AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
All I can say is the healing process is slow. It takes time and isn't easy. Dont give up and try to find something new to do that you enjoy or return to an old hobby you may have left. Just dont sit there and wallow in misery.
thanks, i'm working things out as i go...:)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I want to know what artist/song/album is your “Go To” when you really want to enjoy your sound system.

Don’t use music to listen to your system.

Listen to the music you like. Hard stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don’t use music to listen to your system.

Listen to the music you like. Hard stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, very fun topic. Its cool to see what others are listening to and what inspired them. Personally I would consider anybody who has a deep appreciation for music and music reproduction to be an audiophile, regardless of how you do that.

For me that started as a teenager in the 90's and I'd easily lump my father into the audiophile category. he kept high end systems in both the living room and the basement 'man cave' and brought me up on a steady diet of Beatles, Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Neal Young and others more of his era, we also were both highly into the rock of my teenage era and both enjoyed Tool, Nirvana, Metallica, etc. We both bought a copy of almost every CD that came out int he 90's and spent a lot of time listening.

My teenage friends and I were huge music fans and spent hours listening, and got heavily into ambient, electronic and industrial music. The Future Sounds of London's ISDN album and Orb's Ultraworld album were in constant circulation, on the industrial end of things I became and still am a huge fan of Nine Inch Nails and Ministry. Though pretty abrasive for most 'audiophiles', the production quality, depth and detail of industrial music has a LOT to offer. At the more typical rock n roll end of things, the self titled album by Clutch made me a lifelong fan.

These days, I'm still listening to much the same, and fortunately many of my favorites from the early years have continued to produce good music.

A brief suggested listening list, some of my recent favorites.

Portishead - Roseland NYC Live (whole album)
Ceterum - Sidewinders
Clutch - Willy Nelson, Rapture of Ridley Walker, Electric Worry
Godflesh - Towers of Emptiness, Anthem, Antihuman
Massive Attack - Teardrop
Orb - Supernova at the end of the universe
Tool - Pneuma, Invincible
Ministry - Scare Crow, Golden Dawn
A Perfect Circle - Passive
Scorn - Far In Out

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I would say it's a tie between 2 albums from the 1970's: Steely Dan Aja and John Klemmer Touch.
You can find links to reviews I did of the Original Master Recording MFSL CDs (and an article I wrote about "Audiofiles") here.

Edit: I also suffer from hearing loss and (worse) tinnitus and would encourage the OPs Mom to consider hearing aids. The right hearing aids (I use Starkey) with the right programming has allowed me to continue enjoying my favorite movies/music as I did years ago (especially my cassette mix tapes).

·
Registered
220 Posts
i saw a an audiophile list of music to demo on your system

AltJ
Steven Wilson - remixes and his band Porcupine Tree
man does this guy have some ears

·
Registered
13 Posts
Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust on vinyl.

I don't consider myself an audiophile, because I don't go by specifications, and spend lots of money on pretty looking equipment. I go by what sounds good to my ears, functions well, and something that's not a fad. My current system still has speakers I bought in 1975 ESS AMT-3 Rock monitors, turntable BIC 960 with Stanton 681EEE cart. I only replace equipment when it can't be repaired or not worth having it done. I used "Diamonds and Rust" as a test album when I bought these speakers, and turntable! It still sounds as good 45 years later!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Bob James...One Mint Julip...off his album "Three"

I was at the Audio Warehouse on South Dixie in Dayton...summer of 1977...Ed, my salesman played this song over a set of the massive new Infinity towers. One of those moments I'll always remember.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Bob James...One Mint Julip...off his album "Three"

I was at the Audio Warehouse on South Dixie in Dayton...summer of 1977...Ed, my salesman played this song over a set of the massive new Infinity towers. One of those moments I'll always remember.
Remember the spot well. Would always stop at Dingleberry's or Goldenrod"s on the way back home to do some more "shopping".:D:D
Love the Dr. Creep avatar also.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Supertramp Crime of the Century on my friend's parents stereo with Klipsch Heresy speakers cranked up loud. Another friend's Dad had Klipsch Horn's massive towers in his lower level. Been hooked ever since.

Had a quadraphonic 8 speaker, 8 track set up with bean bag chairs in my van.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
To many negative conotations with the word audiophile. That said, I've always been an audio enthusiast growing up on classical music. My brother, 9 years my senior brought home Led Zeppelin 1 and I was hooked sliding down the slippery slope of rock, blues, and many other genres.

Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Registered
207 Posts
Supertramp Crime of the Century on my friend's parents stereo with Klipsch Heresy speakers cranked up loud. Another friend's Dad had Klipsch Horn's massive towers in his lower level. Been hooked ever since.

Had a quadraphonic 8 speaker, 8 track set up with bean bag chairs in my van.
WOW, I was the same, Supertramp, Crime of the Century was what sparked me as well. Still remember the hair on the back of my neck standing tall. Been searching for that 1976 moment since. Just saw Rodger Hodgson at his 1st USA tour in Feb this year. He was so tight and tack on. So thankful I was able to do this before all changed.

Brother in Law had just purchased his 1st audiophile system. Speakers were Dahlquist DQ10's. I was literally blown away and bought them myself on layaway. Barely had 2 nickels to rub but wanted that sound so bad. Still own them, but they are well worn.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Chicago through a pair of Koss headphones on a nice console system back in about 1976. I fell in love with good sounding music and couldn't get enough from then on.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Mark Henninger
Sony VPL-VW295ES, Denon AVR X8500H, GoldenEar SuperSub XXL, GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers, PS5 Pro
16,927 Posts
Step 1 (young teenager, CD is a new thing) = Peter Gabriel "So"

Step 2 (teenager, just got my first Grados) = Pink Floyd "Delicate Sound of Thunder"

Step 3 (teenager, now own multiple nive headphones) = New Order "Substance"

Step 4 (no longer a teenager, it's the early '90s and music is going off in many creative directions so I dropped a few grand on a good system) - Coil "Love's Secret Domain" and Skinny Puppy "Last Rights"

·
Registered
220 Posts

Step 4 (no longer a teenager, it's the early '90s and music is going off in many creative directions so I dropped a few grand on a good system) - Coil "Love's Secret Domain" and Skinny Puppy "Last Rights"
the mighty Skinny Puppy
I saw them twice. First time I actually started getting nauseous from the lighting and sound efx
last time in Tampa on their reunion tour I saw a dude keel over
seizure from the lighting efx
they ain't kidding about that schitt
mates

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can't say exactly what started it but recently I've really enjoyed Paul Simon - Rhythm of the Saints. Can't Run But is one of my go to test tracks. Super Session is good too. Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield, Stephen Stills. Has a good era sound.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts