Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving and have a choice of 2 rooms in the new house:

#1 12x10.5 this is a seperate room that can be light controlled and closed off from the rest of the house, the closet is at the back of the room and that could hold all of the equipment, so that stuff would not take up any additional room. I would envision sitting in front of the closet and projecting 12ft to the far wall.

#2 The second room is a loft that can't be closed off: 13x12. In this room the closet is on the long side wall, so the throw distance would still be limited to the 12ft. The problem is that one entire wall is open to the downstairs, and that would probably throw a wrench in my acoustics and light control.

The basis of my question is: Does anyone on here have a crt in a room as small as 12x10....my other alternative is to use a digital simply because the smaller box and zoom features would allow more adjustment in terms of placement and picture size. If anyone else is dealing w/ a room this small i'd love to see pictures or direct me to your gallery.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think room size mearly reflects on what screen size is possible, for separation for the sound system, and seating arrangement. The smaller the room, the smaller the screen and the diminished options for speaker and seating placement. Room size should never prevent you from experiencing the pleasure of your projector. It may not be the best, but it is yours and still better than most.

Walt

·
Registered
969 Posts
Was that the world's fastest bump? Most of us aren't even awake here on the West Coast at that time! :D

I have a 12' wide by 12'6 deep "Media Room". The depth allows me to run a 100" diagonal 16x9-format screen (around 87" wide) from my Marquee 9000. It's better than awesome! Although I have had to be really careful about how I have built the room, it's most certainly posssible to build a nice HT in your 12x10 room. The only issue with a room your size is that you'll only really be able to have a single row of seats, and the width would limit that to probably three seats. Also, don't forget that you'll need access to your equipment for changing DVDs (unless you have an automated solution such as a changer or you've ripped them all to hard-disk).

My advice - go for it! Once you start putting it together you'll see all sorts of opportunities to make it work within the space you have available.

Andy.

·
Registered
969 Posts
One more little tip - if you're going to offset your seating to allow an accessway to your equipment, don't forget to offset the screen so that it remains centered at the center of the seat you'll use yourself (I'd assume that would be the middle seat of a three-seat solution). Remember that the 'sweet-spot' for watching a CRT-based movie is right underneath the PJ, so you'll also want to offset the PJ the same amount.

Andy.

·
Registered
838 Posts
12 x 10.5 should be fine for a 100 inch diagonal or even slightly larger screen. You may be limited to one or two rows of seating (possibly a third row for kids :) ), but that size room should be fine. Things you can do to help would be to think about:

1.) Think about using a slightly smaller screen. The first row of seats "generally speaking" should be about 1.5 times the width (not diagonal) of the screen back from the screen. I think the "kids" row can be even a little closer :).

2.) Using a wall for the screen (special paint or fabric mounted on the wall) to save a couple of inches.

3.) Maybe the back row of seats could recline or even recess into the closet?

12 x 10.5 should be fine for a 100 inch diagonal screen. A smaller screen would be even easier to fit into the room. I think it boils down to how much seating you need....

Good luck.

Ed

·
Registered
766 Posts
Manny,

A smaller room is better in some respects than a lager room. Regardless of whether a room has 3 seats or 16 seats, there is one ideal seating position where the audio and video are their absolute best. When you increase room size, you have to increase all of the parameters which make for the optimum experience. A larger room requires larger speakers and more powerful amplification in order to give you the same audio experience as you would have in a smaller room. Similarly, when you sit further from the screen in a larger room, the image must become larger in order to have the same theatrical experience. As the image increases in size for the same projector, resolution drops off sharply, as does brightness and contrast. In short, there are big advantages to having a smaller theater. Bigger rooms with big screens and high power amplifiers are great for bragging rights, but they also cost a lot more. You aren't building your room for the guys on the forum, you are building it for you. As Andy said, you can produce a theater that will blow the socks off of anything owned by the vast majority of people you know.

There is a ratio for screen size to ideal seating distance. I don't recall what it is, something like seating should be 1.5 x the width of the screen. When you sit in that seat, you want your video experience to be large enough so that you feel you are almost a part of it, but not so large that you have to swivel your head in order to catch all the action.

Creating your own Home Theater will take a lot of patience, digging through old posts on the Forum, asking people for advice, and waiting for solutions to materialize. If you are a patient person, and conscious of the time other people spend helping you, you will discover that there are a great number of people here who will take pride in offering you solutions based on what they have discovered here and elsewhere. We are not employees of AVS Forum, and we might sign on for an hour a day, or a few hours a week, so you might have to wait 3 or 4 days sometimes to find the answer you are looking for. I mention this only because you may find that your second note is not going to move many people to assist you.

Doug

·
Registered
81 Posts
My room is 14 1/2' X 24' but really only 14 1/2' 18' usable.

I am still waiting for my CRT to arrive...

Does anyone know of a gallery of pics of a room similiar to that size with 3 walls and an open back wall being used?

I would like to get some cool ideas for my theater. The problem is the back wall is really a walk through for my daughter's room and a hallway. So I either need to use the smaller distance (14 1/2') or use the walkthough area as the "back" of the theater.

But, I still want to do something really nice in the room. I think I could fit 2 rows in there and already have some very nice furniture. And my ceilings are 8 1/2' so Im not sure I could elevate it. Im celing mounting the CRT.

Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone doing something similiar with some pictures I could view? Im trying to actually get the feel of a theater in a living room/game room area that comes off of the upstairs entry to all the other rooms in the house (if that makes sense.).

Eventually I may move everything to the garage which is much larger and build up a 4 or 3 row theater with rising floors. But first I need to prove to my wife this is going to be cool. The garage would mean she has to keep her car outside :)

thanks

John

·
Registered
143 Posts
9.35 x 14.27 works good for me!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good points by all of you, I do appreciate the help and input. Sorry if my bump was a little (alright a lot) hasty.....what is the saying about an eager student....

I'll be able to start laying things out in the next week or so, so I can mock up the seating area and screen size to get an idea of what size is comfortable (probably 92" or 100"). I'm going to keep my eyes open for a used crt (probably sony 12xx series ...unless there is a comparable quality unit that is smaller and in the same price range?) and inspect the attic area for how to attach the ceiling mount safely.

Thanks again for your help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.