AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got into it with the fiance today about speakers and she seems to think we can have quarter sized speakers that emit theater quality sound and whatever. So in an effort to compromise I was curious if there were any good speakers out there that are shaped like the ones below? Sort of skinnier, longer speakers but not floor standing ones since she seems to be against those. The bookshelf speakers from Polk I have been looking at seem too boxy and it isn't looking like I'll be able to put those up all that well and hide them. Thanks in advance guys, I am sure you have had to go through this before ;-).

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Since you're not married yet NOW is the time to set the ground rules! Speakers are judged first on how they sound, and second (if at all) by how they look! Seriously, there are many terrific sounding AND looking speakers out there, don't limit yourself to slender, asthetically pleasing speakers that probably won't have the acoustic punch to be satisfying. That being said, both Carver and Audiosource make slender speakers, check them out at www.partsexpress.com . I haven't heard them, so I can't vouch for them. I'm sure there are others, good luck!

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so I talked her into the Polk R150's or R15's, but where is the best place to get them? Any good deals out there?

Which of those is better?

·
Registered
438 Posts
The answer is education.

Does she want good sound, or does she want her vision of what things should look like? In most cases, these goals are mutually exclusive.

Maybe there's a way to get both by letting her design the room around some good speakers. That is, you get to pick the speakers and where they go, she gets to pick everything else. Role play this: You're the "engineer" but she's the "designer." You both have to give and take a little. (Wait till you have kids!)

Marriage means compromise, and you need to know this BEFORE you take the vows. But, it doesn't have to hurt.

Gotta run... my wife has a class tonight and....

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMountD /forum/post/12994136

Okay so I talked her into the Polk R150's or R15's, but where is the best place to get them? Any good deals out there?

Which of those is better?

From what I've read here the R15 and R150 are basically the same. The place to get them is Fry's ( http://shop2.outpost.com/search?cat=...pType=pDisplay ). I just ordered 4 x 1 R150's and a CSR (center).

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublefan /forum/post/12994105

Maybe the Monitor Audio Radius line?

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...e=4&product=26

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...duct=27&area=1

I think these are some nice looking speakers, and waddya know, I hear they sound good too!

The R225 is one of the best onwall speakers out there, and best or second best in its price range, competition is tough between Paradigm Cinema 330 and MA R225. R225 comes in beautiful finishes. If you want to compromise, this is the speaker. R225's and Cinema 330's are around $340 each.

You can consider Vienna Acoustics onwalls, and Martin Logan onwall; they are gorgeous, great sounding, but expensive. Anywhere betweed $600 and $800 each. I'm sure your fiance will love their looks, and you will love their sound, so you might be able to get away with this ones.

www.accessories4less.com has Canton onwalls, which I have heard are very good, but have never auditioned. Actually, I think that the pic you have there is Canton's.

I wouldn't loose my time with any other onwalls.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'll second the KEF KHT line... 5005.2, the 6000 or the 9000 (but it's expensive).

Not sure where you live but hopefully there are retailers that you can listen to these sets near you... Truly amazing performance for the size/price.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Maybe look at the ORB audio lines. Very highly rated and artful design. Depends on your budget, I guess.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/13000022

I love the line "value priced from $12000". Classic.

I've heard that for that price they'll even throw in free divorce papers.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 /forum/post/13000113

I've heard that for that price they'll even throw in free divorce papers.

Great Comeback.....

thats some funny stuff...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts