AVS Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I said change direction in terms of going any direction that you need to go to avoid a hotspotting. I was not advocating a new projector. There are many things that you could consider. smaller screen. Sitting closer to the screen. A different screen. Settling for less foot lambers. A multiple of things that you would have to weigh.

I'm not sure if you've seen hotspotting before. But when you see it, your eyes will focus to it multiple times per minute. It's like seeing a stuck pixel turned red on an LCD display. Your eyes always focus to it.

if you don't want to entertain any other ideas, you'll have hotspotting. And you're not going to like it :)

-T
At nearly 2:1 throw ratio, with a projector that is not super bright, how bad will hotspotting be in general, and the really bad effect you are talking about that is super distracting, will this be constant or just for scenes like panning over a blue sky that is very uniform, so it's easy to see the difference in brightness?

I'm definitely looking to avoid bad hotspotting, but it seems like at least some screens around 2 gain dont have a bad problem with it. So it's a question of how high can I go before it's a bad problem, with low lumen projectors and a pretty long throw distance.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
You know what would be a good idea? you can still create threads to get information, but you should create a dedicated thread in this forum here:. General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

That way you'll have one spot for all of your equipment, your throw distance, screen, etc. that's what a lot of people do. It might be beneficial for you to do that too.

I created one a few years back cuz I wanted folks to see what I had so I can get information. Mine was more cosmetic than anything.

Just something to think about.

-T

Reactions: ng4ever

·
Registered
49 Posts
Guys - you should really consider my posting #30 in this thread. I spent a lot of time and energy comparing the products on the market - you are doing my work all over again but without including the winner.
The guy who developed this screen created something really special and even if his product maybe is not available in your country it is possible he can point you in the right direction which screen should fit your needs.

Some pictures are from the homepage but they don't differ from reality.

Hotspot - no issue

Loss of light / picture quality sitting not even nearby the the screen (who wants to watch a movie from this angle anyway).
Dark room and with ambient light:

Comparison with other products and Gain 1 (with light)

Black level (Panasonic PT AT6000E) with low ambient light

and daylight

And at the end - Gain 1 (small sample in the center) vs the Screen in 3D with an Epson LS10000 (shot through ELPGS03 glasses)

:geek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
And here in a "batcave" - 16:9 screen and a movie with an aspect ratio: 2.00 : 1.
(black bars top and bottom should be visible when the black level in the movie is brighten up - here it isn't)

·
Premium Member
24,813 Posts
You know what would be a good idea? you can still create threads to get information, but you should create a dedicated thread in this forum here:. General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

That way you'll have one spot for all of your equipment, your throw distance, screen, etc. that's what a lot of people do. It might be beneficial for you to do that too.

I think that that would potentially eliminate a lot of responses.

In my case, I don't visit those more general forums because I don't want to wade through a lot of material I'm not interested in.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The ST130 G4 is absolutely incredible. It's the best screen I've ever owned or seen. Not only does it resolve all the detail at 4K, show a tight pixel grid, but it also has gain with almost zero speckles. I went back and forth with samples of the ST100 and ST130 G4 and finally settled on the ST130. Glad I did.
A lot of Severtson and Stewart Screens are made in the factory by the same people. Just saying up to a certain size.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,808 Posts
A lot of Severtson and Stewart Screens are made in the factory by the same people. Just saying up to a certain size.
They wont have the same coatings, which is the majority of what makes the screen the screen. By comparison, the majority of chips are made in the same factory (TSMC) right now also by the same people. But no one is claiming that nvidia / amd GPUs and amd / arm CPUs are the same.

·
Registered
294 Posts
They wont have the same coatings, which is the majority of what makes the screen the screen.
I do not know the finer details. Question is when you go to Mcdonalds and order a Big Mac , how many times have you been told we are out of burgers. JVC projectors are very popular you can still get 1 in less than 2 weeks. Studiotek 130 why does one have to wait for 2 months to get one. Please do not tell me they sell that much, a good business would have stock knowing they have the best screen. At least some buffer. People have been waiting for 2 months and still no screen. Or they a good screen and odd business practice. Usually not a good practice = average product. Does not make sense to me. If you are that confidant you carry them. Are they good I honestly do not know , when you are that good you care about your customers and do not make them wait.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,808 Posts
I do not know the finer details. Question is when you go to Mcdonalds and order a Big Mac , how many times have you been told we are out of burgers. JVC projectors are very popular you can still get 1 in less than 2 weeks. Studiotek 130 why does one have to wait for 2 months to get one. Please do not tell me they sell that much, a good business would have stock knowing they have the best screen. At least some buffer. People have been waiting for 2 months and still no screen. Or they a good screen and odd business practice. Usually not a good practice = average product. Does not make sense to me. If you are that confidant you carry them. Are they good I honestly do not know , when you are that good you care about your customers and do not make them wait.
You missed this edit:
By comparison, the majority of chips are made in the same factory (TSMC) right now also by the same people. But no one is claiming that nvidia / amd GPUs and amd / arm CPUs are the same.

You cannot expect dealers to stock screens because they're all different sizes. They're always made custom. So there's always a lead time.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
JVC projectors are very popular you can still get 1 in less than 2 weeks. Studiotek 130 why does one have to wait for 2 months to get one. Please do not tell me they sell that much, a good business would have stock knowing they have the best screen. At least some buffer. People have been waiting for 2 months and still no screen. Or they a good screen and odd business practice. Usually not a good practice = average product. Does not make sense to me. If you are that confidant you carry them. Are they good I honestly do not know , when you are that good you care about your customers and do not make them wait.
Geez, I rarely rant on here but in this case I take offense to your comments above. It is pretty obvious that you know little or nothing about heavy manufacturing supply chains. During this pandemic, the state of California and more specifically, the county of Los Angles was completely shut down with the only exceptions of what they termed as "Essential " business. Fortunately for Stewart Filmscreen, we were able to keep our doors open because we supply a lot of critical visual products as a subcontractor to the defense and aerospace industries and got categorized an an essential business. During this lock down, many of our own seasoned employees, some with underlying health conditions, elected on their own to take some time off and therefore reducing in-house resources. Since we manufacture our screens in house, we had no difficulty supplying just screen material but that is only half of the package. That said, we have all our custom framing extrusions milled for us using our factory owned dies. Our normal pre-panademic turnaround times from the aluminum extruding mills were running 6-8 weeks from time of order. Then suddenly, because of the pandemic, the mills were quoting 12 to 16 week turnaround times because they were experiencing supply chain problems themselves with raw materials and in-house labor shortages. We are now also experiencing acrylic plexiglass shortages that we apply rear projection optical coatings to. That supply chain is in extreme demand as the acrylic is now needed for protective shields in restaurants, banks, education, etc. The past 12 months have not been fun.
At this time, if one orders a home theater size screen from us and starting the clock from the time we receive a valid purchase order from the dealer, our turnaround time is 10 to 15 working days to the time we put the product on a truck for shipping to the customer. Mr. Sargeant, if you truly know of someone waiting over two months for their screen, then send me by PM with the details and I promise you, I will personally look into it and investigate to see what the facts and/or issues are. Anyway, Rant Over!

·
Registered
294 Posts
You missed this edit:
By comparison, the majority of chips are made in the same factory (TSMC) right now also by the same people. But no one is claiming that nvidia / amd GPUs and amd / arm CPUs are the same.

You cannot expect dealers to stock screens because they're all different sizes. They're always made custom. So there's always a lead time.
Thanks for the Reply Don. I did miss it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Unlike other screens with gain i've used/seen in the past, there was no subtle hotspot and the edges of the image didn't look any dimmer. To my eyes at least. I'm not sure of the science behind it, but it's something to do with High Power screens being retro reflective rather than angular. To my knoweledge there are very few if any current retro reflective screens in production these days. Move off center and the image wasn't as bright for sure (somewhere around 2 gain), but it looked uniform across the screen. This was with a 3m wide sofa, however, and the experience may be different at more acute angles. The most impressive thing and something I didn't believe until the HP was installed, was zero artifacts. Well, there was the occasional and rare (might notice one every few movies or so) sparkle - like a bright pixel you'd see for a split second and then gone - but nothing like you see with regular screens with gain. Studiotek 130 G3 material (I haven't seen G4) was way worse, for example. Not that they were bad, far from it - just that High Power had no issues at a way higher gain, looked like an enormous flat panel and with none of the weird shimmering in bright scenes/pans.
Agree 100%. Still watching and loving my 120" 2.35 HP2.8 screen every day. Have never seen any sparkles and the image is perfectly uniform and very watchable even way off axis, though, of course dimmer, but still bright and watchable. Been looking for all the issues that all the posters warn me about, but have never seen them, and I have excellent vision and have been known to be OCD about these things. Then again, most of the naysayers have never seen one of these screens. All the theory is trumped by the reality of the image.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts