AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best sounding in ceiling, in wall, and outdoor speakers? My definition of best would be the purest, most natural sounding speakers. For example, if money and appearance were not factors, I would place Wilson duettes on my walls, but it would be both too expensive and too obtrusive. In my present house, I used NHT's everywhere. I like them, but I was hoping to upgrade in the new house we are buying. I was thinking about Kef, Martin Logan (several lines with different price points), HDT (is the hype correct?), Tannoy or ??? Maybe B&W as well, but everytime I compare a well reviewed B&W speaker against the competition, the B&W -- although good -- never prevails. I see lots of posts about Polk and Paradigm. Because there are diminishing returns in speakers once you get to a certain level and because architectural speakers are limited anyway, I want to buy the best value with the best sound. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would go on-wall. I have used in-wall (better than in -ceiling) and not been 100% happy. Monitor Audio 60s are liked. How about just the next NHT up? which do you have, zeros? They always needed a sub in the room for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with the comments; instead of in wall speakers, I will use small bookshelf speakers (like the Kef LS 50) which will sound much better than in wall speakers. I still need to find out the best sounding in ceiling speakers (for unobtrusive music in various rooms in the home) and outdoor speakers. I want to learn about the Triads, but I think they are more expensive than Kef, Tannoy, Martin Logan, and HTD. Given the inherent limitations in in ceiling and outdoor speakers and the diminishing returns once you hit a certain quality level, are the Triads worth the extra money? Which speakers are at the center of the quality/diminishing return axis?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I listened to B&W CCM683 8" in-ceiling speakers versus the MartinLogan 8" EMR and some Sonance speakers and was surprised that I preferred the B&W speakers, which had a fuller sound with more bass. the salesperson said the fuller sound was due to the Kevlar in the B&W speakers. I am interested in trying the Kefs to hear how they compare.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If I were looking for the best in wall speakers, I would look at Triad. Their speakers are built with a back box, so you don't have to worry what size you wall cavity is or how insulated it is, none of that affects the sound. They are built better than most traditional box speakers and sound amazing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts