AVS Forum banner

12841 - 12860 of 14823 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
hey kokishin...

You own most of the ringers in popular music, except for Avalon which is pretty much unobtainable now. The catalogue is very thin in my opinion. One title that escapes attention is Dylan's Blonde on Blonde which is a tremendous 2 disc SACD surround recording still available at reasonable prices, and then there's Norah Jones' debut Come Away With Me which is readily available.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Thanks @Tornado Red @weekendtoy @Jim Pearce

Any recommendations for superb versions of multichannel opera or classical?
For opera and classical take a look at the site 2L. They specialize in opera and classical and get rave reviews. A lot of their discs are blu ray audio. On DVD-A I can recommend the Daniel Barenboim conducted Beethoven Symphonies, the Telarc version of the 1812 Overture, and any of the classical titles on AIX records. There are a lot of RCA Living Stereo SACD's of classical that are quite good and even though they are not 5.1 multi channel, there are a few that are 3 channel , L-C-R, and they are not expensive.

·
Registered
378 Posts
where to start?

Thanks @Tornado Red @weekendtoy @Jim Pearce

Any recommendations for superb versions of multichannel opera or classical?

There is just so much available that it is dizzying. This is the best review site: https://www.hraudio.net/reviews.php

Of the many Beethoven symphony cycles I would recommend the Vänskä, Minnesota Orchestra on BIS which is a 5.0 DSD recording - not least because it is available at a reasonable price. Apart from that you would have to indicate areas of interest. I would recommend patience in buying Hi Rez classical: much good material is out of print, but there are new titles coming out all of the time from LSO Live, Chandos, BIS, Reference Recordings, Berlin Philharmonic etc. at reasonable prices.

P.S. Analogue Productions are re-mastering some of the RCA Living Stereo material. I can report that the Reiner CSO Scheherazade is much improved. 3.0 works very well for me.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I would also recommend picking up the following:

Anathema - A sort of Homecoming
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
Roy Orbison - Black and White Night
Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls
Roxy Music - Avalon (Keep searching and you will find a good price around $100, must have IMO) I have a friend who has two copies and would probably part with one if you really want it, will check for you
Moody Blues - all of the 5.1 discs are great
Dredg - El Cielo
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells or Ommadawn

The list is so big to be honest...best advice is be prepared to spend a lot of time searching and a lot of cash :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just ordered Brian Adams, Reckless on BR-A

kokishin, for a fantastic rock album, I would recommend Toy Matinee (S/T) DVD-A. Pricey these days if you can find it, but it is one of the best albums nobody has really heard of. It's one of those albums you would have bought for one song only to discover they are all great.

John

·
Wireless member
27,109 Posts

kokishin, for a fantastic rock album, I would recommend Toy Matinee (S/T) DVD-A. Pricey these days if you can find it, but it is one of the best albums nobody has really heard of. It's one of those albums you would have bought for one song only to discover they are all great.

John
This might be the first time I have seen this gem recommended other than the few times I recommended it. The sound quality is SUPERB, from "DC to light."

Turn it up.

·
Registered
231 Posts

John
I concur. Bought it for the Ballad of Jenny Ledge only to find I liked every song on the Album.

·
Registered
14,657 Posts
Just bought:

Bryan Adams - Reckless Blu-ray

Bill

·
Registered
14,657 Posts
Guys-

any hot SACD releases slated for Spring? :)
I don't want to know as I'm in a self imposed music buying time out :eek:!

Bill

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
I'm partial to Russian bootlegs myself;) One listen to this disc though shows that it's far from a bootleg. Didn't hear hardly a bad word about it over on the Hoffmann forum which is rare. How'd you like it?
I think it sounds great. Perusing my meager collection I see I don't have Deep Purple Machine Head. Just ordered via Amazon.

Guys-

I have one on back order and one preordered... so far.

·
Registered
378 Posts
hey fantja...

Guys-

AP has a lot of interesting stereo SACDs coming out. I've pre-ordered Linda Ronstadt's Heart Like a Wheel. There's a double Buddy Holly album, Rickie Lee Jones' debut album and my favourite Ry Cooder album, Chicken Skin Music on tap. Their list is four pages long and there should be something of interest to almost anyone.

12841 - 12860 of 14823 Posts