AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

AVS Forum is planning a series of buying guides for the holiday shopping season, and we need your help. Each guide will include the top picks of AVS members based on reviews, threads, and—most importantly—your response to queries such as this one.

So, what are your favorite Blu-ray players? Since this is for an upcoming buying guide, we're only looking for currently available models. Simply post a comment with the make(s) and model number(s) and any elaboration you care to add; we might even use your comments in the final buying guide. Perhaps you love the one(s) you own or those you've seen at friends' places. Either way, feel free to include more than one, but please limit your response to the best you've seen among currently available models. You can also consider price and value in your choices—a particular product might not be the absolute best performer, but if it's very good and its price is relatively low, that makes it an outstanding value and worthy of inclusion.

Thanks for helping us help others find the best AV products available today!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
Follow AVS Forum on Google+

·
Registered
57 Posts
I will be buying the Oppo 103D this Christmas.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Does Sony Playstation 3/4 count?

Reactions: fredxr2d2

·
Registered
660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtyr  /t/1496824/what-are-your-favorite-blu-ray-players#post_23882366

Does Sony Playstation 3/4 count?

Well I don't think the ps4 counts yet as it isn't out yet, though I expect it will be one of the best. The ps3 certainly does, and it is the only blu-ray player available that can stream quickflix at the moment (the equivalent of netlflix in the Australia) so it gets my vote as an absolute favorite.

·
Registered
JBL SDP-55, Tascam ML-16D, 3x Bryston 6B SST, 9B SST, 2B-LP, 3x Dynaudio Contour S1.4, 12x Cont. SR
392 Posts
Oppo BDP-103D, due to...

- codefree option

- Darbee integratiion

- Dual HDMI out

- excellent customer service

Just my two Cents

Cheers!

Markus

P.S. Own the BDP-93 and I am happy with it... :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
1: Oppo BDP-103 is my top choice due to it's playback ability of Blu-ray and DVDs is absolutely top quality, it has dual HDMI outputs which is also handy and I am impressed with its solid build quality.

2: Sony BDP-S790 is my second choice and is also not slouch in the playback department either, it too has dual HDMI outputs as well, it has the edge over the Oppo in terms of network features but doesn't have the build quality of the Oppo with Sony opting for a much lighter and to my eyes cheaper looking chassis.....

I own both of these players and I can honestly tell that you would be hard pressed to find two better players for your money....

·
Registered
3,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv038856  /t/1496824/what-are-your-favorite-blu-ray-players#post_23882480

Oppo BDP-103D, due to...

- codefree option

- Darbee integratiion

- Dual HDMI out

- excellent customer service

Just my two Cents

Cheers!

Markus

P.S. Own the BDP-93 and I am happy with it... :)

What is the Darbee all about? Does it provice better pic quality thru HDMI?

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Sony BDP-BX58

Certainly not " my favorite," just happens to be what I have at present. Plays all my content for 2D and 3D and works wirelessly to provide netflix as necessary.

I'm going to purchase a 600ES or 1000ES soon to replace my HW50ES. Since none of these new projectors will upscale 4K content for anamorphic I was hoping

something would be available in January that could do it all including upscale of 3D content too. Not sure if something is coming from Oppo or Lumagen, does

anyone know for sure??

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere  /t/1496824/what-are-your-favorite-blu-ray-players#post_23882782

Many people say yes, one of the rare picture quality enhancing products that a lot of people actually like. I have the Oppo 103 and am quite happy, but for this Christmas the 103D would be the way to go I think. Price wise, the 103 is $500, the 103D is $600. A Darbee Darblet would cost around $300 if bought separately so the 103D would be a great purchase at its price point. As others have mentioned, blu-ray, DVD, SACD capabilities with lots of user tweaking available. Some may like the split outputs of HDMI, meaning you can go straight to your display, nice if it's 3D and your AVR can't pass 3D through it.

·
Registered
660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere  /t/1496824/what-are-your-favorite-blu-ray-players#post_23882782

It is an interesting device. I would say it 'refines' the image you see. It isn't necessarily better per se, but to my eyes when used subtly it is a very nice addition to a front projector setup in particular. I will add to not expect it to make your device looks significantly better, it is best at more subtly enhancements when used to what I consider good effect. In other words you can crank it up and create a disgustingly over processed image but when subtly used it is an extremely nice addition (though it is hard to say exactly what it is doing). There are many places it can be bought and returned should you not like it. I strongly urge you check it out and if it isn't for you, simply return it.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
2,985 Posts
Put me down for the PS3 being my favorite. Of course, it's the only one I've ever owned, but I've never had a single problem with the Blu Ray playback on it. Network functionality is good as well (of course, being an online gaming machine with a decent amount of processing power helps)

I expect the PS4 will trump it significantly when it's released, but I don't plan on getting one of those for at least 6 months (wanna see what the glitches are going to be. There WILL be some, but what form will they take?) so the PS3 has BD duty for a while still....

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
i'm 'forced' to say ps3 as i haven't really noticed any difference between it and any other i've used(which is only the samsung 6500)

i'll be interested if anything other than an oppo gets nominated.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Oppo 103.

More versatile than most and outperforms other players costing twice the price. A real value.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I own both the PS3 and the Oppo BDP-93. I have to give the edge to the PS3 still being a bit more capable. There have been a few cases where I have received some beat up disks from Netflix and the Oppo wouldn't play them, but the PS3 would. Other than that I would say they both do an outstanding job.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
OPPO 103D. Easily. No question about it.

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
Whatever Panasonic unit that is currently around the $100 price point. Cheap, reliable, reference quality playback. Besides that, a BD Rom drive to rip to your HTPC. Discs are for losers

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have only had one, the Playstation 3. 

First I had the OG "FAT" 60GB Model, not sure I would recommend it only as a blu-ray player as it did get very loud before it died. 
Now using a: 
PS3 Slim 250GB model (2009), with an upgraded HDD to WD Black 750GB 7200RPM.

+ Amazing picture quality on Blu-Ray movies! (Keep in mind I have no comparision)
+ Regular updates, never had a disc not play
+ HDMI for 1080p interface/HD Audio formats & Optical output for older recivers and  DTS/DD
+ Plays movies (avi,wmv, mp4), music and pictures
+ Youtube and Netflix
+ Solid webbrowser
+ BD-Live and all that
+ Fairly silent
+ Slot loading drive

- Does not play MKV files
- Does not play .srt files
- Can get loud if running a long gaming session, and then loading a movie
- If you dont use the gaming functionality, its expensive compared to a similar solo Blu-Ray player
- Power consumption: 80 Watts for a Blu-Ray movie  http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10318727-1.html

·
Registered
412 Posts
I own only one, the Sony PS3. I see no reason to change that or get a different one. In fact when I built my HTPC, I did not include a Blu-Ray drive for that exact reason.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts