AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 14843 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got:


Eric Clapton - Slowhand

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust


Waiting for delivery of:


NIN - downward spiral

Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

Clapton - Ocean Blvd

John Hiatt - Master of Disaster

Dire Straits - Brothers in arms

Bryan Ferry - boys and girls


I've been on a SACD buying frenzy for the past few months, but now it's finally slowing down as there don't seem to be many more albums that I want that are available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/11611217


I just got:

Mozart: Don Giovanni (Harmonia-Mundi)

Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen (Et'cetera)

Haydn: Die Schopfung (Oehms)

Nice. I wish they would release more recently recorded operas, like Figaro with Solti/LPO and Don Giovanni with Karajan/BPO. Now would be a good time to release a bunch of Pavarotti SACDs to commemorate his career.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Recent SACD purchases....


Lionel Richie - Just For You

The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

The Rolling Stones - Aftermath

The Kinks - Low Budget (from yourmusic.com)

The Kinks - Everybody's In Showbiz (from yourmusic.com)

The Who - Live at Royal Albert Hall

2007 Hong Kong Hi-End Audio-Visual Show Demo SACD

The Story of the River in Torrents - Traditional Chinese instrumentals

The Birth of the Female Red Army - soundtrack to Chinese Communist ballet

The Journey of Present - Vicky Fung (new Hong Kong Sony SACD release)

Refresh - Barry Chung (new guitar instrumental SACD)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
I've been buying up the Genesis rereleases of their older stuff. So far I have A Trick of the Tail, Wind & The Wuthering and And Then There Were Three.


I'll probably buy at least 2 more as well as they become available.


Also picked up Billy Joel's The Stranger, and Strange Beautiful Music by Joe Satriani.
 
  • Like
Reactions: decibels

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo /forum/post/11611327


Nice. I wish they would release more recently recorded operas, like Figaro with Solti/LPO and Don Giovanni with Karajan/VPO. Now would be a good time to release a bunch of Pavarotti SACDs to commemorate his career.

I think there's little hope for such reissues on SACD as the major labels, those that have large vaults of back-catalog, have turned away from SACD. Almost all the ones I see are from middle to small labels.


BTW, the Jacobs/Figaro on HM SACD is outstanding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,651 Posts
Derek and The Dominoes--Layla (found it, unexpectedly, in a B&M shop and jumped on it)


The Genesis Box sets are on my list but my bulk (many discs at once) media buying is temporarily in hiatus (just bought a projector for the HT). Maybe someone will get one for me for Christmas. Besides, I have a few hundred discs that don't get enough playback as it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
this is just sad, all "recent purchases" are 4-5 year old releases of 40 year old albums.


I love SACD/DVD-A and have bought everything I remotely have an interest in.


hopefully There will be some uncompressed hi-res music available in either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logman62 /forum/post/11612886


this is just sad, all "recent purchases" are 4-5 year old releases of 40 year old albums.

Not mine.
And I am still acquiring new ones at the rate of more than a disc a day!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskyz /forum/post/11613146


Ray Sings, Basie Swings should have it the first week in Oct.

It's pretty good. A little surround-y for me but others will love it. Great music.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation /forum/post/11612651


but my bulk (many discs at once) media buying is temporarily in hiatus (just bought a projector for the HT). Maybe someone will get one for me for Christmas. Besides, I have a few hundred discs that don't get enough playback as it is.

Are you still enjoying your AW15? I'm pretty satisfied with mine, but at $1100 it's hard not to be. I'm jealous of your SACD collection. I only have about 32 or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/11611941


I think there's little hope for such reissues on SACD as the major labels, those that have large vaults of back-catalog, have turned away from SACD. Almost all the ones I see are from middle to small labels.

That's unfortunate, but at least classical/opera supports SACD still so there's still hope. I need to get the LSO Live! Fidelio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion /forum/post/11611720


Recent SACD purchases....

The Story of the River in Torrents - Traditional Chinese instrumentals

Ematcoin, I've been wondering if there are SACD of Chinese instruments. I have one of the 12 girls band CD's and like it very much. Do you have a recommendation for a Chinese instrument SACD that might be similar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggers /forum/post/11615037


Ematcoin, I've been wondering if there are SACD of Chinese instruments. I have one of the 12 girls band CD's and like it very much. Do you have a recommendation for a Chinese instrument SACD that might be similar?

I only have one 12 Girls Band CD and it's a mash-up of traditional Chinese instrumentals and Western instruments. There're a number of traditional Chinese instrumentals on SACD but very few are like that of the 12 Girls Band. You may want to consider the following title though since it's more readily available than any other....

I Ching - Of The Marsh & The Moon


Beyond the above Chesky title, you will have to look overseas for titles not listed at sa-cd.net.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggers /forum/post/11615037


Ematcoin, I've been wondering if there are SACD of Chinese instruments. I have one of the 12 girls band CD's and like it very much. Do you have a recommendation for a Chinese instrument SACD that might be similar?

There are three lovely Chinese instrument SACDs on the Channel of China label but I am not qualified to say whether the uses are very traditional.

CCS SA 80607 Tug at China's Heartstrings

CCS SA 80507 Magical Flute of China

CCS SA 80206 Erhu Chant
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Kal,


How does the Etcetera Wagner compare to the Melba series?


Lee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC /forum/post/11616714


Kal,

How does the Etcetera Wagner compare to the Melba series?

Lee

I cannot say until I go to print.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/11617112


I cannot say until I go to print.

I have the Melba (and the entire Solti on CD), and unless the Etc. version is much better, I can't see the $$$ for the duplication.


You could PM me with any thoughts, I'm too old to remember who, what, when, etc.....


Lee
 
1 - 20 of 14843 Posts
Top