AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suppose I want to get a dedicated sub-subwoofer (for say about 10hz to about 30hz), using my current subwoofers (2 x ACI Titan XL) for about 30hz to crossover with mains (currently at 80hz).

What would be the best choices out there?

Seaton Submersive or Terraform? The new Hsu that's supposed to be flat to 10Hz? ...?

(I don't think I'm handy enough for DIY.)

FYI--the room is closed off and about 13'x17'x8'.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thigpen Rotary!!

Seriously though? IB, then something like the Seaton properly set up, Custom/DIY if you're patient and know what you're doing (lots of help in the DIY forum)

You might want to consider shakers for those frequencies.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
SVS 16-46+

Get duals and set them to 12hz....in room you'll get down below 10hz response...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Do you want vaguely audible 10-15hz or usable 10-15hz? Big difference.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_templar_32 /forum/post/12950569

Suppose I want to get a dedicated sub-subwoofer (for say about 10hz to about 30hz), using my current subwoofers (2 x ACI Titan XL) for about 30hz to crossover with mains (currently at 80hz).

What would be the best choices out there?

Seaton Submersive or Terraform? The new Hsu that's supposed to be flat to 10Hz? ...?

(I don't think I'm handy enough for DIY.)

FYI--the room is closed off and about 13'x17'x8'.

That's a nice, small room. Send Mark Seaton a PM, and see what he comes up with for you. Make sure you have a budget prepared, and watch what he can do.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Response to 10hz is certainly doable, but once you have it how much material will you actually find to play down there?

·
Registered
665 Posts
having a sub that is capable of real playback at 11Hz, I can tell you that there is plenty of great material down low. If you can swing the terraform in your room (they are very big) they are truly unbelivable. I am constantly blown away by how much power they have down low.

One thing to note is that the terraform not only goes very low but also is quite responsive, musical and quite flat from 70Hz to 11Hz.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubesys /forum/post/13037093

having a sub that is capable of real playback at 11Hz, I can tell you that there is plenty of great material down low. If you can swing the terraform in your room (they are very big) they are truly unbelivable. I am constantly blown away by how much power they have down low.

One thing to note is that the terraform not only goes very low but also is quite responsive, musical and quite flat from 70Hz to 11Hz.

I have no doubt that the Terraform can hit hard way down low, but what great material are you talking about down below say 15 or 16hz? Other than a rare couple of seconds out of a small handful of movies and some test tones, what else are you listening to down there?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I'm aware of the list of movies with deep bass content, but I have my doubts that you or anyone without using some sort of measuring equipment, could tell the difference in the sound if a 15hz high pass filter is switched in or not. If one could tell the difference, I believe the circumstances would be extremely rare and the volume would have to be very loud. That would make for an interesting experiment.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am willing to bet most are not going to have the output 10hz-15hz to make it noticeable.

I have decent output @ 5hz, and can not really notice it.

But it would be a fun experiment.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Nothing compares to the Eminent Tech TRW 17.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am not sure why you guys think that there is not enough output at 10-15Hz range to be audible or make a difference.

While I agree that many subs just throw numbers around without being able to back the claims, a few do really perform at these levels and do so quite well. That being said, there is usually a big compromise that consists of price and size of the sub to reach these levels.

In my case I have 2 terraforms which are 40"x30"x20". everyone who has heard these subs in action can attest to the results. You can ask guys like Art Sonneborn and Jeff the bland who both have amazing systems with termendous bass what they think about the output down low.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Most do not have enough output. It takes nearly 110db @10hz for me, to notice it. The minimum threshold is around 100db @10hz, and I don't feel that is noticeable. How many home theaters have over 110db @10hz at listening position? Not many. less than 5%???

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
If a movie has 10hz and 30hz material playing at the same time, you wouldn't even know the 10hz material was there....right?

I experienced the Eminent at CES a couple of years ago, and while impressive, I didn't feel it was that useful.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts