AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The projector I am looking at is 16x9. I want it for dvd viewing which is generally 2.35 or 1.85 correct? So will this projector work or do I need to look for something with a different aspect ratio?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The movie aspect ratio is what the projector will display normally. Most of the movies coming out today is 2.35. If you don't buy a anamorhic lens to handle constant height for all movies...you will have bars on top and bottom if you use a 16x9 screen. Unless you get a scaler or a HTPC...then you can build a 2.35 screen and scale the 16x9 movies to fit it. I've used a anamorhic lens ,scaler ,and htpc to perform constant height movies on a 2.35 screen.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I wouldn't say most are 2.35:1, unless all you buy is action and epics. There's still a mix of 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 movies. Plus, there are classic films, much television, and bonus material in 1.33:1 to consider. 16:9 is a good compromise between the three major ratios.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin /forum/post/0

The projector I am looking at is 16x9. I want it for dvd viewing which is generally 2.35 or 1.85 correct? So will this projector work or do I need to look for something with a different aspect ratio?

The choice is not between 2.35:1 and 1.78:1 (16:9), it's between 1.78:1 and 1.33:1 (4:3). Those are the two native ARs that projectors have, there are no native 2.35:1 projectors. Most are 16:9, the only real reason to get a 4:3 is if you watch a lot of SDTV or have a lot of non-widescreen source.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE /forum/post/0

The choice is not between 2.35:1 and 1.78:1 (16:9), it's between 1.78:1 and 1.33:1 (4:3). Those are the two native ARs that projectors have, there are no native 2.35:1 projectors. Most are 16:9, the only real reason to get a 4:3 is if you watch a lot of SDTV or have a lot of non-widescreen source.

I have commented a few times before on aspect ratio and the above poster is correct there are 2 to pick from 16:9 and 4:3 when it comes to projectors. 16:9 is much more in favor as it is the new modern way things are being done and it's coming over in the thought process IMO from what we are seeing in new TV displays that are being made to comply with the soon to come HDTV.

There is a big difference to me though between a TV display and a projector insomuch what do we care how the pixels are arranged in the projector we want the biggest clearest image in whatever aspect ratio we can have shot up on our wall. What do we care if the projector even had a square pattern of pixels as long as we can turn on the needed ones and display a image in the appropriate AR it was filmed in.

It really boils down to we need pixels small enough we cant see them from the closest location to the screen we ever think we might be viewing from. And then those pixels are the same clearness no matter what AR. Just more or less turned on.

If you never ever will watch an image in 4:3 by all means the pick is easy 16:9

If you never ever will watch an image in 16:9 then pick a 4:3

But none of us do that and we are forced into a trade off based around what is logical for us. The party line in the 16:9 camp (a very large camp I might add) is SD is a poor picture quality and needs a smaller image in order to view it. True in some cases. And thus black bars right and left.

My camp (the dwindling 4:3ers) say there are 1000's of movie classics done in 4:3 reproduced on DVD to great PQ. Good quality SD looks very good at a larger size. Remember pixels are same size. And if the room and seating distance provides you will have the same size 16:9 image both ways.

In my case 96 was the max width the room and seating could take. So with a 16:9 projector 54x96 was my screen size. Going 4:3 my screen size is 72x96 in 4:3 and guess what 54x 96 with 16:9. Now what about the crappy SD? All 4:3 projectors have a third way you can project called window mode. It crops the 4:3 down into the center of the 54x96 window same as I would have got with a 16:9 projector but now with black bars all the way around. Remember pixels didn't change size so scaling all that into a smaller box makes for better PQ to the eye.

The big thing now is cost and what's out there. On a budget the best 4:3 you can get is XGA or 1024x768 cropped its 1024x576 in 16:9 not as high a resolution as the low cost 720 projectors. But at my seating distance I like 1.5 times the screen width XGA gets the job done.

It's not that you are giving up the ability to watch HD because it scales into XGA and produces a splendid image.

Look at what your viewing habits are and the type of material you watch and from how far back and then pick the AR that best fills your needs. Just remember IMAX is in 4:3..

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
2.35:1 for me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts