AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A2 arrived yesterday and I popped in the Departed. I had two audio options 5.1 and TrueHD 5.1...

I have my A2 hooked up via optical to my Pioneer receiver, so I get DTS out with either selection. Am I getting any added performance my selecting TrueHD over 5.1, or is it basically just the same thing after the conversion within the player?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
With 5.1 selection you get a lossy DD (or DTS) soundtrack upconverted to DTS at 1.5mbs.

With TrueHD a lossless track is re-encoded to DTS at 1.5mbs.

Selecting TrueHD wil in many cases be the best option, the other options is upconverting from a lossy track with a lower bitrate than DTS 1.5mbs.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks /forum/post/0

With 5.1 selection you get a lossy DD (or DTS) soundtrack upconverted to DTS at 1.5mbs.

With TrueHD a lossless track is re-encoded to DTS at 1.5mbs.

Selecting TrueHD wil in many cases be the best option, the other options is upconverting from a lossy track with a lower bitrate than DTS 1.5mbs.

I'm guessing there is no way to make this default?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
No, not at this moment.

It might be possible to add that feature in a firmware upgrade or through advanded disc authoring where discs can store a preference in to players fixed memory.

Canal plus titles in France have this ability for subtitle and language settings.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I thought I read that G1 players output DTS for DD+ tracks giving 1.5 MB and G2 players use DD @640kb. I don't know because I use HDMI.

Is it your receiver that allows you to select DTS for this or am I mistaken in my information?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.