AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still trying very hard to understand this stuff call "speakers". As the title says, What are the merits/demerits of a big driver vs multible small drivers? I am going to pull the trigger on a set of Seaton Catalysts/sparks/submersive, but I keep reading reviews on speaker with multible smaller drivers having amazing bass comparible or even better than bigger drivers. I have not purchased a set of speakers for music or HT (this is my first time) so I have absolutely no reference point to work from and I have researched as much as I can on SPL and db levels ,so to all you audio experts, can someone explain to me the way things are.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone????

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I think in this case multiple is many multiples. You have to think not only about total surface area but also the amount of excursion available, and in general smaller "normal" woofers are not built to move nearly as far as a sub driver is. Plus, the more drivers you have in your system, potentially the farther away you have to get for the speaker to integrate audibly. SO unless you want to come up with something having, say, 10 6 inch drivers per side and sit pretty far away, the more conventional approach is more likely to give good results.

But I do remember a girlfriend dragging me to a Grateful Dead concert in the '80s, and it seemes like their speakers were a giant wall of identical 6 inch drivers. Nothing bigger in sight. Sound was good, but there were many many drivers visible, and may have been subs under the stage or in some other place where I could not see them.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Dave,

I am currently enjoying the Catalysts in my room. They replaced the AV123 Rocket RS1000s which contain many smaller drivers. While there are many design differences between the two speakers, the results are hardly comparable. The Catalysts really add more detail and effortless dynamics at every frequency. I also listened to the LS6s and the results are the same.

Also, they are amazing for critical listening. We use the Divertimenti BD with 24bit 192KHz as a nice reference.

In summary, if you can justify the investment then you should really do it and not look back.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz /forum/post/17041553

But I do remember a girlfriend dragging me to a Grateful Dead concert in the '80s, and it seemes like their speakers were a giant wall of identical 6 inch drivers. Nothing bigger in sight. Sound was good, but there were many many drivers visible, and may have been subs under the stage or in some other place where I could not see them.

There are small speakers with long excursions. And large ones that don't. A smaller speaker has to move further to make a similar sound compared to a 12" or 15" woofer.

In short, all audio is moving air. A large space requires more air to be moved. Small speakers in a small space can sound just as good as big ones in a big space.

And, I bet there were some 12" or 15" speakers somewhere at the GD concert. Lots of air needed to be moved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.