AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are your Top 5 favorite games of 2015 ?

I thought it was an awesome year for gaming. Best ever, for me.
(All screenshots captured from PS4 directly from my games)

Fallout 4
130 hours in, and SO much more still to do. Just LOVE this game. Love the world, love the music, love the missions, love the companions, love the Settlements. Will look back on this as one of my all-time favorite games.

Witcher 3
A wonderful RPG with everything I could ever want in a traditional environment RPG.
Amazing graphics, characters, music, missions (best side missions of any game I've played), mechanics... and story. And it has the best compositions of any game I've ever played. Just a great, great game.

MLB 15: The Show
I wished I had more time to devote to this game this year. It was (as it usually is every year) the best baseball game ever. God Bless those talented, inspired souls that make up old rosters. I played an entire season as the '90 Braves (Glavine, Maddux, Deion, Pendleton, Justice, etc) and just loved it.

Project Cars/DriveClub
No need to separate them as I've played both an equal amount of time. Love both for different reasons (and I've added Need for Speed to the mix, too). Great racing, and as a guy who enjoys pausing it to take photos, they look incredible.

The Golf Club
A true gem of a Golf game, and thanks to the built in Course Creation site, it has an unlimited number of courses to play. And there are so many incredibly talented designers out there, that I almost feel guilty about playing the incredible courses they make without paying them. They're that good. Way better than the courses that come with the game. It just totally puts EA Sports' Rory McElroy Golf to shame.

Honorable Mention:

NBA 2K16
Amazing in every way, it just had the bad luck of being low on the list of games to play at any given time.

Divinity: Original Sin
Love old school RPGs, and look forward to jumping back into this one

Star Wars Battlefront
The heck with the haters, I enjoy this game a ton, looking forward to more maps and DLC.

Madden 16
Madden was GREAT this year! I have nothing bad to say about it. Looked great, sounded great, played great.

MGS-V
Snake's at it again. I can't remember a game with more cool "inside" touches, and the graphics/sound are about as good as it gets.

Reactions: djb5f

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Fair warning, I have not yet played Batman: Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, or Fallout 4.

Of the games I have played:

#1: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Tight controls, great open world stealth gameplay, multiple types of online play. So much to do. Not as cutscene-laden as previous MGS games, which may come off as a plus, but the story is less interesting, as are the boss fights. Still an excellent entry overall, though.

#2: Bloodborne. Not on the level of the Souls games, IMO, due to every aspect of the game being more limited than its sister series, but still an excellent game in its own right. More aggressive combat, same spooky environments, but with a Victorian, Lovecraftian twist.

#3: Tales From The Borderlands. I'm only 2 episodes in so far, but this may well be Telltale's best game to date. Much more polished than their other titles, really well directed, and it's consistently hilarious.

#4: Super Time Force Ultra. Absolutely love the time travel mechanics in this game. Fighting bosses alongside 20 other instances of yourself, and powering up by saving other versions of you from dying the way they originally did, is really unlike anything else I've played. The game is pretty funny, too.

#5: Just Cause 3. The story is dumb and incoherent, and the gameplay is only an incremental improvement over Just Cause 2, but this is arguably the best open-world sandbox to screw around in to date. So much stuff to blow up in so many different ways. Grappling hook, parachute, wingsuit, tons of vehicles. More advanced tethering options. Fun with physics. Huge map. Feat-based leaderboards. All good stuff.

- Jer

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Rainbow Six and Star Wars Battlefront for me.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Chairman, love the formatting and images of the original post.

So my games of 2015 and I am cheating because a couple game out before that but I only played them in 2015.

Star Wars Battlefront - I love the sound and visuals, immersive. Some hiccups, but wow, great fun and nostalgia. Wish it had a single player mode as I am Level 50 and have all multiplayer trophies. Hopefully, the add-on packs will be fun.

Zen Pinball 2 - Great visual upgrade to ps4 and they are really getting into their groove now with table design and layout. Easy to jump into, very difficult to master. And yes, the Star Wars tables are awesome.

Far Cry 4 - well this was 2015 for me and yes very similar to Far Cry 3 but Far Cry 3 was one of my favorite experiences on the ps3. I always get lost in the world and the missions take secondary focus.

The Last of Us - Like I said I sometimes get to games kind of late, and wow, what an experience! Talk about an immersive story, and really enjoyed the crafting/weapon up experience as I did with Far Cry.

NHL 16 - Admittedly, I have fatigued on the NHL series and have not played as much this year, but still a great experience to jump online when you only have 15-20 mins and play a game. Also, the return of many modes (EASHL) missing from the year before. Unfortunately, HUT is the same old, same old and very stale.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Fallout 4
More hours invested than I care to admit yet I still find new and interesting things every day.

Dragon Age: Inquisition
As a huge fan of Dragon Age: Origins, I was initially disappointed by Inquisition. It appeared that Bioware had given in to market forces and sacrificed everything that made their games great to push out yet another open-world RPG. Thankfully I was wrong as Inquisition is barely what I would consider the average non-linear, open-world RPG, but instead manages the sense of intimate story and characterization they are famous for set in an enormous world.

3. Uhm..

4. Hmm.

5. Maybe.. no.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Monster Hunter 4 is number 1. It took up over 400 hours of my life. First Monster Hunter game I played and it was amazingly fun and unforgettable.

Star Wars Battlefront is number 2. Love the gameplay and presentation.

Mario Maker is number 3. Creative levels and endless gameplay...though most levels are garbage.

Got nothing for 4 or 5.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
BF4
Rocket League
The Golf Game
Battlefront
Driveclub

I wish I had more time to play those titles. Can't get enough of those games.

GTA & Last of Us - got so much enjoyment out of 'em, best games IMO.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My top games I've enjoyed are
1. Witcher 3
2. Fallout 4
3. Metal gear solid 5
4. Rainbow 6 Siege

I actually regret buying battlefront digitally. I can only play it in small doses. I won't ever make it to level 50.

·
Registered
296 Posts
#1 . Easily the Uncharted collection all on one disc. Remastered with higher resolution and frame rate.

#2 . Witcher 3. I usually can't stand open sandbox world style RPGs. (bethesda's games have always bored me to tears) This game is amazing.

#3 . Shovel Knight. So much FUN.

#4 . Assassin's Creed Syndicate

#5 . Not sure. Arkham Knight maybe, but the over reliance on the bat mobile gimmick really drags down the experience.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sadly haven't started witcher 3 yet, but I expect it to be on this list.

1. Fallout 4 (so easy to lose track of time and so much to do with a variable decision tree. Just love the companion aspect. Coop would be the only thing I miss here (live companion over the npc type)).
2. Destiny (only due to coop with my daughter)
3. Bloodborne (my first souls game and found it pretty intense, still need to go back and complete it)
4. Rocket League (lots of fun but don't play it much)

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
In order of personal enjoyment, not quality of game:

5) Batman: Arkham Knight
4) Witcher 3
3) Metal Gear Solid V
2) Assassin's Creed Syndicate
1) Rise of the Tomb Raider (apologies mentioning in the PS section - hoping Uncharted 4 can top this!)

I could probably re-arrange this list and still be happy with it. 2015 was a very, very good year for gaming!

FYI - some titles mentioned in this tread were 2014 and before releases.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I barely played any games that were actually released in 2015, but with that caveat:

Wolfenstein: The New Order -- The combat makes this game a blast, but I was surprised at how much I liked the story, too.
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor -- I couldn't care less about Middle-Earth as a setting, but the Nemesis system is the most interesting innovation I've seen in gaming in a while.
Killzone Mercenary -- My favorite of the Killzone franchise because of all the different ways to complete each mission.
Metal Gear Solid V -- While the side-ops eventually became repetitive, the open-world stealth in this game is astonishing.
Life is Strange -- Uneven, but there are a few decisions that rank right up there with the hardest choices I've encountered in gaming.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Golf Club
Rock Band 4
Zen Pinball - mainly because they allow cross-buy for tables bought on the PS3 and/or Vita. Pinball Arcade should allow this too. I thought they decided to do so when I discovered the bug in one of their updates, but they soon pulled it.
Rocket League
I'm going to throw SingStar in there too, although I don't play it, some people around here do. One thing they did very nicely was to make it super-simple to import songs you had previously bought with the PS3 version. RB4 did not make this easy to do.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I barely played any games that were actually released in 2015, but with that caveat:

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor -- I couldn't care less about Middle-Earth as a setting, but the Nemesis system is the most interesting innovation I've seen in gaming in a while.
Being a big Middle Earth fan this is my main game right now. I get lost in enjoyment for many hours.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Rooks Edition is my 2nd.

The Last of Us: Remastered is 3rd.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition 4th.

Batman: Arkham Knight 5th.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
More of what games did i play xD , honestly dont think I beat 5 games this year:

1. Bloodborne
  2. ?
  3. X-Com
  4. Mad Max
  5. Rise of the Tomb Raider
Think I spent more time playing 2014 games than I did 2015 games. Chances are the same will repeat next year :(

·
Registered
814 Posts
Witcher 3
Rise Tomb Raider
Star Wars Battlefront
Assassins Creed Syndicate
Fallout 4

Sleeper hit of 2015 for me was Mad Max.

And I need to get back into MGSV. I enjoyed it for an hour or two, then lost interest. Same with Bloodborne.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I'm gonna have to make Witcher 3 my Number 1 game for 2015.

But you can't rush it. The Witcher 3 is to be experienced. Read the dialogue. Talk to each of the companions, learn their stories. Read the books. Sit and have a drink at an Inn, listen to the band play. Travel the land, walk (yes, WALK) through Novigrad. Turn on the surround sound and walk along a river in the rain. Stand at the shore of a lake and let the soundtrack play in the background while you watch the sun set. The world and the lore is SO deep, it's literally a crime not to appreciate it and bathe in the atmosphere and richness of the world.

One of my complaints I DO have, is that there isn't a true photo mode. I would kill for a photo mode on par with Shadow of Mordor, or DriveClub. Heck, even like GTA V.

Screenshots I took over the past couple nights:

Reactions: DaverJ
1 - 20 of 29 Posts