AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in hearing your first impressions of the new HD package. I haven't taken the plunge yet, in part because I didn't want to get tangled up in the mess that took place on Tuesday, as well as I'm still a little nervous about the past negative threads on ESPN-HD and Discovery HD. Basketball season is coming up and I can see HDNET looking like a winner so I will probably make the move soon. The price sure does make it appealing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Go for it! ESPN-HD is pretty bad with this idea of stretching SD. It's HD is OK. DCHD has a wonderful picture but programming can get boring after a while. HDNET/MOVIES , however, are terrific and will more than make it worthy. I love the 70's and 80's movies on HDNET MOVIES.

Sergio

·
Registered
85 Posts
My first impression is that it's definitely worth the money.

Discovery HD:

Although they still do a repeating schedule, they have some very cool programs with some of the best HD PQ out there. I watched a program on Hotrods a few days ago that was just simply awesome. Another favorite: Insectia. Well worth the money.

HDNet/HDNetmovies

These are the channels I expected to be 'filler', but I now think they are a valuable addition to the HD lineup. They have some pretty good older movies; it's just very cool to see the original 'Ocean's Eleven" in HD... I also like their music programs, all in HD, and all (so far) in 5.1. Sometimes the music is by well known artists, sometimes they just set up a camera in a local club to catch a local band. I haven't seen much of the rest of the programming yet, but movies and music alone are worth getting these channels. If you're into sports, you should enjoy these channels even more. I watched a MLS soccer game that was played right outside my window (or so it seemed, the PQ was the best I've seen so far in HD). They also carry college football. Check out the HD programming FAQ on this forum.

ESPN HD

Not being a sports fan myself, won't comment too much on this one, just to say that if it is HD, the PQ is usually outstanding (my wife makes me watch college football :).

There are more highlights, but I can't remember what channel I saw them on. One is a sort of promo for Chicago, with very cool nighttime aerial shots of the skyscrapers and the rest of the city street grid lit up like a Xmas tree.

So, definitely worth the monthly fee. To have a HDTV and not get these channels is a bit of a waste if you ask me.

Hope that helps.

Rino

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well worth it! I have a hard time understanding how people don't find value in the package. They need to think about it differently. If you go to a movie that costs you $10 (that's if you go alone and no food!) for approx. 2 hours of entertainment, most of the time you would say it was worth it.

My take on it is that if I watch at least 2 hours of programming on any of the 4 channels and enjoy it, then that month's $10 was worth it. And you know well and good that I will get plenty more than 2 hours of entertainment. Sunday night football alone is worth it!

I think people who say negative things about the package just like to spout off and are the type that must have 100% HD, high quality programming every minute of the day. I'm sorry, but I'm a little more realistic...just like any other SD channel, there's mostly junk on that I don't watch, but enjoy what I do watch and think it is worth the $40+ a month I spend on it. And frankly, with so much HD now available, I hardly watch SD anymore and will probably drop most of it to watch the HD.

·
512 Posts
I love it.

discovery hd: great picture quality and some really good programming. I almost got this channel alone for the $8 they were asking originally, but didn't think I'd ever watch it. now it's practically the only thing that's on our HDTV. the documentaries and nature shows are great and a plus for our 5 year old to watch. They re-run stuff a lot, but I guess the station is still young so how can you complain?

espn: I hate seeing the stretched sd when I turn to this channel. it's a mess and embarrassing when people are over and you're trying to show off your new channels. real hd that I've seen so far has looked good, but I'm not much of a sports fan either.

hdnet: I've always been envious of DirecTV customer's (my step-father in particular) because of this channel. the PQ is outstanding and the content is pretty good (outside of the sports I don't watch) with some travel shows that look great and music events that sound and look great. the Higher Definition program seems pretty cool too with some nice interviews. I love the movie previews too, they look and sound even better than they do in the theater.

hdnet movies: haven't seen too much I care about on this station yet. I thought the newer ocean's 11 was on the other night, turned it on, and was like "what the?!" I watched for a few minutes, but I'm from the ADD generation I guess, so I had to change the channel back to discoveryhd.

Overall, this new package is well worth the money. I've spent a lot more for a lot less. Even if you only end up watching and enjoying two of the four channels I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd have to ditto most of these replies. I've been a Discovery HD subscriber on Dish since it's been carried and the additional stations are just to me an added bonus for only $2 a month more...

HD content will improve, especially on ESPN-HD. With NHL and NBA seasons starting in October - November we'll see a lot more of programming being available on ESPN HD and HDNET.

HDNET Movies - watched Rattle and Hum and what a great film, PQ and sound...

Using Dish 6000 with a Sony VW10HT with a 54 X 92 in screen

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've had DHDT for a year already, so that was not a factor - getting HDNet and HDNet Movies did it for me. Saw the 2003 Miss Hawaiian Tropics International competition last night on HDNet. PQ and colors were spectacular. All the various shades of tan skin were gorgeous, as were all the ladies. When it was over, the HDNet World Report (news) showed an excellent segment on the aftermath of the hurricane down in S.Carolina - all in pristine HD. Like you were there, hip deep.

I can see that it'll be tough to choose some nights between something on HDNet and any of the good primetime shows coming OTA in HD. Wish that 921 receiver/pvr was out already.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
So you Dishians finally see why us D*'s like our HDNET. I guess the 2 DBSs are all even now. Who's going to up the ante next? (InHD maybe, on D*)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.