AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do these correspond to the HD2, HD2+, HD3 ... and where does the dimple fix come in?

I have read other posts and other sites and find them rather confusing mostly contradictory (hopefully this post won't go that direction).

I'm considering purchase of a Dwin TV3+ or TV4 and want to know what the extra money for the TV 3 buys.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The dimple, or what TI calls the vias, is reduced to the point that it is very difficult to see on my H79 which uses the DarkChip3 or DC3. Rated CR for the DC2 is 1823:1 vs. 2370:1 for the DC3, due to improved mirror reflectivity (due to the smaller dimple and the superior metal deposition coverage) and a reduced pixel gap. The mirrors on the DC3 are said to move faster.

Dan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dan: can you see a very very little spot, which is a little lesser bright, inside every pixel on your H79 projector? I assume that this is the "dimple" inside every pixel.

My reason for this question is that I have just bought a H78DC3 and if you can also see this little spot on your H79 I am 100 percent convinced that my H78 has indeed a DC3 chip mounted (and is not a H78DC2+) because you can in no way distinguish both projectors in Europe; not on the projector itself, not inside the manual and not on the text printed on the shipping box.

Bas Schulten, the Netherlands

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I went back to double check and it can be seen as a very faint pinpoint that just about blends in with the grain on my High Power.

BTW, it might be technically more correct to say the dimple is the part of the vias that shows on the mirror surface.

Dan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dan,

Thank you for checking, this is the same "spot" I see on my projecta high contrast screen: indeed you have to look very hard to see this dimple.

Now I am sure that I have bought a H78DC3. This projector gives indeed a much more bright picture with lower blacklevel than my previous H78DC2+ (although the difference in blacklevel was not as high as I was hoping for; maybe it is getting better using a colour or ND filter) but I was not convinced 100 percent before you checked for the visible dimple.

I nearly can wait for my projector to pass the 200 hours "burn-in" so it can be ISF calibrated (not by myself).

___

Bas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.