AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a review on-line about my projector that I will be getting on thursday.

These are the recommendations for set-up for HT use...

Enter the menu and select Function, then Screen, then Resizing. Under Resizing, select No, then Enter, to save the setting. To display anamorphic (enhanced) widescreen material, you then select NTSC Wide on the Display menu. For standard 4:3 material, select NTSC. The latter displays 640x480 pixels, and NTSC Wide projects 800x480. The latter calculates to an aspect ratio of 1.66:1 (the European widescreen aspect ratio), but this did not result in any visible aberrations.

To play standard letterbox (non-anamorphic) material, you must use the NTSC setting (not NTSC Wide). But the letterbox will then appear in the center of the smaller 4:3 NTSC picture. To then fill the screen width with this letterbox, you must zoom the image up, or switch to VGA in the Resizing menu. The first option requires a very long throw distance (lens-to-screen)—my experience suggests at least 18 feet for a 78-inch wide picture. Switching to VGA rescales the image to use the full 1024x768 pixel count of the LCD panel. While you might think that this resizing would increase the quality of the image, SS reports the opposite; the most obvious effect of the rescaling is an increase in visible motion artifacts.

My question is , what's the point of having an XGA set if I am only going to use 800x480 and 640x480 for most material?

Could I have just purchased a unit that does 800x600?

What exactly do VGA, SVGA, XGA and etc. mean?

------------------
James' DIY Speakers

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
James,

Most of the 4x3 shaped LCD/DLP PJ's are created with the first user in mind...the PC. They sell many more for PC use than they do for HT use.

PC's use 4x3 exclusively while HT can use either 4x3 or 16x9 depending on the TV system.

The number of pixels in the PJ element determines how high the resolution can be coming from a PC.

VGA = 640x480

SVGA = 800x600

XGA - 1024x768

There are other "XXGA" formats like UXGA all the way up to QXGA which is like 3000x2000.

Because your particular PJ has to letterbox an image greater than 4x3 (or 1.37) you will be using less vertical pixels to create the image. 1.66, 1.78, 1.85 and 2.40 are common aspect ratio's and each time you will use less vertical pixels. The hortizontial should stay the same as long as you use the entire width of the PJ element. If any "windowboxing" is done the H. pixels will decrease.

Why not buy an SVGA PJ...less pixels even yet.

Lee

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.