AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have taken in my aging parents as their ongoing health issues have made it so they need more dedicated supervision/care.
I am putting in a somewhat dedicated home theater/listening room in the guest house that I am hoping with help improve my parents quality of life.

They both really enjoy movies and music, my mom especially. She loves musicals.
Unfortunately, her hearing has been in gradual decline the last couple years along with her having to struggle with tinnitus.
It seems her only relief is when she is surrounded by noise.
I am hoping that a high quality sound system will provide both her and my father (and me) a retreat from their mundane day to day routine.

So that’s the reason for the question.
As I continue my research for the right LCR speakers for my space, I want to know what artist/song/album is your “Go To” when you really want to enjoy your sound system.
And what song or album hooked you? What is your essential album for auditioning speakers?

Thanks to all for your input!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The Eagles -Hell Freezes Over, Hotel California track.

·
Premium Member
10,605 Posts
What artist/album/song made you an “audiophile”?
None. More than anything else, the term "audiophile" - particularly when self-proclaimed - seems to be about how much money is spent on audio gear.

What is your essential album for auditioning speakers?
I don't have an essential album but three songs I like to use are:
- "I Can See Clearly Now" - Holly Cole Trio
- "Spanish Harlem" - Rebecca Pidgeon
- "Hell's Bells" - AC/DC

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
None. More than anything else, the term "audiophile" - particularly when self-proclaimed - seems to be about how much money is spent on audio gear.

I don't have an essential album but three songs I like to use are:
- "I Can See Clearly Now" - Holly Cole Trio
- "Spanish Harlem" - Rebecca Pidgeon
- "Hell's Bells" - AC/DC
I disagree about the term audiophile. I was attracted to high quality audio reproduction at an early age because I was a muscian (started playing guitar when I was 12). I listened to a lot of records (shows my age, lol), when I wandered into a high end audio store and heard good products, I was hooked. It's not about the cost, finding the best bang for the buck is the goal of many folks who appreciate high quality music playback.

As far as material goes, what matters is finding music you enjoy, not how well recorded it is. A good playback system will reveal the recording quality, EQ can be used to help if necessary. I doubt your folks want to deal with that. Just get a good system starting with speakers that have neutral on and off axis response.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3038828-how-choose-loudspeaker-what-science-shows.html

I was a recording and live sound engineer for over 30 years. I still use Donald Fagen's "Morph the Cat" as a reference for speaker demos, mixing, mastering and tuning large PA systems. Great audio quality and excellent LF extension.

Lots of info here: https://routledgetextbooks.com/textbooks/9781138921368/

·
Premium Member
10,605 Posts
Rex Anderson said:
… I disagree about the term audiophile. … It's not about the cost, finding the best bang for the buck is the goal of many folks who appreciate high quality music playback. …
I don't doubt that "bang for buck" is foremost on the minds of many audio aficionados. But in my experience the term "audiophile" - especially when it's a self-identification - almost invariably involves high-priced / overpriced / exotic audio equipment.

… As far as material goes, what matters is finding music you enjoy …
I agree. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump.

I was hoping people wouldn't get too caught up on the term "audiophile". I guess a better question to ask would have been, was there a specific genre, artist, album, song that MADE you want to upgrade your sound system to something on the edge of affordability. Whatever that may be.

One for me was also the Eagles Hell Freezes Over when I bought it and also saw them in concert. But it seems most of those songs sound good on any system. But that album’s release also coincided with me actually having money to spend.

Also,
Growing up as an aspiring metal/neo-classical guitar player I also started learning piano when I was in high school to expand my abilities as a musician and I really got into classical pianists.
Early Metallica started me on my quest for pure volume and tight bass.
But I'm always looking for new things to listen to that stand out when played on a good sound system so that's why I'm asking.
I just came across some speaker demos on youtube. Yao Si Ting - Speak Softly, Love really sounded good on almost every speaker they played it on.

Maybe there's something else out there I haven't heard that I need to so seems like a good place to ask the question.
I'll be auditioning new speakers for the next several weeks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
In my opinion, Future Sound of London (FSOL) is a great band to hear stuff, with soundscape-like combined with hypnotic patterns and what I would call intellectual percussion.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
i am more a "music-phile" rather than an audiophile .. i think the band that changed me the most is Rush , but Yes , Jethro Tull, Clapton, Hendrix, Asia, and some southern rock have all influenced my choices.. honestly , anything from the late 60's thru the 80's that fit the above category had influence on me .. not to mention more recent bands like 3 doors down...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Bump.

I was hoping people wouldn't get too caught up on the term "audiophile". I guess a better question to ask would have been, was there a specific genre, artist, album, song that MADE you want to upgrade your sound system to something on the edge of affordability. Whatever that may be.
Back at the beginning of the journey:
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science
Lipps Inc - Funkytown
Doobie Bros - Steamer Lane Breakdown

I'm not looking to upgrade, but my audition and/or showoff songs are now:
Cualli - Tiger Prowl (from album The Monk of Chunk)
Doobie Bros - Steamer Lane Breakdown
Virgin Black - Requiem Pianissimo
Oceans of Slumber - The Banished Heart (from album The Banished Heart)
And a couple of metal songs most people aren't going to be able to handle to test a speaker's handling of drums and congestion

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm not entirely sure what direction this topic is supposed to take, but I basically have few "reference tracks", which help me determining the quality of a sound system.

These are 3 very diverse tracks I absolutely love and know what they're supposed to sound like.

First off, we have my all time favourite symphony. Dvořák's 9th in probably the best performance I've ever heard of it. If you know what Orchestras are supposed to sound like in person, you'll know what's wrong with a certain sound system.

Then we have a great electronic track by "The Algorithm" which is my go-to track when evaluating bass-response. Subs need great transient response to play back the fast kick drums (especially around 1:08) accurately and the section right after that is not easy on subs (at high volume) which don't have much long-term power.

And lastly there is Shadow Of Intent. Pretty much my favourite album since 2017, I know "Reclaimer" inside-out. There is so much going on all over the frequency spectrum that it's hard to miss any imperfections of a playback system. This album is always the first thing I play on any system or headphones because it's just so easy for me to pinpoint flaws in the spectrum. I tried it out with a few headphones (most recently my Sennheiser HD650 and IE-60) and managed to EQ the response to ± 1db flat when comparing my impressions with actual measurements.

My "reference" list also contains certain other tracks with "almost offending" frequencies (such as a record with little to no de-essing used on the vocals), which make it immediately obvious if the system is boosting those problem frequencies more than it should. The entire list maybe contains 50 tracks.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Maybe there's something else out there I haven't heard that I need to so seems like a good place to ask the question.
I'll be auditioning new speakers for the next several weeks.
I applaud your quest to help your folks, that is commendable.

Have you asked your parents what they like/do not like about what you are playing for them now? Maybe they have favorites that they would like to hear?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I, also, was greatly inspired by the sound and audio quality of Eagles - Hell Freezes Over. Specifically, the DVD in DTS surround sound - it was the first time that I'd ever heard a recording like that, and it blew my mind. The 'audio only' tracks "Seven Bridges Road" is also stunning in surround sound.

But for 2-channel music, I was mesmerized by the quality of first-generation CD's. No tape hiss! Specifically, Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms; Toto - IV; and AC/DC - Back in Black. That's where my audiophile passion all started for me!

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I'm not entirely sure what direction this topic is supposed to take, but I basically have few "reference tracks", which help me determining the quality of a sound system.

These are 3 very diverse tracks I absolutely love and know what they're supposed to sound like.

First off, we have my all time favourite symphony. Dvořák's 9th in probably the best performance I've ever heard of it. If you know what Orchestras are supposed to sound like in person, you'll know what's wrong with a certain sound system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHqtJH2f1Yk

Then we have a great electronic track by "The Algorithm" which is my go-to track when evaluating bass-response. Subs need great transient response to play back the fast kick drums (especially around 1:08) accurately and the section right after that is not easy on subs (at high volume) which don't have much long-term power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWSu5gGIJV8

And lastly there is Shadow Of Intent. Pretty much my favourite album since 2017, I know "Reclaimer" inside-out. There is so much going on all over the frequency spectrum that it's hard to miss any imperfections of a playback system. This album is always the first thing I play on any system or headphones because it's just so easy for me to pinpoint flaws in the spectrum. I tried it out with a few headphones (most recently my Sennheiser HD650 and IE-60) and managed to EQ the response to ± 1db flat when comparing my impressions with actual measurements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgaUi3f2vrs

My "reference" list also contains certain other tracks with "almost offending" frequencies (such as a record with little to no de-essing used on the vocals), which make it immediately obvious if the system is boosting those problem frequencies more than it should. The entire list maybe contains 50 tracks.
if this thread is supposed to have a direction then it's a waste of time , it's about personal thoughts and direction.. so you "got it right" imo... of course opinions vary:p

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I, also, was greatly inspired by the sound and audio quality of Eagles - Hell Freezes Over. Specifically, the DVD in DTS surround sound - it was the first time that I'd ever heard a recording like that, and it blew my mind. The 'audio only' tracks "Seven Bridges Road" is also stunning in surround sound.

But for 2-channel music, I was mesmerized by the quality of first-generation CD's. No tape hiss! Specifically, Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms; Toto - IV; and AC/DC - Back in Black. That's where my audiophile passion all started for me!
i too was stunned by cd quality in the 80's.. i had a friend even back then that said his $100 conponent system that he played vinyl on was superior cause he heard "audiophiles liked vinyl"...lol, he was kinda tough to reason with...:D

·
Registered
476 Posts
...As I continue my research for the right LCR speakers for my space, I want to know what artist/song/album is your “Go To” when you really want to enjoy your sound system.
And what song or album hooked you? What is your essential album for auditioning speakers?
If I just want to be enveloped in the sound I'll blast Peter Gabriel "In Your Eyes" or David Bowie "Heroes". I don't play many albums straight through but I find that U2 "Boy" is is best enjoyed from start to finish.

Reactions: Adamg (Ret-Navy)

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts
I saw Jethro Tull concert. Then Thin Lizzie, followed by Queen, followed by Pink Floyd Animals concert in Tampa. I was amazed at the quality of the sound. Jethro Tull’s deep Bass didn’t crackle and break up like it did on every home/Car system of the time. It was crystal clear. My journey to attempt to reproduce that clean and crisp live concert sound commenced.

I guess in a way I could say the journey has never ended. In many ways that’s a good thing.

Best of luck with your project.

The most memorable moment was at a church sponsored night of Music. I was pretty young. Maybe 1968 ish. I was a Choir member at the Church. I was picked to help the band set up and do a prep show rehearsal. I see all these hippie looking long hair guys in 2 Vans start unloading. On the drums I see the letters CCR. Then they hang a banner that read “Credence Clearwater Revival”.:( I thought great another Church revival band! I almost didn’t stay for the practice session. The first time I heard this song. Was live with me and 3 other Choir Boys as the only audience. Proud Mary was the first song.:eek::eek::eek: My eyes popped out of my head, my jaw hit the floor, and I was forever a Rocker.

When the actual concert started the Church Audience of maybe 500 went totally and completely silent. The Pastor was red faced and looked to be ready to explode. The Band got about 10 notes into the next song and the Pastor launched himself onto the stage and grabbed the mic from the singer. You see it was a mistake. They had hired the band based on their name. Assuming they were indeed a Church Revival Band from Clearwater! Never got to hear another song. But that memory was a dramatic shift in my Music taste that remains today.

·
Premium Member
10,605 Posts
Adamg (Ret-Navy) said:
I saw Jethro Tull concert. Then Thin Lizzie, followed by Queen, followed by Pink Floyd Animals concert in Tampa. I was amazed at the quality of the sound. Jethro Tull’s deep Bass didn’t crackle and break up like it did on every home/Car system of the time. It was crystal clear. My journey to attempt to reproduce that clean and crisp live concert sound commenced. ...
FWIW, I have a somewhat different experience: Perhaps the best-sounding concert I ever attended was Dire Straits (IIRC, it was on their "Brothers in Arms" tour with SRV as the opener). It was big and loud but so incredibly clean that my ears weren't ringing afterwards. I was amazed that, finally, a band performing live could sound as good as (but obviously much louder than) they did on my non-"audiophile" stereo system. :cool:

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I saw Jethro Tull concert. Then Thin Lizzie, followed by Queen, followed by Pink Floyd Animals concert in Tampa. I was amazed at the quality of the sound. Jethro Tull’s deep Bass didn’t crackle and break up like it did on every home/Car system of the time. It was crystal clear. My journey to attempt to reproduce that clean and crisp live concert sound commenced.

I guess in a way I could say the journey has never ended. In many ways that’s a good thing.

Best of luck with your project.

The most memorable moment was at a church sponsored night of Music. I was pretty young. Maybe 1968 ish. I was a Choir member at the Church. I was picked to help the band set up and do a prep show rehearsal. I see all these hippie looking long hair guys in 2 Vans start unloading. On the drums I see the letters CCR. Then they hang a banner that read “Credence Clearwater Revival”.:( I thought great another Church revival band! I almost didn’t stay for the practice session. The first time I heard this song. Was live with me and 3 other Choir Boys as the only audience. Proud Mary was the first song.:eek::eek::eek: My eyes popped out of my head, my jaw hit the floor, and I was forever a Rocker.

When the actual concert started the Church Audience of maybe 500 went totally and completely silent. The Pastor was red faced and looked to be ready to explode. The Band got about 10 notes into the next song and the Pastor launched himself onto the stage and grabbed the mic from the singer. You see it was a mistake. They had hired the band based on their name. Assuming they were indeed a Church Revival Band from Clearwater! Never got to hear another song. But that memory was a dramatic shift in my Music taste that remains today.
That's some awesome Americana folklore .. What a great story... Reminds me of the pie eating scene in" stand by me" . ...

Reactions: Adamg (Ret-Navy)
1 - 20 of 63 Posts