AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wanted to get opinions and recommendations on which of the newer LED LCD TV's would still have good connectivity for older analogy, maybe some good converting chipsets to bring it to to best PQ possible on the screen and also a TV good panel quality with IPS my favorite, but others ok, decent viewing angles, good response times and top of the line tuners for ATSC, QAM, and NTSC.

Any ideas?

I need a couple more analog inputs than the average guy, so some like the new samsungs won't work... and I am concerned that some of the analog to digital chipsets being are not up to snuff, so if you are aware of any bad ones in otherwise top of the line LED LCD TV's, please let me know.. Just looking for recommendations on which LED LCD TV to buy..

Considering anything from the older, but still good Sony XBR8 to something newer and lighter. 85-90 pounds for a TV is upper limit weight wise to spare my old back.

46 inches minimum and up to 60 or so. Please share an LED LCD TV that you think might be a good one from 2007 to soon to be released.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well I would recommend the Samsung LN40B630 line LCD or its LED equivalent brother.

Why?

Because I was at Best Buy and next to the Samsung I mentioned above there was a 46 Sony XBR, they showed the Winter Olympics graphics logo panning across the screen. And on the Sony the edges were fully of jagged lines jaggies.

But on the Samsung the edges were smooth and clean

they also showed some commercial, in the Best Buy in house HD feed, and some man in a suit had his back turned to the camera on a white background, and where his shoulders of his suit met the white background the Sony XBR had jaggy lines and pixelization. But the same scene on the samsung the image was clear and perfect with no video rendering problems or processing errors like the Sony had.

I can't tell you what to buy, but its unlikely Sony is worth the extra cash unless you are going Top Top of the line. With a Best Buy extended warranty.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

That helps some in regards to standard definition broadcast... what about analog input?

I would like two pc's connected and be able to get audio for both.. hdmi is problem with realtek 883 chipset, so for my pcs i need two audio inputs that go with video from pc to tv.

I want and LED LCD...

I heard the Sony used a cheap analog chipset on a recent model, so I just wanted to make sure that analog will get very good PQ ... any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
NBC has used HD cameras in the "filming" of all of the Olympic events. So comparing Olympic event content from a SD digital or analog channesl is not a valid comparison of an HDTVs to upscale and/or display upscaled programs "filmed" with SD cameras.

VGA and Component analog interfaces can provide just as good PQ as HDMI or DVI interfaces for program content "filmed" with HD cameras or for content "filmed" with SD cameras and upscaled for broadcast on a "HD" channels.

Each year the top of the line models from each HDTV manufacturer contain more powerfull video chips which also have improved algorithims for upscaling SD resolution content from analog channels, digital channels or standard DVD to the TVs native HD resolution. And the newer chips migrate down to the bottom of the line models in about two yeas.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks,

my concern is that the set I buy has a good analog chipset for processing the dvi or vga or component.. i heard there were some problems with this on recent sony's.. so.. would i need to go back in time to say an XBR 8 to make sure I get top quality analog processing from the pc to the tv or from an old vhs or do i need to go with some other led lcd maker.. sammy B8500 looks good, but heard some things about lack of connectivity for component and rgb analog.. so can anyone recommend a set or.. let me know what sets to avoid?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
If you are going to mostly watch analog TV get a CRT based set on Craigslist for cheap. They will actually look the best on SD material. You can buy yesteryears top of the line HS/XBR Sony sets for $100-$200, Big screens go for $300-$500.

When you decide to go HD the LCD sets will be even cheaper.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my question remains..

Good to Excellent LED LCD TV at least 46 inches in size with a very good analog input chipset for displaying vga and component input and also a very good to excellent at displaying High Definition digital TV and Blu Ray.

If anyone knows of a TV that will fit the bill, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
It might be of use for you to check out the Video Processors forum. There are companies that specialize in making external processors for your purposes that would undoubtedly exceed the performance of anything built into a tv set. It sounds like you're not particularly price-sensitive so although these aren't always cheap and do involve an extra "box" the resulting PQ will be better than anything a tv alone could achieve for SD sources. Prior to the advent of HDTV or even dvd many dedicated home theaters used high resolution crt based front projectors that required this kind of processor for converting 480i Laserdisc (the highest quality video source thru most of the 80s and 90s) to the higher resolutions. These processor companies are still in business and still making excellent equipment.

It should be remembered that the focus of tv mfgs. is on the average consumer whose SD sources are actually dwindling away--most have totally abandonned VHS for example, the vast majority of popular broadcast and cable/satellite channels have HD feeds now, and BD players do an excellent job of upconversion for standard dvd. Mfgs. have to meet a price point so they would logically tend to put less money into processing for sources most customers won't be using very much. This isn't the only area in which people with somewhat specialized wants or needs are being shortchanged--witness the near dissappearance of Picture-in-Picture.

While I know this isn't the specific answer you were looking I just thought I'd throw it out there as a better solution from the standpoint of meeting your specific needs.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
While it is clear that the OP would like a TV with superior processing for his SD sources, this is the kind of thing that some people use for their video processing.

http://www.anchorbaytech.com/dvdo_edge/

This would probably meet your needs, but it costs $700.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I think the OP is still confused by the fact that analog and component interfaces can display HD content with exactly the same level of detail as DVI or HDMI interfaces.

And what he may be really concerned with as many of you have mentioned is the conversion of programs "filmed" with 480i SD cameras and received by the TV's internal tuner or sent to the TV from another source over a VGA, Component, or DVI/HDMI interface in 480i or 480p resolution.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input... but, I am looking for recommendations for a TV first and foremost... just to stay on topic.

I am looking for recommendations of LED LCD TV's so if anyone can recommend an actual TV it would be greatly appreciated.

I like analog more than digital, but realize TV's today have a decidedly digital bias and TV's in the future might not have analog at all if the current trend continues.

A friend of mine from Japan said in his reasearch they had Analog displays at least in research capable of 25,000X16,000 resolution... we are a long way from that today, but... we all know that the move to digital is more about control over HD content that High Definition itself.

I want to have HD capabilities for the TV in both analog and digital.. all the new tv's have pretty good digital, but some have had some problems with the analog inputs from the computer or from an old vcr or dvd player, etc.. come to mind, I read one post hear on AVS that said that the one of Sony's XBR9 line up had a really poor analog chipset and with great source material to work with, made the great source material look badly causing all sorts of image degradation.

My priorities in an LED LCD TV are in order:

1) HD viewing angles... single panel.. I need to use for work and play. so sometimes I will need to sit up close to it.

2) VGA, DVI and component input, both audio and video. I have heard and read of some horror stories of really bad chipsets used for the "old" tech that would wreck things from whatever source it is sent to the tv.

3) The standard upconversion abilities. This ability is third on my list and not nearly as important as the first two items. I can rely on the PC and graphics card to do this work over vga, or dvi or even dvi to hdmi... AND... finding a tv that has an extra audio input to two that goes with HDMI input would be something I am hopeful of finding.

Just looking for recommendations on LED LCD TV's that might meet my requirements.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
There are not longer any CRT (analog scaning technology) TVs sold in the US. All TVs curently sold in the US today such as the Plasma, LED, LCD or DLP models use fixed pixel digital technnology.

Plasma HDTVs have wider viewing angles than LED or LCD, however, since they use more power and do not have as bright displays I do not keep track of them since all of the LED or LCDs I have reviewd have viewing angles wider then I would ever need. Also since I am not a gamer I am not concerned with the lag time inherrent in some LCD models which are not an issue with plasma models

I personaly have a current generaion 55" Vizio LCD model.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't need an analog crt tv... thanks for the suggestion on the vizio.. they have really improved their products over the last couple years so I will take a look at the LCD model.. I was hoping for an LED model... what do you think of the older Sony 46 XBR8?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18200373

There are not longer any CRT (analog scaning technology) TVs sold in the US. All TVs curently sold in the US today such as the Plasma, LED, LCD or DLP models use fixed pixel digital technnology.

Plasma HDTVs have wider viewing angles than LED or LCD, however, since they use more power and do not have as bright displays I do not keep track of them since all of the LED or LCDs I have reviewd have viewing angles wider then I would ever need. Also since I am not a gamer I am not concerned with the lag time inherrent in some LCD models which are not an issue with plasma models

I personaly have a current generaion 55" Vizio LCD model.

Not any NEW CRT sets. On Craigslist people are unloading them like hotcakes for cheap. Even the once top of the line stuff like the Sony XBR's are going for cheap.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenstrand /forum/post/18200713

I don't need an analog crt tv... thanks for the suggestion on the vizio.. they have really improved their products over the last couple years so I will take a look at the LCD model.. I was hoping for an LED model... what do you think of the older Sony 46 XBR8?

The best I can do is tell you which panels had the best picture quality with Standard Definition material. Whether the processing is done by analog circuitry or digital, I couldn't begin to tell you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the input, guesses are ok.. just looking for recommendations on LED LCD TV's you think might fit the bill... if you don't know about say the NTSC tuner or analog to digital converting process, just add the caveat.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18200879

Not any NEW CRT sets. On Craigslist people are unloading them like hotcakes for cheap. Even the once top of the line stuff like the Sony XBR's are going for cheap.

yeah a buddy of mine got a Sony KP-57HW40 for free the other day beast of a CRT RPTV and it had not been used for many many years either so its in great shape and no failed convergence chips yet!

i got back from doing the convergence on it for him a few hours ago and its looking great. if he cared more about the picture i'm pretty sure with more time i coulda got it back into focus a bit better than it was but its looking pretty awesome for a 8 year old 1080i RPTV, much better than my jacked up 6 year old Phillips CRT RPTV

also seeing the basketball game on it tonight reminded my what real motion resolution looks like

to the OP your not making much sense in your needs. analog TV in the US is dead. no longer exists really unless your playing VHS tapes on it or something everything is digital now signal wise.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18201566

yeah a buddy of mine got a Sony KP-57HW40 for free the other day beast of a CRT RPTV and it had not been used for many many years either so its in great shape and no failed convergence chips yet!

i got back from doing the convergence on it for him a few hours ago and its looking great. if he cared more about the picture i'm pretty sure with more time i coulda got it back into focus a bit better than it was but its looking pretty awesome for a 8 year old 1080i RPTV, much better than my jacked up 6 year old Phillips CRT RPTV

also seeing the basketball game on it tonight reminded my what real motion resolution looks like

to the OP your not making much sense in your needs. analog TV in the US is dead. no longer exists really unless your playing VHS tapes on it or something everything is digital now signal wise.

I used that exact model (KP57HW40) for 5 1/2 years with no problems whatsoever. Mine was an early production model with the original Panasonic guns. The video processor was made by Philips. I sold it to a brother-in-law back in '06 who gave it to his son in late 08 and it's still going strong. All I ever did outside of an AVIA calibration was go into the service menu and change the color axis to fix the red push in the color decoder and clean the optics twice a year, never even had to do a manual convergence on the beast. Had really great audio too. Never really did much vhs on it but laserdisc looked pretty decent.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts