AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got star wars episode I on LD from japan. (bought becase I heard the AC3 soundtrack was beyond the dvd being it had no compretion and was the only 6.1 LD(still need a RF mod to take advatage of but ill be ordering one on thursday)) I thought it looked very good for an LD. It had a few probloms but was much better then most of my older LDS. Although my MIB ld looks good too.

But for you LD fans what would you say are the BEST looking LDs.??

Yeah I know theirs DVD and some will say junk the LDS for DVD. But I like Both I have more DVDS then LDS. I just prefure a nice fairly clean picture over a highly compresed DVD. I just hate mpeg artifacts. That's what bugs me the most about DVD. Although I've noticed dvd have been more 2 disc versions letting the movie on on disc and SF on the other. And a lot have HD transfers which amount to far less noticble compretion.

I also like to collect the not on dvd or in WS movies (star wars orginal cut, a goofy movie widescreen, the shadow ws, ace ventura WS)

But back to the subject at hand

1.What LDS have the BEST PQ?

2.also what LDS have great sound any that surpass DVD with the right equitment?

Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Doobie Brothers - Rockin Down the Highway: The Wildlife Concert

Back in the day, I remember marvelling at what a crystal clear picture this laser disc had. Excellent sound too! :)

And I was really dissapointed with the DVD which seemed to have far lower resolution. :rolleyes: Too bad because it's an excellent concert.

·
Registered
28,070 Posts
 Questions

Answers

FYI, Phantom Menace was not the only Dolby Digital-EX laserdisc; it was just the only laserdisc officially credited as EX. Some of the last LD releases including Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me were also EX encoded.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I believe THE HAUNTING remake was another EX LD. As for great transfers, there are more than you might think. ENEMY OF THE STATE (Will Smith/Gene Hackman), TRUE LIES, MISTER ROBERTS, GODFATHER III, and the DTS edition of TITANIC (four that beat the current DVDs easily, although the upcoming remastered 6.1 TITANIC will probably change that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Questions

Answers

FYI, Phantom Menace was not the only Dolby Digital-EX laserdisc; it was just the only laserdisc officially credited as EX. Some of the last LD releases including Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me were also EX encoded.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Soundwise, "Casper" and "The Shadow" are hard to beat...

htomei

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
From LDDB.com Dobly Digital EX LD's

Reference Title Specs Released Video Country
ID5956LI Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999) LBX/AC3 1999-11-16 NTSC USA
LD 85238 WS Bone Collector, The (1999) LBX/AC3 2000-03-14 NTSC USA
LD 85420 WS End of Days (1999) LBX/AC3/Uncut 2000-04-18 NTSC USA
PILF-2835 Fight Club (1999) LBX/AC3 2000-05-26 NTSC Japan
ID9219DW Haunting, The (1999) LBX/AC3 1999-12-28 NTSC USA
PILF-2826 Haunting, The (1999) LBX/AC3 2000-04-25 NTSC Japan
PILF-2830 Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999) LBX/AC3/THX 2000-04-07 NTSC Japan
PILF-2842 World is not Enough, The (1999) LBX/AC3 2000-08-04 NTSC Japan

·
Registered
359 Posts
I thought that the LD of Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Xmas was one of the best-looking discs I had ever seen. Man I love those ol laserdiscs! That 12" format is soooo fine for graphics, liner notes, and "holdability."

·
Registered
394 Posts
The DVD technology should have been implemented on LD's No silly compression here and you can have any audio format you want. Would have been cool.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I belive their were squezze LDS. They requred an ws set the video info was squzzed down for ws.

Their was also a short run of MUSE LDS which I belive were HD.

And as for specail fetures. Really who waches them but some lds included commentarys and making of stuff. The stars was definitive colection included commentary on select scences and had many specail fetures I belive some aren't on the DVDs.

But most are very expensive becase of the short run. Dvds were gaining momentium so lds were on their last leg.

But if they put dvd tech on lds it would confuce many pepole and LD with that tech would never take off. I think ld wernt as popular over here becase the tech was always one step behind. The shere size and the fact you have to swap out disks. Many players could only read one side at a time too.

But I mainly collect them becase most lds are good enough quility for me. Most are dirt cheep on ebay. (Exept the rare and great movies) and now that I have a player that reads both sides I can watch most of my movies with out getting up. I really had dvds haveing thelong intiractive menus takes for ever to start the movie. Preveiws suck too. Lds are nice in that the movie starts right away. Even vhs have sevral preveiws before the movies starts plus it just stero. But I still prefure my svhs for recording on the fly over my dvd recorder. I like I can just turn it on change the channel hit record. Dvd recorder take 30 seconds to start up. But for timmer recordings I always use my dvd recorder. Becase of the incresed quilty and the fact I can select the progam rather then fast fowarding

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Correct. There were a small number of anamaphoric laserdiscs pressed. The MUSE LD was only from Japan and they were in analog hi def with I think 1030i or something like that in terms of resolution. I've heard some were pretty crummy looking and others were fantastic.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Much like dvd some dvds look amazing (sin city) were as others look terible (best of times(robin williams, kurt russell).

Didn't the UK brodcast analog HD I think they called it QAM or somthing. But the bandwith requrements were like super high.

I'd guess that's why the US never tryed brodcasting analog HD the bandwith and all. But I'm all for digital TV but it seems like every brodcaster cable,sat,OTA compress the heck out of the signal resulting in a bad picture.

I'd like to get DVHS my self but its just so spendy. That's another format ahead of its time but becase of costs,low demand and a HDdisc format around the corner it will never happen. I just hope theirs no format war (wishfull thinking) why can't the componeys just agree one format and be happy it save them a lot of money.

But back to LDS. I get paid tomorrow (thursday) so I can buy my rf demodulatior and maybe a few sugested movies. Although I see a lot of the late generation LDS sell for qwite a bit.

BTW. On the abyss LD how are the blues. I've noticed some lds do high levels of blue badly and reds. For example hunt for red october LD o thought the blues(water) and reds (red sub lighting) looked bad. But starwars ep1 looked great for an LD. The skys were nice.

I might pick up nightmare on xmas as well.anamation ussully looks good on LDs. My goofy movie looks great. I suposse it becase its solid colors rather then many diffrrent changing colors.

·
Registered
28,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx
BTW. On the abyss LD how are the blues. I've noticed some lds do high levels of blue badly and reds. For example hunt for red october LD o thought the blues(water) and reds (red sub lighting) looked bad.
That's called "chroma noise" that you're seeing in reds and blues. The better the comb filter and DNR processing in your player, the more that noise can be reduced. Quality mastering of the disc is key, however.

It's been a long time since I've watched The Abyss laser. I don't recall it being too bad for chroma noise.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have the Criterion Lawrence of Arabia on LD and think it looks great.

Am thinking about getting the superbit version on DVD because my old LD player cannot output DD or DTS (or even S-Video for that matter).

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Wow. The transfer for the laserdisc of Lawrence must be ancient. I'm sure even the okay-but-not-great Superbit transfer blows it out of the water.

Fond memories of the The Abyss laserdisc. Really detailed and good color.

·
Registered
579 Posts
So......I guess I should get the Superbit then ;)

It's been a long time since I've watched it on LD. I'll get the SB just for convenience sake (and DTS and anamorphic etc.)

I really should e-bay off my LD's one of these days.

There was a guy at a local garage sale recently who had hundreds of LDs, most in great shape. I don't think he sold a single one.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man, I would have loved to be at that garage sale proboly could have swopped them all up for cheep. Keeped the ones I wanted and sould the rest on ebay. Here in minnesota most pepole I know have never even seen an LD. They seem to be more of a cost thing. Most of the lDS I buy come from the east. (New york, maine , mass, florida.)

Odly I got my star wars definitve collection from MN.

Man, I can't belive how much those rf mods go for I don't want to spend 150+ for a little box. Being my ld player was only 70 with shiping (pioneer cld-504, got becase of duel side reading man that's nice)

·
Registered
28,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul
Wow. The transfer for the laserdisc of Lawrence must be ancient. I'm sure even the okay-but-not-great Superbit transfer blows it out of the water.
The original DVD was sharper and more detailed than the laserdisc, but had a very inaccurate color transfer. The Criterion LD was better in that respect. The SuperBit DVD features a new color transfer approved by Robert Harris.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.