AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a month or so away from getting a rear projection HDTV.

I currently have a 36" set that fits on a stand that holds my center channel speaker. If I move up in size, I obviously won't have the underneath cabinet as an option. Do you guys put the speaker on top of the set? I know the toshiba's have center channel input. What are some other options? I am not crazy about having it on top of the set.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Top, angled down at the center of the viewing area.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
29 Posts
After much experimenting I found that I got better imaging and timber matching with the left/right main speakers by placing my center channel on a low stand in front of my Mitsubishi 65" widescreen aimed slightly upward toward ear level. However, that may not work well in your room so your best bet is to experiment.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Same as Ken, top angled down at the center of the viewing area.

Larry

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have my center speaker on top pointing straight out. Seems to work fine. You will probably find that the built in speakers (65857 at least) sound pretty good. I have mine set in the simulated surround or whatever they call it and was surprised at the "simulated" depth of sound. Good enough for Jerry Springer :)

Steve

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi B Smooth,

Some sets, like my Pioneer 510, allow you to use the TV's own speakers as the center speakers. That works well for a small room like I have. Sure gives you the correct position for the center channel. Speakers may not be the best, but works OK for me.

Good luck in your purchase.

------------------

Have a Great HDTV Day,

Fred

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I use the center channel input on my Philips. Audio purists may be appalled, but my middle-aged ears, having been exposed to way too much rock 'n roll when younger, aren't that picky.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
136 Posts
I also have my center speaker on top of my Mits ws-55857.

I purchased a triangular metal black stand that can angle the center speaker. The stands are adjustable. You can purchase this at any High end store for only about $25.00.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have the center speaker on top of my Toshiba 65" widescreen (TW65X81). It works great. The Toshiba has an input that they claim is for using the television's speakers for the center channel. However the input provided is a preamp input and it can not be connected to my 5.1 channel amplifiers speaker connections.

Actually I like having the televisions speakers available for nornmal television use. I use them instead of the 5.1 channel sound system if someone is sleeping in the house.

Rick

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R:

Actually I like having the televisions speakers available for nornmal television use. I use them instead of the 5.1 channel sound system if someone is sleeping in the house.
I've found the most important thing in that regard is to turn the subwoofer OFF. Beyond that, turning the bass control down helps, too. The higher frequency stuff doesn't propagate through the house framing very much, if any.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Peter,

Just curiosity...

You seem to have that 4 bay bowtie aimed in a rather unusual manner. Is there a reason why you did this? (Always looking for anything to improve the reception!)

Dave

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dave,

I was having dropouts with one station which was Fox channel. But when I tilted the 4221 bowie the dropout was cured. I tilted the antenna at about 45 degrees and it picked up more stations. Now I'm getting all Los angeles dtv and San Diego dtv as well, and I'm about 3 hours away from SD. I used to have this antenna on a straight up position but had to many problems on a straight up mount. I found out that the Cm 4221 works best when tilted.And all signals are coming in as 98 and peak is at 98.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
165 Posts
The top of my Toshiba TW40X81 is very thin and my center channel speaker would not have been very stable perched there. I mounted a wooden shelf on metal brackets on the wall (solid plaster) centered behind the set, slightly above the level of the screen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got my center channel on top of the TV, and pointed downward using a couple of rubber doorstops from Home Depot (~$1.99).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.