AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time finding just the right upconverting VHS/DVD combo player and recorder.

Or.. is it better to get these separately?

Wide open to suggestions.. and if needed direction or link to a post, article or review that might help.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
bobkart- would not it be simpler for a beginner to buy a combo HDD such as the panny E75? They would not have to wire their VHS VCR into the DVDR and hassle with that.. I have not tested the 2006 E75 so I cannot speak for its upconvert HDMI play but the e15(2006) which I have records very good quality.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I'm hoping goldenstrand is capable of running an A/V cable from the VCR to the DVD Recorder. Yes there are other complexities (cable feed), it has not been established that goldenstrand is a beginner by the way. And even if so, there's no time like the present to learn these things.

It could very well be that for some people, a combination unit is the best way to go. The tradeoff is a bit more simplicity, in exchange for:

- less flexibility in how you can hook up the components in the combination unit compared to separate units, including (usually) inability to add one of those black boxes that enables copying protected VHS content.

- less quality in each of the components typically in a combination unit compared to separate units.

- this one's the killer: sooner or later one of the components in the combination unit will break. Then you are stuck: you can't just throw it away because part of it still works. Repairing it might be an option but the cost will probably exceed the price of a new separate unit. Then you are back to where you would have been had you started with separates, except you are taking up more space with a combination unit that is half-broken.

He asked if it was better to get them separately and I gave him my opinion. Not knowing his exact situation, that's the best I could do. If that answer doesn't apply to him, so be it. Remember that he is wide open to suggestion. So feel free to suggest a combination unit if you really feel that is a valid suggestion. I don't. (But it's likely that different people have different opinions.)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am looking for brands to look into and will look into those mentioned so far.

Here are some of my projected or current specs:

DVD, VHS, player, recorder and tuner will be used with a Westy TV Monitor that does not have any tuner. Still trying to decide on buying the Westy 37W3 now or the newer version of the 37 or 42 inch when they come out.. and wondering when they will come out.. April or May? My viewing distance is 3 feet for work and 9 feet while surfing the net or watching movies or sports.

I don't like a lot of wires, but do like the flexibility that Bobkart has mentioned. Bobkart, can you suggest any brands for the separate set up you advocate?

I have a PC that could be used with my entertainment center with a TV tuner card, Fusion HDTV5 RT Gold.. and an ati 1800GTO graphics card I am thinking of upgrading to one of those new ones that will be coming out from Ati or maybe the GeForce 8800 GTS..??

I was hoping to get good upconversion.. at least to 720P of old dvds.. is upconversion possible or desirable on vhs?

My Budget is $400-700 and I am flexible on this, just don't want things to get too expensive.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenstrand /forum/post/0

Bobkart, can you suggest any brands for the separate set up you advocate?

The Pioneer 640 is the current favorite around here (if I may speak for the Forum in general, apologies if someone disagrees!), and mine as well. I have the Pioneer 633 (the 640's predecessor) and it works fine (EPG notwithstanding). If I could get one for under $300 out the door I'd seriously consider it.

VCR's I won't be much help with. I've had numerous VCR's over the years, still have several of them, none are current models though. I suspect they are getting hard to find. But under $100 for a decent one shouldn't be too difficult.

That just leaves an upconverting DVD Player. Easily under $100. Sorry, no specific recommendations.

So that's ~$500 for the three components. Yes there will be some wires, to me that's unavoidable. You tend to only deal with them once though.

The other reason to go for separates over a combination (especially the upconverting part) is that far fewer DVD recorders have all those features (VCR, upconverting). This reduces your selection, often ruling out perfectly fine models because they don't upconvert or have a VCR section. Going with separates opens up your selections greatly.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Well- lets hold it here- Though I do not own the Panny E-75 it does have HDD and VCR built in with HDMI. Bobkart says if something goes wrong you are screwed- not if you buy they very inexpensive Panny 3 year warranty for 100 bucks which I did on my 2004 E-500 HDD, although have not needed it. Separate VCRS are as bob said getting hard to find. This to me is the best combo HDD unit around but only VF seems to have bought one so I will defer to his philosophy if we can awake him from his lady super model.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I won't deny that the E75V might have promise. It's just not an option I would ever take. So for that reason you won't hear me advocate it. You are still screwed when a failure happens after the warranty is up. Just once I went the combination route and regretted it. Fortunately Costco's generous return policy saved the day. The combination TV/VCR/DVD Player was not for me but for my girlfriend, in an effort to reduce the remote control count. The DVD Player part failed within 6 months. Never again. She's up to 5 remotes (TV, STB, VCR, HDD/DVD Recorder, DVD Player) but if something happens to one of the units it can be easily swapped out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.