AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
A trigger is on the back of some components. An example would be a receiver. You would put some wire at this trigger and attach it to another trigger on the back of another component. The second component would have it's power button pushed in and the trigger from the rec. would turn the 2nd component on or off everytime you would turn the rec. on or off. Sort of like an I-link that some components have from the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Does anyone sell a power strip or something of that nature that could be controled by the trigger?

I would like the pre/pro to trigger the power on all my amps, but the amps don't have a trigger. If it could trigger a heavy duty power strip, this would solve my problem.

·
Registered
16,977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO /forum/post/13102553

Does anyone sell a power strip or something of that nature that could be controled by the trigger?

I would like the pre/pro to trigger the power on all my amps, but the amps don't have a trigger. If it could trigger a heavy duty power strip, this would solve my problem.

Yes, they are available. Monster offers a one, I think, but I'm sure some other manufacturers do, too.

Panamax

A bit pricey. I'd search around for the best price you can find on one. Check Belden and Furman, too.

And if anyone is interested, I can link you to a useful item that does the opposite so you can use a receiver's switched outlet to trigger triggerable devices.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I actually had one from Sears, it was built for their power tools. You plugged it into the wall, then plugged the receiver into it. When the receiver started drawing power, this unit wouls sense it and power up the two sockets on the unit. It was around $30 also. I just thought there might be something a little more hitech (but not cost a ton of money)

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can also find some home automation products that will also respond to these triggers. The trigger is typically a low current 5-12v dc electric signal. There is the X10 powerflash module that will take this and convert them to a X10 on or off signal which can then drive appliance/lamp modules. Check out www.smarthome.com for some of these devices.

http://www.smarthome.com/4060.html

I've got one of these to trigger my cooling fan when my receiver turns on or off. What's cool is if you invest a bit more you can build a automated scene lighting to dim the lights and so forth when you turn the receiver to DVD input. That's provided the triggers on the receiver can be programed to send a signal based on input/mode selection.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO /forum/post/13102553

Sure. I used a Xantech XAC1 which is just a switched electrical outlet rated at 15 amps. Paid about $70 (shop around) . At the time I was running 6 stereo amps off it (7.1 with actively tri-amplified mains).

You could also buy yourself a solid state relay and stick it in an electrical box with a cable hanging out.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

Quote:

I actually ended up getting a Bud box, a 15 or 25 amp 240 volt relay, a circuit breaker power entry module and some IEC sockets, and building my own. That's a lot lower cost than the things you can buy, although doesn't quite match the finish. Given that it's behind all the gear, that doesn't matter to me.

Mouser or DigiKey will have the parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.