AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of B&W 685 with the B&W center as well as 686 for surrounds. Im wondering what you guys think of a decent amp to run this setup. Open to all ideas but would like to stay around 400 to 500 bucks.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im sorry I should have been more detailed, i was being rush by the wife to go shopping with her

Im looking for a a/v receiver as of right now, and maybe down the line adding a external amp into the mix

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
So would you prefer an AVR with preouts or not necessarily?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Get an AVR with preouts, like the Yamaha RX-V667. Then you can add an amp(s) if you are not happy down the road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well my budget is around 500 hundard. I bought the Marantz sr5005 when I got the speakers. But im thinking that it might be a little too much, and now thinking I could return it and save a few bucks.

The room is not big at all about 10 by 28

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/19560246

Don't expect anything remotely resembling a decent amp in most of today's receivers.

Depends on your definition of "decent." Obviously, receivers don't usually have 800 VA transformers in them. But some weigh 40 or more pounds and probably have good size transformers in them.

Many receivers likely power most people's systems to very respectable SPL. I know you know this, but you have to admit you have a bit of a bias against what I would consider to be pragmatic power levels. Not everyone is like that.

For example, I bought the Emotiva XPA-3, and never noticed a real improvement over the amps in my Z7. So in my case, my receiver apparently provides sufficient power.

Of course, as I said, everyone's needs/wants are different. It would not shock me to learn that some people truly require 400x7 watts to reach the SPL level they desire in their setup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/19560246

Don't expect anything remotely resembling a decent amp in most of today's receivers.

Im not wanting to make it too over the top. I'm just looking for something that will work. I already like the sound of the B&W using my old yamaha receiver, but it has not HDMI and I will need that.

The Pioneer looks like a pretty good deal. Is it better then the Marantz? The only reason I ask is I got the Marantz for about 550 with my Best Buy discount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts