AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Here's the deal. I cant take it any longer, I have this uncontrollable urge to add more to my theater room... I have been a Z1 owner since thanksgiving and have been more then happy with the image i've gotten from my DIY gesso'd blackout screen and my current Behr Ultrawhite screen. I just can't help wondering if things could be even better. I'm considering ordering some HCCV fabric for another DIY project and i'd just like some opinions as to what other Z1 owners are using

·
Registered
161 Posts
snide,

Your on the same path as I am, DIY blackout but will eventually upgrade to a HCCV or firehawk, but was just hit with a 3K vet bill so that will be on hold for a while.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm very happy with my 92" canvas-style stretched 16:9 blackout cloth screen. I must have lucked out when I got it from JoAnn's, as I have compared it with samples of all the Da-Lite screen fabrics with all sorts of films, and none of them improve on the overall picture...(the highpower was better, but only for one or two seats, otherwise it looked the same as the blackout 'off axis'...really only a couple feet from the sweet spot! - not much good there...and one of the other Da-Lite fabrics (I think it was HCCV) gave slightly better blacks, but the whole picture was darker too).

I also got some flat Behr Ultra-Pure white and put that on a large sample....not any improvement.

As I said, I think I lucked out in getting a TRUE white batch of blackout (I'm using the vinyl side). Sure, I've heard about folks getting a blue or greenish tint, but thankfully none to report here. It looks completely the same as the Da-Lite Matte White, and I found this to be the 'best' screen for my application (totally dark room).

Besides, with the Contrast Linearity (item 16) tweak in the service menu, who needs high-contrast screens. ;)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Ben_Tech. I have blackout now and am very impressed with it. I was all ready to order the Hi-Power, but I opted for a sample first.

Guess what? I like the blackout better.

I've also tried Behr Eco-Gray, Ultra White, and Gesso.

Those are all sure a lot of work for no improvement imho.

(They all make a different picture, but not actually better)

Maybe Goo will do the trick, but I would really have to see a sample in my own theater.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DustinF
Maybe Goo will do the trick, but I would really have to see a sample in my own theater.
Ditto! I requested a sample but did not get a reply. That is all right...I'm sure Ken gets too many requests for samples to make it viable. Back to watching the great picture! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Da-Lite HCDM and the results are excellent. The blacks really stand out with the gray color of this screen, and the whites are not compromised either. I will post some shots later.

High-Contrast Da-Matâ„¢: A smooth, gray vinyl surface for high-output LCD and DLP projectors. This surface improves the perceived contrast by lowering black levels. High-Contrast Da-Mat is a flexible, unsupported vinyl fabric that may be folded or rolled. Available on all models offered with the Da-Mat surface.

• Flame retardant

• Mildew resistant

• Screen surface can be cleaned

• Projected image is brightest to the audience 45° from the center of the axis of the screen

• Goniophotometer reflectance reading is 0.8. The higher the number, the greater the light transmitted to the audience.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does Da Lite sell just the material? I just purchased the Sanyo PLV 70, 2200 ansi lumens and no ambient light, I want more black, and if the brightness goes down it wouldn't hurt my feelings, I almost need sunglasses when screen changes to a white scene. I too am using blackout DIY screen, Pretty happy so far, but I was thinking if I put some grey on it that it might help, any thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
so you guys that painted your blackout cloth yourself did not see any improvemen with Behr UltraWhite? wow, I'm glad I read this post I was getting ready to head home and do that very thing. I am happy with the present picture quality with native "vinyl" blackout cloth.

·
Registered
222 Posts
wruss64,

yes Dalite does sell just the material. pm me if you want the name of a dealer.

btw - i am a z1 owner and am using the hi power pull down model b (no csr) - so far i can say i am very happy with the results. no waves and a nice bright image. there have been lots of threads on the hi power with lots of good feedback and info....take a look.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I also have a High Power (model b w/CSR). I would buy one again for my 1HD, having seen a small number of other screens with Z1's. My room is often dark, but I have some light in the day.

If you are looking for Da-Lite fabric, you could also try AVS. They do sell the screens and might be able to sell the fabric. I have never asked them about fabric only.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well I just finished a day of painting my blackout cloth screen, well worth it. Much better and cleaner picture now with my Boxlite 20hd. I just went to home deport and got some flat glidden winter something or other that the color was between some da lite samples I had. I have an airless sprayer so that was good. I did notice the material got rough whe i sprayed it so I lightly sanded in between coats with one of those little sponge type finish sanding blocks, figured it would be more consistent flat surface. Material cleaned up nicely, hardly applied any pressure, didn't take long I did notice that when i sanded over the wood cross pieces in back it showed through a little on the front, the outline, doesn't hardly show up in viewing except in real white scene, I can live with it. So this is a must for anyone with blackout cloth I believe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Get the HCDM or any *other* screen fabric from AVS. Best pricing I could find, just for the "fabric"/vinyl. Attached it to a frame made out of 1x4 lumber (which was screwed to studs), and masked using 9x12" Black Foam sticky-back sheets I found in the crafts/fabric section of WalMart. works great, looks great, and for the Z1 is a better match in a light controlled room than a higher gain screen imo.

Pass it along to friends and other people you see posting in AVS forums - give AVS a shot at your business - never hurts to ask what they have available, etc.

The vinyl, btw, is robust: I never felt it was going to rip or tear while I power-stapled it along the wood framing.

For a projector of this power, I would make the same decision that a negative-gain, grey, high-contrast screen was the best solution.

I'm really pleased with the picture, chroma and hue balance, etc. I work in a fully-digital HDTV-ready tv station, so I'm used to accurate flesh tones, etc. on calibrated studio cameras and broadcast monitors. On a well-mastered DVD, the picture using the Da-Lite HCDM screen material is wonderful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Snide

Patrick could not have said it better. I have exactly the same experience with HCDM. I bought mine thru another vendor, but the lower gain (0.8) makes a big difference with the Z1(1HD). Keep in mind you want to control your lights; at home even with ambient light from 4 60-watt bulbs in the kitchen area I can see a pretty good picture. Will post some pictures soon if I can get my cheap digital camera to work right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.