AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a new 5.1 speaker system with Definitive Mythos STs up front, Mythos Twos in back, and a Mythos Ten for a center. I have been looking at higher-end big company AVRs and am stuck. I can't decide which would match best with the speaker's character.

I can't get over the tinniness on the top end of the Pioneer Elite series. I like Yamaha's warmth (3900, etc.) but am worried that they may be bass heavy like my speakers. Denons are good but don't seem as compelling as the Yamaha.... they sound very bland and reserved to me. I never liked Sony AVRs but the new 5400 has gotten great reviews (WHat HiFi, etc.) I am looking to spend no more than $1500....

Thanks!

· Registered
61 Posts
I demo'd the ST with a Denon 2809, they didn't sound underpowered at all and the Mythos are very efficient speakers. The combo I have heard rave reviews about and particularily with the Mythos was the Pioneer Elite SC 07.

· Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonan /forum/post/16899558

I can't decide which would match best with the speaker's character.

I can't get over the tinniness on the top end of the Pioneer Elite series. I like Yamaha's warmth (3900, etc.) but am worried that they may be bass heavy like my speakers. Denons are good but don't seem as compelling as the Yamaha.... they sound very bland and reserved to me. I never liked Sony AVRs but the new 5400 has gotten great reviews (WHat HiFi, etc.) I am looking to spend no more than $1500....

Try the golden ears in the 2 Channel Forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.