AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 14893 Posts

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Steely Dan--Gaucho (DVD-A) (8$ cheaper than the original DTS 5.1 LOSSY disc on the shelf next to it)

Eric Clapton--Slowhand (SACD)

Weather Report--Heavy Weather (SACD) (ticketed at 14.99$--much cheaper than I've seen it anywhere; rang up at the cash for 9.99$
)

Each of these was at my local Best Buy, shockingly enough, and in a separate SACD/DVD-A section (as it should be) that was, dare I say, well stocked with pop/rock titles. Some were outrageously expensive, but still--they were there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just received "Tito Puente - Goza Mi Timbal" and I'm waiting on the arrival of "Billy Joel - The Stranger" and "Aaron Copland - Appalachian Spring; El Salón Mexico; Billy the Kid; Rodeo".

Rick

·
Registered
632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation /forum/post/11681872

Steely Dan--Gaucho (DVD-A) (8$ cheaper than the original DTS 5.1 LOSSY disc on the shelf next to it)

Eric Clapton--Slowhand (SACD)

Weather Report--Heavy Weather (SACD) (ticketed at 14.99$--much cheaper than I've seen it anywhere; rang up at the cash for 9.99$
)

Each of these was at my local Best Buy, shockingly enough, and in a separate SACD/DVD-A section (as it should be) that was, dare I say, well stocked with pop/rock titles. Some were outrageously expensive, but still--they were there.

SACD sales must be a territorial thing. When I ask my BB or CC for SACD's, I get a blank stare. One kid told me "all CD's are audio". I hate to buy online, I like to have it in my hands. Dont know what to do.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I didn't used to like buying things online either, but I've found the selection and price advantage for things like hi-res audio and some books and DVDs to make it worth overcoming my initial reluctance. The reality is if one wants to acquire a good library of hi-res audio, the bulk will be found online.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation /forum/post/11686585

I didn't used to like buying things online either, but I've found the selection and price advantage for things like hi-res audio and some books and DVDs to make it worth overcoming my initial reluctance. The reality is if one wants to acquire a good library of hi-res audio, the bulk will be found online.

you may be right. seems like my only way to go.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'm brand new to SACD but so far:

Elton John- CAPTAIN FANTASTIC AND THE BROWN DIRT COWBOY, ELTON JOHN, MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER, TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION , HONKY CHATEAU

Najee- MY POINT OF VIEW

Peter White- GLOW

Genesis- DUKE (what a waste)

Earth Wind and Fire- GRATITUDE

Isley Brothers 3+3

Jerry Goldsmith- FILM MUSIC OF JERRY GOLDSMITH

on order...

Billy Joel- THE STRANGER

Al Jarreau- ALL I GOT

·
Registered
161 Posts
Latest SACD purchases:

Jeff Beck: Blow by Blow - excellent music, excellent use of surround

Dave Brubeck: Time Out - a timeless classic, pretty good surround

Elton John: Elton John - disappointing when compared to Tumbleweed or Capt. Fantastic

Latest DVD-A purchases:

Grateful Dead: American Beauty (dualdisc) - I'm not that much of a Dead fan, but this is an excellent record and the surround mix is top notch.

Neil Young: American Stars 'n Bars (stereo only) - A bit disappointing when compared to On the Beach

Steely Dan: Gaucho - Top quality surround mix

On order:

Jorma Kaukonen: Blue Country

I think I've got over 50 hi-rez discs in my collection now. I just wish the format wasn't in its death throes.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayna_95 /forum/post/11688322

I just wish the format wasn't in its death throes.

I don't think the format is on its "death thrones"....over 500 news releases so far this year and total # of titles may reach 5,000 by year's end. Japan Sony just announced 10 new Leonard Bernstein SACD reissue titles.

My recent SACD purchases....

Honkytonkville - George Strait

Peachtree Road - Elton John

A Crow Left of the Murder - Incubus

Ti Adoro - Luciano Pavarotti

Everybody's In Showbiz - The Kinks

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just picked up "If I could Only Remember my Name" by David Crosby on DVD-A & The Animals Retrospective on SACD at my local Borders. Surprised to find both on the shelves. A 30% off coupon made the David Crosby DVD-A price palatable.

On "The Animals" I'm mildly worried if it is in fact the SACD as it's an Abkco which are notorious for not marking 'em. The Borders label has it marked hybrid, but...Anyone know if the SACD comes in a jewel case? Or is it the typical Abkco digipack & thus I got a second copy of the CD by mistake? I'd like to figure it out prior to opening it so I can return it if it's just the CD, but I'm afraid the only way to tell may be to open it. Thanks for any tips...

FWIW, this past week I noticed my local Best Buy had replenished some SACD items. Unfortunately all stuff I had, but it was encouraging to see they were still getting a new item here or there in. Unfortunately they're now all mixed in with the regular CDs making it a chore to find anything, but...it's slightly better than nothing at least & there's some thrill to the treasure hunt nature of the search if/when you make a find.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs /forum/post/11690392

On "The Animals" I'm mildly worried if it is in fact the SACD as it's an Abkco which are notorious for not marking 'em. The Borders label has it marked hybrid, but...Anyone know if the SACD comes in a jewel case? Or is it the typical Abkco digipack & thus I got a second copy of the CD by mistake? I'd like to figure it out prior to opening it so I can return it if it's just the CD, but I'm afraid the only way to tell may be to open it. Thanks for any tips...

The SACD will come in a digipak. It's clearly labelled as a SACD on the back with the logo of SACD. If your disc is in a jewel case, then it's just a regular CD.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion /forum/post/11690763

The SACD will come in a digipak. It's clearly labelled as a SACD on the back with the logo of SACD. If your disc is in a jewel case, then it's just a regular CD.

Thanks for the confirmation. Guess I'll be returning it...

Just revisited an old thread on Abkco SACDs which also confirmed they were all digipacks. I should have known better, but was too excited at the find & decided to trust the Borders CD/SACD label. I had forgotten Abkco, in their infinite wisdom, did not change the bar codes on the CD reissues meaning stores had no way to diffentiate. D'oh!

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Roxy Music - Greatest Hits on SACD, shame it is not MC...

Mark

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just listened to Forget About It in SACD and compared it to redbook cd. The difference is not subtle. Especially her voice - it sounds so much more like she is in the room. It hurt to pay 30.00 especially since I've already paid 12 for the cd. But now that I've heard it I'm very happy.

JANYA-If you can handle another album by the Dead get Workingmans. I think it sounds even better than American Beauty.

·
Registered
579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW /forum/post/11703194

Just listened to Forget About It in SACD and compared it to redbook cd. The difference is not subtle. Especially her voice - it sounds so much more like she is in the room.

I saw this Alison Krauss (Foregt About It) recently for $19.99 and passed.

Kicking myself now, hope it's still in the store so I can grab it.

Did finally find a copy of her 2 SACD Live recording. Expensive. Hopefully it'll be worth it.

Just ordered Talking Heads "Naked" DVD-A and Propaganda (A Secret Wish" SACD from Amazon UK.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was searching for Workingman's Dead after listening to American Beauty. Unfortunately, it appears to be oop and, therefore, very expensive.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/11613178

It's pretty good. A little surround-y for me but others will love it. Great music.

Got it in the mail yesterday. The multi ch is a bit "surround-y" but not too bad. The 2 ch.. pure bliss

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayna_95 /forum/post/11711845

I was searching for Workingman's Dead after listening to American Beauty. Unfortunately, it appears to be oop and, therefore, very expensive.

Its only $22.54 at tower.com. For availability it says 'ships in 2-4 weeks' - I got mine in no more than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo /forum/post/11614378

Are you still enjoying your AW15? I'm pretty satisfied with mine, but at $1100 it's hard not to be. I'm jealous of your SACD collection. I only have about 32 or so.

Sorry, didn't notice this before now. Yes, I'm still enjoying my AW15 (even more now that I've hooked it up to an HD PVR). I just added Weather Report's Mysterious Traveller (SACD MCH) to my collection (well, it's in the mail). Looking forward to it.

41 - 60 of 14893 Posts