AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have known from building Hi FI systems for years that cables and your wire you use make a big difference in sound. It also makes as big a difference on HD Plasma setups as well. I just found out by playing around with them a little. One of my cables is alot brighter than the other on my new set.

Any help would be great thanks!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww /forum/post/20826639

I have known from building Hi FI systems for years that cables and your wire you use make a big difference in sound. It also makes as big a difference on HD Plasma setups as well. I just found out by playing around with them a little. One of my cables is alot brighter than the other on my new set.

hmm, what are the differences in your cables?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

Quote:

Personally, I also like the monoprice cables. I use a 50-foot monoprice HMDI cable for my projector and the quality of the picture convinced me that monoprice cables were just fine for my TV. So I use monoprice HDMI cables for my 60" Panasonic plasma, and I am very satisfied.

That being said, it is a free country, and people should do what makes them happy. If you want to buy a more expensive HDMI cable because in your opinion there is a difference, then, IMO, people should not badger you top much with comments about how all cables are the same. That's arguably diverting the thread, at least after the respective points of view are aired.

Therefore, in an attempt to answer your question, I would recommend, in terms of higher priced, but still fairly inexpensive cables, bettercables.com and signalcable.com. In terms of the higher end, you could look at wireworldcable.com and audioquest.com

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
I bought a couple of HDMI cables from MonoPrice. Very good quality. Great price. I've also brought cables from Price Express and I have never had an issue with any of them. If you are seeing a difference with your cables on the same set and you are using the same source then there is probably a problem with one of them.

Ian

·
Registered
620 Posts
The monoprice ones work great, but after using them for a few years I find, for me personally, that they don't work well with my set up. The cables are extremely thick and difficult to bend if your equipment is close (

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit /forum/post/20826935

The monoprice ones work great, but after using them for a few years I find, for me personally, that they don't work well with my set up. The cables are extremely thick and difficult to bend if your equipment is close (

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 /forum/post/20827049

I've used monoprice hdmi cables for years and they are excellent. I don't even consider going anywhere else for any kind of cables. If you are even a little paranoid of quality, just go with the lowest possible AWG rating.

+1 - excellent cables! The 24AWG rated HDMI cables work great on my Samsung D550 3D plasma, my Panny BDT210 3D Blu-Ray player, and my Comcast DVR. I use a 12 foot and 15 foot length HDMI cables. No issues what so ever, and the price is fantastic! I won't puchase cables anywhere else, but Monoprice!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a set of cables from best buy when I bought a new ST 30 60 and they are terrible and destroyed the picture. I will take them back. So a TV is not like a single ended stereo set up it is balanced?

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww /forum/post/20827583

I bought a set of cables from best buy when I bought a new ST 30 60 and they are terrible and destroyed the picture. I will take them back. So a TV is not like a single ended stereo set up it is balanced?

Could you please explain your question again, keeping in mind this section is for HDMI questions, which are digital cables. We don't deal with XLR balanced cables here. Also what is an ST 30 60? How did they destroy your picture?

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww /forum/post/20828261

The picture was way dimmer and lost all detail. Is HDMI a high output line level source to where cables do not make much difference? on Audio at low level say phono it is huge! Thanks.

HDMI is a digital cable. The audio cables you are discussing are analog cables. Now they are all copper based but all an HDMI cable sends are 1s and 0s. Changing the cable does not make the 1s any straighter or the 0s any rounder. They are just simply 1s and 0s.

In the analog world you had low level sources such as phono and mic that required a pre-amp to bring it up to line level. You also had higher voltage speaker outputs that needed to be stepped-down to get down to line level (which was usually a bad idea from an impedance standpoint). In the digital world, you just have 1s and 0s. No line level, no speaker level, no phono level.

As far as picture dimming, that is not a function of the cable. That is a function of menu settings in the source and the sink (the Panasonic HDTV, in this case). Check those out - particularly TVs have unique settings for different inputs. Again, 1s and 0s - no cable knows how to change those to dim the picture or reduce resolution - only smart devices know how to change those.

In case you are curious, I believe the maximum voltages seen on any of the HDMI pins is 5.5V (5V typical) with some pins using 3.3V. However, those more familiar with the HDMI spec may be able to provide a more complete answer. But none of these pins produce an analog audio or video signal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thankyou for all you replies,it appears it was the caps or cats but also the cable is suspect.I called Pannie and they straightend me out. I will tell you what I know and this applies to this Plasma set big time. I use a sophisticated set up for AC power feed to the TV. It really cleans the power up. I have been collecting old test gear for ages. Most people have no idea the power supplies on most of this stuff is cheesie and if you clean the power you see results of night and day. The picture on this set is good without it in my area but when I put the TV through a highend filtering device with a AC power generator along with a 3500 watt isolation transformer.People would not believe how much further this pushes a TV or stereo. Garbage in Garbage out as they say.

People come over and say I have never seen a picture that clear or 3D with a 2D setup and it is my power supply doing it's magic. You can pick up some good used gear that will clean your line cheap not audio stuff or that retail cheeseie filters I mean real gear,the setup I use would retail for 10 or 15 thousand and I have about 6 or 7 hundred tied up in it. Massive gains.

·
Registered
19,753 Posts

Quote:

Just look for High Speed HDMI certified cables from a reputable retailer and you'll be ok. The cables will be certified for specs that most systems can't implement yet (color spaces, resolutions) so they will work just fine with whatever you have as long as your system supports the other specs (ARC, ethernet, etc).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.