back in 2001, I am quite happy with it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greeno
These days decent means >$200 and closer to $250.
really there are no decent players around the $150 mark? Having just spent over 4k for LCD RPTV, Stand and HD receiver I was hoping to limit my cost on DVD player...

But to get a good quality DVD you have to go up to $250+?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Thats right, the threshold is around $250. Though sometimes you can find a good deal on a used or refurbished top-rated Faroudja-based Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600 model. The cheapest new model with Faroudja is the Mitsubishi DD-8040 which is $249 at Tweeter retail stores, though some have found it online for closer to $200. The similar Denon DVD-910 is $299 for comparison.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Faroudja makes a top-quality de-interlacer chip. A de-interlacer is used in progressive DVD players to take the interlaced video content on DVDs and convert it to progressive format. The cheaper DVD players use lower quality de-interlacer chips and this means you get softer images and artifacts like combing in certain scenes. The Faroudja has the best quality to reduce and elimnate such artifacts and yield a much sharper more detailed picture. It makes a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My set has its own upconversion so i dont think dcdi will do me any good??(hitachi 51swx20b).............and it does a real good job too!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deez
My set has its own upconversion so i dont think dcdi will do me any good??(hitachi 51swx20b).............and it does a real good job too!!!
There is still a noticeable difference moving up to a player with the Faroudja or Silicon Image deinterlacer. The TVs deinterlacing is good but there is better. I have a Hitachi 51S700 which should have the same built in deinterlacer as your SWX. The Denon DVD-910 with the Faroudja chip looked better in progressive mode. Next I moved up to the Denon DVD-2200 and it looked even better than the 910.

The improvement is small but is noticeable. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you. I kept the Denon DVD-2200 and I'm happy with my purchase. The difference between the 2200 and my old interlaced Toshiba, using the Hitachi's deinterlacer, is night and day. You'll never know if it can be any better unless you try. However, if you're happy with your picture you may just want to not worry about it. Ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Quote:
We all know about the denon 1600,rp91,xp 30 & 50,...blah blah blah...but what about what we can actually go out to a store and buy????

players i would like to know about is:

panny f85 s ,s35,s55

any sony

These are the ones readily available at most best buys and circuit citys......im real tired of endless searches for products that arent there so help me out what is the good ones out now??
I have had lots of expensive DVD players in the past. Now I am feeding my Nec CRT with HTPC.

The other day I was looking for a cheap player for my kids.

Ran to BestBuy and got the Toshiba 4900 for $90.

I decided to play before passing it to the girls.

It has a very extended resolution with DVD audio capability. The interlacer was just a tad better than the Pioneer 635 and passes blacker than black (plug). The PQ was just really good with my Toshiba 53". The layer change was a rapid under 1". I would give it a try before settling for anything expensive. It is a solid machine.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
It helps. The Hitachi's have great internal scalors, but their deinterlacer is not as good as Silicon Image or Faroudja based systems.

My Denon 2900 handles the deinterlacing to bring the image to 480p, then my Hitachi 51swx20b scales the image to 540p. The scalor is not perfect but very good. I was unable to see much improvement using DVI and an HTPC to scale directly to 1080i (note I did not complete any actual test material, just watched a couple movies).

There are surely differences from the Denon 2900 (sil image), Bravo D1 and Panny RP62 (faroudja). Denon 2900 looks the best for film material, Panny RP62 by far the best for video based D1 had no advantages due to TVs scaling, but could/should have some advantages on a Fixed Pixel display when scaled to native rez over DVI.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've got a buddy that has the 65SWX20B. I have a Mits 65611 that does 480P natively. My DVD quality with a DCDI C920 Yamaha DVD player is stunning. His internal scaler is good, but no where near DCDI or Iscan quality. We've tried the 921 Samsung via the DVI port and I thought it looked horrible. Terrible colors and no detail in dark scenes. This week we are going to try a DCDI DVD player. I wanted to try this last because his set will convert the 480P to 1080i or 540P. The lack of native 480P support on some sets makes no sense to me.

I'm glad my Mits can do 480P natively.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the reason the hitachi has no 480p is for streamlining of their sets because the scaler is basically the same 540p/1080i...from what i hear...and pretty soon 480p will be a thing of the past anyway...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think we'll all have new sets by the time 480P goes away. I think it's cheaper for the manufacturer to do one scan rate. Too bad because the advantage of CRT based sets is their ability to do multiple scan rates. Too bad more of them don't do 720P natively either.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.