AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Something like the JTR 215RT, or RBH SX-T2/R is what you would need to aim for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ZU Audio

I have been to the ZU factory and met the staff to include Shawn Casey the Founder/Owner. Great guys with lots of audio physics knowledge, and high quality American made products! Most drivers are made by eminence and Radian, with some components (caps and such) from their neighbors down the road at Kimber Kable.

For those that don't live in Utah, they have a good trial period and are very easy to work with.

The speakers are very efficient, and the fit and finish is top notch! They can customize any speaker, and have endless finishing options. The speaker prices range from $1000 a pair all the way up to $12500 for the Definition. The flagship Dominance is huge and priced well above most budgets!

For under 10K they have the Omen Def MkII ($3600pair) or Druid MkV ($5400pair), which are beautiful speakers! All have 10" full range drivers and a tweeter to take over for the "sparkle" as they say.

Have fun!

·
Registered
11,911 Posts
Vandersteen Treo CT ... under your budget but an outstanding speaker

Salk Sound .. perhaps something with the RAAL tweeter? Custom finish? Give them a call ...

Totem Wind - over your budget, but perhaps you could find a gently used pair on Audiogon?

·
Registered
12,917 Posts

True Full Range that you can run hard!?! Covering complete audible range 20hz to 20,000khz!

• JTR 215RT
  • Seaton Sound Catalyst 12C
Both excellent options and no particular order in listing them here.

They are both big speakers, and both can go louder than you can stand, and will sound excellent doing it.
--------------

These are the ones I'm familiar with, have heard, and would highly recommend.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
XTZ Divine 100.49 2x10', 1x7", $3600 each -

http://www.xtzsound.us/shop-en/Speakers/xtz-divine-100-49-piano-black

http://www.xtzsound.com/en/products/speakers/divine-100-49-walnut#

ype: 3-way speaker, two 10" drivers as woofer, one 7" midrange and one 25 mm/1" tweeter.

Dimensions: 432 x 1240 x 600 mm / 16.7 x 48.4 x 23.6 inch (W x H x D) (with feet)
Weight: 70 kg / 154 lb (pcs)
Impedance: 4-8 ohm
Nom. impedance: 4 ohm
Min. impedance: 3 ohm
Frequency Range: 25 - 25,000 Hz - Anechoic (20 - 25,000hz - typical room)
Efficiency: 89 dB

Here is a link to another forum that has a list of YouTube vidoes of the Divine speakers. Though do keep in mind these are YouTube videos, at best, the sound quality is limited.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/videos-xtz-divine-2x10-speakers.1945877/

They seem pretty sweet for the price.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Banned
4,273 Posts
The RBH SX-T2N/R (dual 10" woofers) has an MSRP of $12K/Pair, but street prices are a lot lower than $10K.

Another one I recommend is the RBH SX-8300/R, which has an MSRP of $5900/pair, but street prices well below $4K. It has three 8" Reference Aluminum Woofers, which is about equivalent to dual 10" woofers.

What I love about both of the RBH towers is that the Woofers can be ACTIVELY bi-amp.

Another tower that can also be actively bi-amp is the mentioned $7500/Pair XTZ Devine towers.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Great question. I despise todays wife pleasing slim columns.
The problem is the price range. A good speaker with 10s in this price range is rare.
For fun look at Magico S5/Q5. Also check out the Focal Scala Utopia.

·
Registered
812 Posts
True Full Range that you can run hard!?! Covering complete audible range 20hz to 20,000khz!

• JTR 215RT
  • Seaton Sound Catalyst 12C
Both excellent options and no particular order in listing them here.

They are both big speakers, and both can go louder than you can stand, and will sound excellent doing it.
--------------

These are the ones I'm familiar with, have heard, and would highly recommend.
In this case I would take the Seaton. Less boomy IMO.

·
Registered
812 Posts
What do you guys think of tyler acoustics?
I have a friend that has 2 pair of his speakers. They are quite good. Beautiful cabinetry that rivals anything available. He uses very high quality drivers. Older ones were Seas. Newer ones are mostly Scanspeak.

Tyler is a good guy and is very friendly. Go to Axpona in April. He will likely be there with a few of his offerings.

·
Registered
525 Posts
^^^^

Since you aren't averse to Internet-direct companies, how about the Salk Soundscape 8. They are $7999 for any of the high quality standard veneers, however the choice of finishes is only limited by your imagination and wallet.

Search the Salk threads here at AVS and on Audiocircle for more info.

Happy hunting.

Reactions: Shadowed

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Another ribbon tweeter brand which sound really very very good is the Monitor Audio Platinum which is very closet to budget. I am not sure if Golden Ear or cheaper alternative would sound just as good or similar.

Certainly the Legacy speakers with air motion tweeters... or just about anything with an air motion tweeter should sound very lively.

AMT's sound better to me in general than most of the dome tweeter speakers that have been mentioned.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts