AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is just for fun - what speakers do you LOVE?

I am a huge fan of Martin Logan's higher end electrostats, Avalon Acoustic ISIS, Harbeth anything, and B&W's 800 series.

What are your favorites?

Ron

·
Registered
484 Posts
Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand for Music!

DefTec BP7002 and CLR 2002 for watching movies, cable, sports, etc.

HSU ULS-15 Sub

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
I LOVE speakers that are inexpensive, highly sensitive, accurate or "neutral", have excellent directivity, high power handling, and a reasonable WAF.

I no longer have any brand loyalty.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Many different ones, and I like all of the ones that I have currently, but the JPW Mini Monitors will always have a special spot as my first HIFI speakers, as well as still the best-looking ones that I have

To mention a single brand though, I guess I'd have to go with Dynaudio.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
my "favorites" are the ones i have now...

but there are many others i "like"...

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19522552

my "favorites" are the ones i have now...

but there are many others i "like"...

+1. I enjoy trying out a lot of different speakers. I've been using Definitive Technology speakers in both my dedicated theater 7.2 and family room 5.1 setups, but after trying about 23 or so different models in the DT lineup (including some discontinued models), I recently swapped out my BP7001sc's and SC II in my family room for a pair of Avalon Symbols and a Rythmik F12SE, primarily for 2.1-channel music. I don't know how far up the Avalon chain I'll make it before trying out a different manufacturer.

With a few exceptions in speaker manufacturers that I know I personally dislike (i.e. Bose, obviously, and Klipsch), there are many that I'd love to try out in my rooms. I'm not necessary a Klipsch hater, and often recommend them to people to audition, but I personally find the horn tweeter very irritating.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
While I've listened to a few different manufacturers I've only owned Emotiva and Paradigm (my primary setup). The Emotiva's (ERM-1s) were my first real speaker purchase and while they don't sound bad I don't think I ever would have purchased them if I knew then what I know now. I got them during their clearance sale and while the price was good for someone new to the game on a shoe string budget the fact that they are power hungry 4ohm speakers and really do need a separate amp (or high end receiver) to drive them at respectable levels in anything but a small room makes them hard to recommend for a new, budget minded enthusiest.

The Paradigms (Studio 20s, CC-590, ADP-590 and Sub-12) however are amazing and while I've only had them a few weeks they continue to blow me away on a daily basis. I was quite apprehensive about spending that kind of money on a home theater given my income and the current economy but it was well worth it and I'll be enjoying these for years to come.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/19522596

With a few exceptions in speaker manufacturers that I know I personally dislike (i.e. Bose, obviously, and Klipsch), ... I personally find the horn tweeter very irritating.

I'm with you on Klipsch for the same reason, but recently bought a Klipsch 12" sub and love it.

Never understood what anyone would like about Bose.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Mirage, Mordaunt-Short, and Axiom are probably my favorites.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The best speakers I ever heard were Martin Logan statement e2's. They are no longer in production and cost about 120k. Paradigm signaures sounded pretty good when I heard them. I curently own 9 Definitive Technology speakers and I'm happy with them. I have heard a lot of speakers that sounded just ok or even poor but since this for favorites I'll leave them out.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/0

Any speaker with an actual low end response. So that cancels out all of the higher end speaker companies.

Wrong

There are many "high end" speakers with excellent and accurate low end response. Add focal Utopias to what has already been mentioned. You know what kind of speakers I don't like? Speakers with lots of muddy low end and mediocre mids and highs. Like the CV's I used to own when pumping up the frat house basement bar was more important than quality sound.

On topic, have Focals now, so they are my favorite. Have also heard and liked Dynaudio, Revel, Paradigm Sigs, and Legacy.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The "best" ones I have personally listened to are the B&W CM9s, Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 8s, Paradigm Studio 60s and Focal 826vs.

For bookshelf types, I would say the B&W CM5 and the Focal 806v.

Call me nuts but, I still really like my Infinity SL50s. They have a nice rich sound to me that is hard to find in new models.

·
Registered
371 Posts
JBL Ti10K (mine, so obviously biased, but I do love them).

Dream speaker - Revel Salon 2. This is only based on how good a pair of Revel's cheaper F32s sounded and how the Ultima2 line looks.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
The speakers i like the best are actually the ones i have now, system audio sa1750's(main). Most probably never even heard of them.Basically its what i could afford(used) after selling what i did have (b&w 603's)to move up.Are there others i would like more probably.But i enjoy what i have and have no further plans.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts