AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
dads classical music. so many systems just cant play classical music.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
And lastly there is Shadow Of Intent.
Don't you know you're going to give people here a heart attack when they press that Play button? :D

Well, since you already did it, the metal song I was talking about to test congestion was Hideous Divinity's The Servant's Speech. I don't know of any other song that has so much stuff going on in such a confined space that doesn't sound like a total dissonant mess (probably still does to non-metal-heads).

And on a milder metal note, Metallica's Sad But True to hear a good example of drums. Their Black album probably has the best low end of any metal recording I've ever heard. I read they covered some of the room's absorption with plywood to make it more reflective. Same with the bass.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I picked up this hobby from my father. He brought home a Magnavox stereo console, similar to this one in the early 70s. Before this all we had was a radio. He would listen to Classical or Mexican music for hours on end. I was completely engrossed by the quality of the sound. My first music album was George Benson's Breezin and it is still one of my "go to" music collections (in High Res Audio). I can still listen to this start to finish. Other songs include:

Micheal Jackson's - Billy Jean, Quincy Jones production on this song was outstanding
Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime, Brain Eno added a layer of sound to their funky beats and David Byrne's Twilight Zone lyrics and raised it to another level
AC/DC - Back in Black, Thundering Guitars and Screaming vocals, this is Rock and Roll
Harry Styles - Sign of the Times, A recent addition. My 17 year old daughter introduced me to this one.
Peter White - Bueno Funk, From the Glow Album, Smooth Jazz Funk Guitar excellence

Attachments

Reactions: Adamg (Ret-Navy)

·
Registered
471 Posts
What is your essential album for auditioning speakers?
I hope to replace my speakers in about 2 years after we finish the basement and move the "home theater" (using the term loosely) downstairs so I'll be starting the speaker audition exercise as well.

My plan is to rip a CD/Flash drive of my go-to songs rather than using a single album. My suggestion is that you consider putting together a list of go-to songs that you know intimately across various styles that will test your speakers in different ways. To know which speakers will meet, exceed or under perform your expectations the most important thing is to be familiar with the songs in advance so that you have a reference point for comparison.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I don't know if one song or album ignited my love of audio. I've just always liked listening to music from listening to am radio as a kid in the early 60s with a cheap transistor radio and single ear bud to now. Back in the 70s is when I started paying more attention to audio quality. Albums like David Bowie, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Spirit 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus, Led Zeppelin IV, The Beatles, Sgt Pepper and White Album, and George Harrison All Things Must Pass were my go to albums to name a few.

Edit: More recent history had me going toward hi rez stuff with my first SACD player an Oppo-BDP-83. Diana Krall, Patricia Barber, and the RCA living stereo series of Classical SACDs were my first purchases. I also started other hi-rez format downloads of classical and jazz artists as well, particularly recent recordings. There is a notable difference between a high rez playback of something recorded now vs an older album from the 60-70s and 80s. Joni Mitchell Both Sides Now was recorded in DSD and is fantastic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This has been a fun topic to read through.

This hobby has waxed and waned for me over the years and each "wax" that I can recall was the product of some inspirational event, linked to a song. Thinking back on these brings a smile to my face.

In high school (the 80s), it was all about the car audio system for me and many of my friends as that was OUR space where we could do what we wanted without having our parents complain about the volume. Big woofers were all the rage, 15" Cerwin Vegas, Bazooka Bass tubes, etc. It's amazing we didn't rattle our piece of crap cars apart! High quality it was NOT. It was probably in college but also in the car when I heard "Waiting for the Night" on the Violator album by Depeche Mode. I no longer had the rattle box from high school and although it was just a stock stereo and missing the bass that album can really push but it had my first CD player in it and I am pretty sure that was one of my first CDs. The way that song moved around the car, the clarity, depth, etc., it blew me away and I still listen to that song every once in a while when I want to test a new speaker or something.

One of my latest waxes happened unexpectedly when my wife drug me to a chamber music concert in Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center, the Brandenburg Concertos. I was expecting an expensive nap but the acoustics of the room were so amazing and the setting so intimate, I sat there mesmerized the entire time. We were pretty close to the front and you could hear the musician's breaths, the strings slap on the Cellos, etc. It was a pretty moving experience, very different from other live performances I've seen and made me appreciate classical music in a whole new way. Trying to chase the sound of that experience could bankrupt a man if they weren't careful.

·
The Village Idiot
9,534 Posts
None. More than anything else, the term "audiophile" - particularly when self-proclaimed - seems to be about how much money is spent on audio gear.
You're describing an audiophool, not an audiophile, IMO. The definition of an audiophile contains nothing in it that refers to cost. I have a rather modest setup, cost was not a factor. Good audio quality was my main goal. I'm quite happy with it.

I'm also an amateur star gazer. All my optical gear can be bought for under $1500 new. Some people obsess over their astronomy gear, they are the equivalent of the audiophool IMO. They don't know where most of the cool stuff to look at is under dark skies, but they can tell you to the dollar what one eyepiece cost them.

===============================

An audiophile is a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction. An audiophile seeks to reproduce the sound of a live musical performance, typically in a room with good acoustics.Wikipedia

Reactions: SteveC356

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You're describing an audiophool, not an audiophile, IMO. The definition of an audiophile contains nothing in it that refers to cost.
I don't know. I think we've passed the point of no return on that one. Like many terms, I think "audiophile" has been successfully hijacked. I always shy away from calling myself one because of its connotation (one who seeks expensive status symbols). Heck, I'm building a speaker made from sewer pipes and plumbing parts. Can you imagine what the "audiophile" forums would say about that?

·
Premium Member
10,605 Posts
Knucklehead90 said:
You're describing an audiophool, not an audiophile, IMO. ...
I'm simply describing what I've noticed: The term "audiophile" - particularly when self-proclaimed - seems to have an awful lot to do with expensive / overpriced / exotic audio gear.

People who like good sound and have reasonably-priced - even "mainstream" - gear rarely, if ever, declare themselves to be "audiophiles".

That's my experience. YMMV, of course. :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Always had good equipment (by way of my Army service in the 60's, i.e., good equipment bought in PX's)...but really upped my game in the early 80's with purchases of Windham Hill New Age records/CD's; even my old acid rock/blues/country/rock/jazz LP's sounded MUCH better on the new equipment.....have had good equipment ever since.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
not the ones put me in hifi story but the ones I took it as sort of reference.
I gave all the links from spotify for convenience

dire straits - you and your friend (good mid range tester)
https://open.spotify.com/track/6JjDGQoxsbVBlzRjT6eFlg?si=0M3LRw9jRc6JUEY-yU13qQ

chris jones - long after your gone (great tight bass )
https://open.spotify.com/track/6ClxP0rIXb1yGX8JBOBBmY?si=TCNrQH8eTPex5D5C8zDcdw

Abel Korzeniowski - Charms ( great for experiencing sound stage)
https://open.spotify.com/track/3gxwWtR114M0fzmSPNWdfI?si=hePbOsdxRw2EHfgaNRgN7A

Joe Bonamassa - sloe gin live from royal albart hall (amazing dynamic range)
https://open.spotify.com/track/5L776AnMdlt2SFntVhlZ4d?si=9eda0SgJSq2FURCWFoYBjg

yazoo - ode to boy
https://open.spotify.com/track/1fvBhpfeMhoPG35R2ubnTP?si=xgRMSdVSS3yHrKFVs4bOPg

London Grammar - hey now (very demanding track although it looks very simple. good for seeing response capabilities)
https://open.spotify.com/track/2ENgaBS5vLUpqUw8inkZZp?si=U886n5AWQQqn_SKogKfkQg

·
Registered
23 Posts
My first song that I wanted to hear well was Mel McDaniels, Baby’s Got Her Blue Jeans On. My brother acquired a car speaker box with a pair of 10’s that we had in a shared bedroom. I’d play that bass loud every chance I got.

I recall in college another brother had one of them big old 80s TV/dresser thing, was like 5 feet long, had a TV and stereo. It sounded much better than a boom box, may have had some 8” woofers or so. I’d crank that up and then put the boombox behind me to try to create ‘surround sound’. Must have looked goofy as heck.

My gotos are

Allison Krauss, When you say nothing at all
Shenandoah, Sunday in the south
Phil Collins, In the air tonight

·
Registered
153 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with your parents is music is tied to memories. Play something they can relate to. :)

The best systems sound their best when they play something the listener has a subconscious love of -through memories.

Even a basic system is enjoyable if the content makes the listener feel. A great system.... well tears while grinning hopefully. :wink:

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
As a caveat, I don't consider myself an "audiophile" in any sense of the word, but I was, however, influenced by one, which is my older cousin, Ronnie. I distinctly remember being introduced to the upper echelon of aural bliss when I was around 15 by first hearing Nautilus by the esteemed Bob James on a system that I honestly had never seen before nor even knew what most of it actually was! Expensive, showy preamps and amps stacked together in racks with components and speakers that were more expensive than anything we actually had in our home at the time.

I was mesmerized and enthralled with the sounds that were exuding from tall, multichanneled speakers you'd only see in magazines at the time and I distinctly remember it was the first time where I witnessed the needle laid down on vinyl with absolutely zero noise, followed by a vortex of syncopated rhythms, sounds and melodies that carried me to another plane of existence!

I fondly cherish every moment I could have with my cousin as his music education and introduction into the audiophile world was one of extreme wonderment and sophistication to continue to this day, even though I couldn't attempt to match what he has now or even then.

·
Registered
614 Posts
As I kid I remember mom and dad always having a stereo system of some kind being a component setup or a huge honking console unit. When I was old enough I got some of dad's hand me down equipment. As long as I can remember there has been music in my life. Recently I have started to listen with a more critical ear. Short sad story I lost mom in February 2017, my wife died unexpectedly May 2018 and dad in October 2019. He was living with me and the wife after mom passed. I took possesion of some of his gear including his stereo rack, turntable, cd player and cds. I turned him room into a very casual bar/listening room. For my last birthday he bought me KEF Q100's on closeout. I love the sound of those speakers.

The album that I used to judge something Pink Floyd DSotM. I have probably listened to it a hundred or more times.

Singles include Ninacy Sinatra- Bang Bang I love her vocals and echo or reverb in this song.

Another one I use is by Genesis The Brazillian

LP - Muddy Waters

I could go on and on but I will list three more

Allison Krauss

Eagles Desperado

If I want techo or EDM I would say

At this point I like listening just to listen but I also love to find little nuances in music.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
As I kid I remember mom and dad always having a stereo system of some kind being a component setup or a huge honking console unit. When I was old enough I got some of dad's hand me down equipment. As long as I can remember there has been music in my life. Recently I have started to listen with a more critical ear. Short sad story I lost mom in February 2017, my wife died unexpectedly May 2018 and dad in October 2019. He was living with me and the wife after mom passed. I took possesion of some of his gear including his stereo rack, turntable, cd player and cds. I turned him room into a very casual bar/listening room. For my last birthday he bought me KEF Q100's on closeout. I love the sound of those speakers.

The album that I used to judge something Pink Floyd DSotM. I have probably listened to it a hundred or more times.

Singles include Ninacy Sinatra- Bang Bang I love her vocals and echo or reverb in this song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgDrpWWxuto

Another one I use is by Genesis The Brazillian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85I7tUIFmrQ

LP - Muddy Waters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6SprGmHTy4

I could go on and on but I will list three more

Allison Krauss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSif77IVQdY

Eagles Desperado

If I want techo or EDM I would say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exJlapzPnlc

At this point I like listening just to listen but I also love to find little nuances in music.
my condolences on your recent losses.. i have experienced something similar in the past 18 months...

·
Registered
614 Posts
my condolences on your recent losses.. i have experienced something similar in the past 18 months...
All I can say is the healing process is slow. It takes time and isn't easy. Dont give up and try to find something new to do that you enjoy or return to an old hobby you may have left. Just dont sit there and wallow in misery.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts