Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I was daydreaming about the possibility of upgrading my main receiver and it dawned on me that there is no reason to get a new one. I have most of the key features I need. Back in the day (just a few summers ago), everyone needed:

- DPL II

- Composite to S conversion

- Variable X-Over

- 7 channels

- Multi-channel input

These features are now common in most receivers at many accessible price-points. What features should I be waiting for now? The only one I can think of is:

- digital multi-channel out (firewire)

Any others?

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
How about digital multi-channel IN for (DVD-A/SACD) with switching? Or HDMI interface (probably firewire?).

Dsmith

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I want a Digital Link between DVDA/SACD

I want a full featured crossover with paramatric EQ on the Bass Channel

I want Ethernet or some sort of Network Connectivity.

I want 6.1 Sound at a minimum.

I want local memory for storage of all parameters with context switching

I want Bluetooth capability in the remote for transfer of data.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I think everyone has a good list going....

To add to the network connectivity, I would like to see a web based interface to control the receiver/preamp. I got a feeling this already exists in some of the really high end stuff.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would like to see a much better OSD. Low-res mono displays really "dumb-down" a nice setup. DVI and Networking (through firewire or standard networking connections) would be great connections. You should be able to customize, update, and program your remote, receiver, and other components all through a computer. Add to this much better automatic EQs like MCACC on steroids that you can view the effects through a computer. All things done with the aid of a computer should be able to be saved for later comparisons by a simple upload back to the receiver.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I think most have summed it nicely, additional (more than 2-3) wide-band component switching, digital 5C Firewire for SACD/DVD-A Signals, DVI/HDCP switching/pass through, 9+ band parametric EQ on all channels including sub output, auto MCACC speaker setup. Assignable multiple subwoofer outputs. Fully Balanced designs with XLR output. While we are at it, it's possible in the future to have video processing/deinterlacing to 480i to 480p or higher.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm going to wait for a Denon with HDMI/HDCP before upgrading my ancient AVR-3200. My best guess is that I'll have a 2 year wait for a under $2,000 model. Dick

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Sony had a parametric EQ for each channel right now. It was very useful when I calibrated the system. Then again, it took an exponentially longer time to do my setup :)

Is there a Denon with HDMI in the works? Any other receiver? Btw, wouldn't a pass-through type DVI switcher handle any special copy protection codes?

Explain to me how a receiver would handle an ethernet connection? I guess you'd need to use an OSD to find files on the network?

None of these features say I need to upgrade, which is a weird feeling. How can I be satisfied with current technology! How boring!

PS I actually meant to say digital multi-channel IN.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweakophyte
Explain to me how a receiver would handle an ethernet connection? I guess you'd need to use an OSD to find files on the network?
The Onkyo TX-NR900 is such a receiver and it uses it's normal front panel display and the OSD over the composite/s-video out. Onkyo calls this technology "Net-Tune". Here is a brief description of the functionality:
Quote:
The TX-NR900/900E is a network audio client that is connected via a LAN to a PC and allows you to enjoy music files saved on the PC, as well as Internet radio, from anywhere in your home.
This small pdf file gives a good description on how to configure and use the "Net-Tune" features. I have heard that Onkyo's implementation is not that great, but I do think they deserve some credit for being the first to offer these features built-in to an A/V receiver.

Jay

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would like to see an old feature that seemed to disappear on receivers. Alot of receivers have preouts without having power amp inputs. I could use external amps for my 3 fronts, and use my receiver's amps for those channels to run some bass shakers. EQ users would have a place to put them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree that DVI (HDMI) will become a "must have" rather quickly. I think the other "Must Have's" will be features which exist and will begin to migrate to lower price-points (RS-232, USB/Firewire inputs, front panel video monitors, video scaling etc.)

The leaps and bounds over the last 2 years in feature sets found in $1k-$3.5k products is very astonishing.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
What in tarnation is a "power amp input??"

:confused:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus
What in tarnation is a "power amp input??"

:confused:
My dad's really old circa 1970 Sansui Receiver had pre outs and amp in's on the back panel. By default these evenly spaced female RCA's were connected with a nickel U shaped conductor / jumper that attached the hot / centre of the pre out to the amp in. So you could run the preamp section out to an external power amp and or run an external preamp directly to the poweramp stage of the receiver. Ironically this Sansui Receiver is a 4 ch receiver using some type of matrix - early surround sound!

·
Registered
761 Posts
The 49 and 47TX have power amp inputs and the have the thoseUshaped things also for the front 2 channels.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
102 Posts
what can a power amp input do that a pre-out cant?

if yo uwant external amplifiers for your front 3 speakers cant you just get 1 monos or a three channel poweramp to hook up to your pre-outs?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
I want a Digital Link between DVDA/SACD
Pioneer Elite 49TXi and 47Ai

Quote:
I want a full featured crossover with paramatric EQ on the Bass Channel
There is wide range notch and/or parametric filters eq on a number of products.

Quote:
I want Ethernet or some sort of Network Connectivity.
Doesn't Denon have one that's network ready? or was it Onkyo, or Marantz? I know it connects to internet based radio stations and plays streaming audio.

Quote:
I want local memory for storage of all parameters with context switching
Yamaha also supports this through memory banks. I'll have control software out soon that does the same thing.

Quote:
I want Bluetooth capability in the remote for transfer of data.
Doh! Good idea, but that one I can't give you an example for.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cschang
I think everyone has a good list going....

To add to the network connectivity, I would like to see a web based interface to control the receiver/preamp. I got a feeling this already exists in some of the really high end stuff.
Again, I'm working on coding it now. :)

Until then, try Slinke from www.nirvis.com. With a few add ons, you can access and control any system via a web interface. It's a geek-o-philes dream. But I wouldn't expect too much in terms of support.

~D

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalGriffin
Again, I'm working on coding it now. :)

Until then, try Slinke from www.nirvis.com. With a few add ons, you can access and control any system via a web interface. It's a geek-o-philes dream. But I wouldn't expect too much in terms of support.

~D
That is cool, but I was thing more of a two-way interface. ie. call up a webpage and see what all the settings are and to be able to tweak them.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cschang
That is cool, but I was thing more of a two-way interface. ie. call up a webpage and see what all the settings are and to be able to tweak them.
So was I. With the slinke module, two way communication and control with with Sony megachangers is possible from a web page. Slinke can also do two way IR communication.

BIG DISCLAIMER ABOUT NIRVIS Slinke: One of the original developers named Corey has left for Microsoft about a year or two back. Updates and fixes have been sporadic at best, and support has been lacking. However the system is very robust. There are a multitude of supporting add ons. And support groups are active on yahoo. I've seen people use webpages on wireless WinCE devices to switch CD's and control volume halfway across the house. Long story short: You have to be a real tweaker to love this system. (It's almost as much a pain as Kenwood Entre') ;-)

I'm currently working on RS232 control code for yamaha receivers with RS232 ports. The Yamahas would send status information and could be controlled from a web page as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.