Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys....

I'm thinking of building -- or better yet even just buying -- and new PC that will be designed to do the following:

-- sit in my a/v rack

-- record and timeshift over the air HD content and play back that same content

-- play mp3s through my surround sound system

-- play the PC game Jeopardy! (my fiance is going to insist on this)

Are there any PCs on the market that will be able to do this out of the box?

What are the min. compomentns I'll need to do it? I'm new to the HTPC idea, but not to computers in general. Any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of front end does the the myHD card work with?

Does it work w/ MediaPortal? What's the best fit?

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
The MyHD has quite a minimalist interface that only controls the HD viewing (live, recorded and timeshift) plus DVD playback if you use it for that. It is not like an all encompusing front end, ala Meedio or MCE, that does everything including music and stuff.

The MyHD only works with the interface that it comes with, it does not work with thrid party front ends (unless you count Girder as a front end).

MyHD is mostly like a VCR replacement (plus timeshifting). It has an OSD that allows you to do everything you need from the remote, but it does not do all the flashy stuff like other front ends (what it does do it does every well though). If you want a complete one stop full feature front end you should look into something like meedio, MCE or Sage TV.

The MyHD card has onboard hardware playback for ATSC (HD) video. Therefore, pretty much any computer made in the last 4-5 years will work. Other options that are software playback based (those mentioned above) require beefier setups. However I do not have a lot of experince with them.

-Suntan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.