AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a replay 5xxx series and have been a replay owner for about a year. However, I haven't bothered to investigate this issue until now.

I'm wondering what the best way to record every new episode of a season long program on any day it will occur?

I notice that if I find it in the Channel Guide, the default is to record any occurence of the show with that title, but only between specific hours of the day. So if I find program ABC on Monday 7-8pm and choose to record it, replay will be setup to record any occruence of a show named "ABC" any day of the week between 7-8pm.

What I really want is to accommodate for any schedule changes in the show. So I'd want it to be "record any occurence of show named 'ABC' any day of the week occuring at any time". But there doesn't seem to be a way other than creating a Theme Channel. I don't like theme channels because it doesn't update the channel guide with shows that it will be recording (they are a second class citizen compared to Replay Channels).

Anyone have tips?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
The Replay recording logic is slightly more flexible than you realize. You already know that the default will setup to record the show on any day of the week.

However the unit will also capture the show if it is run within one hour of the scheduled time. In other words, if show "ABC" is setup to record at 8 - 9pm, but the show is moved to the 9 - 10PM slot, the Replay will still record it.

Not sure if it still get the show if it moves to a non-adjacent time block (ie: 9:30 in the example above), but I'm sure others will chirp in here pretty quickly.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
However the unit will also capture the show if it is run within one hour of the scheduled time. In other words, if show "ABC" is setup to record at 8 - 9pm, but the show is moved to the 9 - 10PM slot, the Replay will still record it.

Not sure if it still get the show if it moves to a non-adjacent time block (ie: 9:30 in the example above), but I'm sure others will chirp in here pretty quickly.
The rule is 1 time slot in the forward and backward direction, not 1 hour.

Too see the difference, in the first example, 8-9pm moving to 9-10pm, it'll

record if the replacement for 8-9pm is a 1hr show, but it *won't* record if

the replacement is 2 half-hour shows.

In many, but not all cases, if a show gets scheduled for 9-10pm slot any

day of week, that'll account for any shift within primetime 8-11pm (8-10pm

start times)

·
Registered
184 Posts
any tricks for HBO programming, where a show like Project Greenlight is likely to pop up anytime (not a regular time slot) and where the level of repeats (not marked as repeats) is too great to set up a "Project Greenlight" channel?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bobby_t1
What I really want is to accommodate for any schedule changes in the show. So I'd want it to be "record any occurence of show named 'ABC' any day of the week occuring at any time".
I'd like it to record any occurance of the show named 'ABC' at any time on Sundays (or Tuesdays or whenever)

I know the show will always play on Sunday, but it jumps times around a lot. So for now I just have to do a search every week and set up 'this show only' recordings but it would be nice to have some more (seemingly) simple improvements in the setting of recording schedules

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVRick
any tricks for HBO programming, where a show like Project Greenlight is likely to pop up anytime (not a regular time slot) and where the level of repeats (not marked as repeats) is too great to set up a "Project Greenlight" channel?
I've never encountered a show that is totally arbitrary. Usually there is

at least 1 time slot during the week where the time is relatively fixed and

then the repeat showings throughout the week are more arbitrary.

If it is totally arbitrary, the only thing that comes to mind is setup a theme

and periodically go in and "preserve this episode" for the ones you want to

watch and treat the theme channel as a big bucket of arbitrary greenlight

episodes.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by newRTVuser
I'd like it to record any occurance of the show named 'ABC' at any time on Sundays (or Tuesdays or whenever)

I know the show will always play on Sunday, but it jumps times around a lot. So for now I just have to do a search every week and set up 'this show only' recordings but it would be nice to have some more (seemingly) simple improvements in the setting of recording schedules
Sfhub's answered your question above. Either set up a show based channel with the advanced options set to every day of the week, or make a Theme for that show.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
The rule is 1 time slot in the forward and backward direction, not 1 hour.

Too see the difference, in the first example, 8-9pm moving to 9-10pm, it'll

record if the replacement for 8-9pm is a 1hr show, but it *won't* record if

the replacement is 2 half-hour shows.

In many, but not all cases, if a show gets scheduled for 9-10pm slot any

day of week, that'll account for any shift within primetime 8-11pm (8-10pm

start times)
Wow, I didn't know the Replay did this.. I bet it's even mentioned in the manual, but I've never even opened that thing after unpacking it.

You learn something new every day!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
For me, I pretty much schedule recordings the same way I used to when it was VCRs. (I used to have 4 of them....now I have 5 RTVs because I added premium channels to my lineup....and the 5th covers those).

With VCRs I tended to have them covering specific networks in long blocks of time...because I can only schedule 7 or 8 events in the timer (3 had 8 event timers and 1 had 7). And, there was stuff I would still miss.

So with ReplayTV the only change is that now I record show based....instead of trying squeeze blocks of time together into limited recording events and limited amounts of tape. This does however mean I record way more than I used to...because I no longer drop shows just because I don't have enough recording events to cover....

So, my shows record a specifc time and day of the week....unless it actually does air every day...if it is only M-F, then that's what I set it to record, etc.

I try to go through my guide on a regular basis to watch for shifts and such....though I tend to focus more on the end of the guide than the current night.

I only use themes to catch shows that recur often and the routinely conflict...as a hope that my ReplayTV will automatically catch the one that doesn't conflict. Or to catch find based matches. I've also played with zones.

One of the things with ReplayTV is conflict management is just having the capability of simultaneous recording....sometimes it is finding the show in a different time....the old way I was limited to the primetime grid in my TV listings. Which I would read each Sunday and work out on paper my recording plan and then plug the plan into my VCRs.

When I got my first ReplayTV....it was cram all the recordings I could into it and use the VCRs to cover the conflicts....I got a second because one wasn't enough and I was getting hooked on the convenience (plus the day before I ordered, Sonicblue announced it had filed for bankruptcy)....the rest came with 5.0 and network scheduling.

It wasn't until I had 4 units that I revised my recording to having certain machines handling certain channels again....which turned out to be a good thing, because later NBC started messing with its schedule....but I didn't really notice. Since RTV3 mainly handles NBC and WGN....and there haven't been any conflicts between those two networks, yet.

The Dreamer.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDreamer
...(I used to have 4 of them....now I have 5 RTVs because I added premium channels to my lineup....and the 5th covers those)...

..It wasn't until I had 4 units that I revised my recording to having certain machines handling certain channels again....

Woah dude.. I can't imagine having more than 2 ReplayTV units for a single person. If you have more than one person living at home then I can see justification for an additional one. But 5??!? I can't imagine how you could do anything else but watch TV!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bobby_t1
Woah dude.. I can't imagine having more than 2 ReplayTV units for a single person. If you have more than one person living at home then I can see justification for an additional one. But 5??!? I can't imagine how you could do anything else but watch TV!
Well, he's still posting here, so obviously has some time... There's been a few rare occasions where I could have used 5 recordings at once, but not many. I've got 3 RTVs and I find that enough to capture most anything worth watching and accomodate the tastes of the wife & kids too. I guess another advantage of having 5 is there is a good buffer there for when the units start to breakdown - 1 or 2 break and you are still in good shape. I'd like to believe better PVRs are coming down the road, but I don't see any on the horizon yet.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Actually, since I got my ReplayTVs...I've had more free time from TV...and that's even taking into account that I'm recording much more.

Partly because commercial skipping is faster on a ReplayTV (even when it isn't automatic) than on a VCR...and I only record what I want, not because there's a show I want at 8pm and another show I want at 10pm, but I don't really want the show at 9pm...but I record 3 hours straight because I can't afford two programming events from my VCR to cover the shows.

And, with limited tapes and the rigid playback constraint....I tended up just load a tape and watch it straight through....while with ReplayTV, I can pick and choose what I feel like watching at the moment (and not spend the time watching the stuff in between that I may not really want to watch, but doing so frees up the tape for recording over).

During the Xmas holidays I did some marathon sessions where I watched the whole season of many shows, because I didn't feel like watching them during the season (and normally would wait for summer reruns to watch back when I had VCRs....)

Last fall I did consider getting an RTV as a backup unit....but I was intending to apply rebates from past units and rebate from that unit to make it happen...except I didn't get all my rebates in time to get in on the final rebate offer. And, since it wasn't something I needed....it didn't get bought. But, had I known that the SA8000 DVR was such a piece of .... I probably would've gotten the 5th RTV at that point instead.

But, that's what the 5th RTV replaces....they did a software upgrade just before Xmas (while I was on holidays) which killed the harddrive...so no recordings over the holidays...and they 'fixed' it by hard booting it...the old pick it up an inch and drop it. That 'recovered' the shows recorded before the software update....but I wouldn't accept that as a satisfactory fix, so I had them downgrade me and I got a 5080 from RadioShack.

I haven't activated the 5080 yet though....it has a 10 day grace period, so I'm going to wait to close to the end (plus I want to see if it'll run a whole 7 days....)

The Dreamer.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The more units you have, the easier it is to deal with recording but the harder it is to stay organized.

I have 4 5000 series units and 1 Showstopper and a big honking DVArchive server. (The SS is just for the once in a blue moon backup where I need 5 things going at once.) I started trying to set each unit to record certain networks, etc. and that worked for a while but like anything in my life, it slowly became completely disorganized. I recently upgraded the drives on two of the units and now I've got so many shows scattered all over the place I'm going completely nuts!

Sooner or later, I'll get a handle on things I'm sure but I really wish Replay could find some time to deal with these situations. Wouldn't a common guide be great? Not just a common replay guide but a common channel guide as well?? Just sit down at any unit, browse the channel guide by channel name which would show any/all channels you get (no need for channel number since it might vary across units), select record this show and let the software figure out what machine can deal with the request. When it comes time to watch shows, the same scenario applies. Just bring up the common show list from all units and watch whatever you want.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I guess I'm the minority on these boards when I think that having the need to record more than 5 shows at one time frame is something the designers and programers of RTV should never have had to think of.

I bought my first RTV back in April and for the first 6 months I thought that there would be no need for another one. After reading about inhouse streaming I saw how a second unit would be beneficial and it has been. But since I bought the second unit i finally started using 'Theme' channels and never have a conflict.

-Jody

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy
Just sit down at any unit, browse the channel guide by channel name which would show any/all channels you get (no need for channel number since it might vary across units), select record this show and let the software figure out what machine can deal with the request. When it comes time to watch shows, the same scenario applies. Just bring up the common show list from all units and watch whatever you want.
Unified channel and replay guides is a nice and often requested feature.

Especially if you can see the red dots regardless of whether unit is local

or remote.

If you just want the same channel guide on all your replays, you can

in most cases configure the same inputs on all the replays regardless

of whether you actually have the service.

For example, you can configure analog cable and digital cable for all

replays even though only one replay is connected to digital cable box.

This is useful if you want to be able to program the digital cable

programs on any unit in the house.

The hive recording is also an often request feature and would be quite

nice. Replay does a rudimentary search of other units to see who is

capable of recording if there is a local conflict, but more would be nicer.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
For example, you can configure analog cable and digital cable for all

replays even though only one replay is connected to digital cable box.

This is useful if you want to be able to program the digital cable

programs on any unit in the house.
I played around with the channel configuration on one of my units. I told it there was a digital cable converter attached to one of the inputs then I went into the add/remove channels screen and removed the digital channels because I didn't want a theme based recording on that box to attempt to record on a digital channel that it didn't have.

Are you saying I could do something different?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy
Are you saying I could do something different?
I was talking about a way to program a remote replay which is attached

to different sources. I thought I knew what you were trying accomplish

but after reading your response, I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sorry for being confusing. I'm not really trying to accomplish anything specific. (The only thing I'm actually accomplishing is confusing you -- I'll try to confuse you more by attempting to further explain! :) )

I read your reply describing the concept of configuring multiple replays the same way even if not all of them have that configuration (i.e. configure digital even though only one replay has a digital box). I actually did that with one of my replays thinking that was going to be a good idea but I'm thinking it didn't really do me any good.

First, if I tell a Replay it has digital when it really doesn't, wouldn't it try to record theme based shows it thinks it can get on the digital channels? The short recording it would make (less than one minute, no signal detected) might force a good show to be deleted, etc. If I go to the setup and remove the digital channels from the lineup then all I've done is forced the analog channels to be in the 10xx range. That didn't seem to make a difference during conflict resolution -- I think the replays look at the show title and not the channel it's on to resolve schedule conflicts.

I concluded that this method was not worth doing on the other units. Knowing how advanced you are with these things, when I read your post I figured you knew something more so I asked you if I was missing something or if I should be doing something different to make me understand the virtues of configuring things this way. Again, please let me know why I should bother doing this.

(Keep in mind that my original post really was more of a vent because I have shows scattered all over the place and I'm never quite sure what the heck is going to record across my network of units. You addressed these issues quite well and echoed the need for some sort of unified interface.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
If I add a replay channel to record a single show, I see red dots.

If I do a "find all showings" and set up a theme-based channel, it doesn't give red dots in the channel guiide to indicate the show will be recorded.

Why?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Because theme based recordings aren't determined until just before the timeslot when they would record. There's no mechanism that goes through the whole upcoming schedule setting up theme recordings. They just happen and, as ReplayFolk have often stated, there's no guarantee that any particular theme recording will actually happen until it actually does.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.