Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving and have a choice of 2 rooms in the new house:

#1 12x10.5 this is a seperate room that can be light controlled and closed off from the rest of the house, the closet is at the back of the room and that could hold all of the equipment, so that stuff would not take up any additional room. I would envision sitting in front of the closet and projecting 12ft to the far wall.

#2 The second room is a loft that can't be closed off: 13x12. In this room the closet is on the long side wall, so the throw distance would still be limited to the 12ft. The problem is that one entire wall is open to the downstairs, and that would probably throw a wrench in my acoustics and light control.

The basis of my question is: Does anyone on here have a crt/Digital pj in a room as small as 12x10....I would like to use a crt for picture quality and cost reasons, but my other alternative is to use a digital simply because the smaller box and zoom features would allow more adjustment in terms of placement and picture size. If anyone else is dealing w/ a room this small i'd love to see pictures or direct me to your gallery.

Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just to give you a short answer my room is pretty much the same size as yours... Its a basement room measuring: 16L x 10W x ~7H

So you should be fine, just will have to find a projector that fits your application.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am currently working on a small 10' x 13 1/2' HT. Can't tell you any results, because I don't have any, yet. But, I am anticipating success. There are several folks with small HT's in the forum. Try a search on "small", and you'll find several.

David Grove

·
Registered
4 Posts
The room my wife and I are using is 12.5' x 12.5' square, with an odd entry and a closet that we'll use for equipment. We also had concerns as to wether this would be big enough. We already have the projector (the short throw Sharp DT200), and with our temporary placement and seating (about 1' closer to the screen than we will be in the end), we've been able to get about a 92" 4:3 screen size and still get a good PQ. Though, I have to admit, that this is with good dvd source material. I think you should be ok.

Have fun.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My room size is almost exact as yours (12 x 9-6). It is a small space but I was able to set the room up with seating for 5. I am currently using an older Sony LCD projector, the CX1. The projector is mounted on a shelf on the back wall and gives me a 84" diagonal 4 x 3 image. I too have a closet at the rear of the room and have been thinking of moving the projector in there, but that is mostly due to the fan noise of the CX1. Pictures can be seen at the link in my signature or in my gallery link.

David

·
Registered
38 Posts
My theater is 15 ft long by 9.5 ft wide. I sit back 11 ft on a 102 inch diabonal screen. I would recommend having it in the enclosed room and go with a 80 inch screen. Of course you could do a drop down screen overhanging your loft and have your front 3 speakers mounted to the ceiling. this could give you a chance at a bigger picture. accoustically this could be difficult but you won't know unless you try it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.