The first-person shooter is one of the most intense gaming genres, requiring lightning-fast reflexes and precision to succeed. Whether you are on the battlefield in a war simulation, or fighting aliens in a sci-fi FPS, these are tha games that get your heart pounding and adrenaline flowing.

AVS Forum wants to know what you think are the best FPS titles, be it for PlayStation, PC, or Xbox. Feel free to suggest new, or classic titles. Top results from suggestions will be compiled into a “Best FPS Games” list that’s informed by your nominations, and if you leave a snappy description of why you nominated the game, it’ll be included in the list.

A very brief history of FPS

FPS was birthed back in 1992 with Wolfenstein 3D, with 1993’s Doom cementing the genre as a phenomenon that has lasted to this day. A few years later Half-Life came along and upped the ante by inserting story elements. According to Wikipedia, GoldenEye 007 brought the genre to consoles back in 1997. The first-person shooter is one of the most popular genres in all the world of gaming.

Looking forward to seeing your suggestions. Also, feel free to suggest more than one title but if possible, please leave a reason for each nomination.

--------

We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in this article. Learn more about how this works here.

The Best FPS Games According to AVS Forum Members:

Wolfenstein Reboots

Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014)
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (2015)
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (2017)

Wolfenstein: Youngblood (2019)

"Since the reboot of the Wolfenstein series on modern consoles I'm hooked again. Which I all consider as a series of one game." - @sprins

"Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014) is my favorite FPS of all time. It has an incredibly interesting alternative history game world. (Told as if Germany had won WWII). Gun play was fun, level design was a cut above, it was all very believable." - @Archaea

Titanfall & Titanfall 2

Titanfall
Titanfall 2

"Titanfall is an amazing fps. Since it is only online it is the one and only game I have played online and became competitive at." - @shepP

Halo Franchise

Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo 4

Halo 5: Guardians

"Halo franchise. They're fantastic games all around, and really pushed video game standards as a whole for a decade. Video games would be different without this series. Halo 4 and 5 are questionable when compared to the Halo games that came before, but are still good FPS games when judged on their own." - @Canadianatlas

"The best FPS game of all time is Halo 2. Even though the game's true ending had to wait till Halo 3 (hey, nothing's perfect), It had the whole package at the time, nothing else has even come close since imo. You really had to be there to know how groundbreaking it all was. The game is excellence defined." - @discspinner

Far Cry 5

"There is a great story, lots of humor, upgrades for characters and weapons, and there is a good level of tactics involved. It isn't just a run-n-gun game, you have to pick off some enemies with a sniper or close-quarters takedowns before you go in and start shooting. FarCry New Dawn was pretty good as well." - @clint357

"The original Far Cry was the FPS that really got me hooked. Colorful tropical setting, intentionally cheesy dialog of the bad guys, and a wide open area which allowed a variety of approaches to progress through the game - all of that makes it truly outstanding." - @southleft

Doom Eternal

"It has it's detractors, but I nominate Doom Eternal as best FPS of all time. Maybe best game of all time. It has it all: fast action, great art design, perfect ballance of health vs. ammo, upgrades, secrets (exploring)... I could go on." - @DaverJ

Half Life Series

Half Life
Half Life 2: Episode 1
Half Life 2: Episode 2

Half Life: Alyx

" I started gaming relatively late in life, but have played countless FPS games since, and nothing else has had quite the mix of story, action, and revolutionary advancement of the genre. And part three continues to be the holy grail of gaming." - @snudley

"I've never come across anything that surpassed the first Half-Life or the first Unreal. Both had great stories that didn't rely on an excess of cut scenes and they also weren't too complex." - @willieconway

Battlefield Series

Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 2
Battlefield: Bad Company
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield 1

Battlefield V

"I have always been partial to the Battlefield series - made sure the first custom PC I built could play BF1942 way back when and have enjoyed the “historic” ones since. Still play BF1 and BFV regularly on Xbox One because the combination of large maps and player count with vehicles adds a great strategic dynamic, it’s not always about maximizing your K/D ratio." - @rennyrb

Grand Theft Auto 5

"My favorite game of all time, and the only game I play regularly, when I go online I become a citizen of Los Santos. First person mode makes it all the more visceral. Technically an action game as opposed to a pure FPS, and not the newest title around, but it has a first person view mode, which transported into a first-person shooter. GTA Online is an amazing world and the game enjoys continued, frequent updates." - @imagic

Heretic and Hexen

"Both games based on the DOOM engine (though much improved), but the gameplay was so much better with the inclusion of cooperative multi-player gaming. I have (many) fond memories of dragging my computer to a friends house, setting up a 3 computer 10base-2 ethernet network and spending the day playing these two games." - @TheSpif

A (Brief and Incomplete) History of FPS Games

Wolfenstein 3D is commonly attributed as the first FPS, it was released in 1992. Then Doom established the genre as a phenomenon that has lasted to the present day. A few years later, Half-Life introduced story elements and upped the ante for this game type. Duke Nukem 3d (1996) was a phenomenon, a sequel to 2D a 2D platform game bringing tongue-in-cheek humor to the genre. GoldenEye 007, according to Wikipedia, introduced the FPS genre to consoles in 1997. Today, the first-person shooter continues to be one of the most popular gaming genres.

This article will be updated as new suggestions come in.

Cover art from shutterstock.com