AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
Bass heavy music is best, not sine waves.

Reactions: dsrussell

·
Premium Member
14,128 Posts
i am going to do the subwoofer crawl for my new SVS PB2000

what test tone is best to use ?

40 Hz ? a bit lower ?

Bass heavy music is best, not sine waves.
You definitely don't want to use a single tone for the subwoofer crawl test. All you'll find doing that are the modes at that single frequency. What you're listening for with the subwoofer crawl is the smoothest, most even response at ALL frequencies the subwoofer reproduces. As Alan said, play some bass heavy music with a wide range of bass sounds. Pick the spot where ALL the various bass notes can be heard equally well. You don't want the spot with the loudest bass... you want the spot with the smoothest bass.

Craig

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
i am going to do the subwoofer crawl for my new SVS PB2000

40 Hz ? a bit lower ?

If you have a mic and REW, I've had good success running the REW sweeps from 10 - 140Hz with the mic in the possible sub locations. Shows you where the smoothest FR is. Note that this may not be where it sounds best to you though, some prefer heavier bass (peaks) in different ranges.

Are you only dealing with 1 sub?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would use different tones at every spot, in five Hz increments, so 20, 25, 30, 35, and so on. Use an SPL meter to chart each frequency. Stay with the spot that gives the most even frequency response. I wouldn't use bass heavy music for this task. Most bass music tends to stay around a narrow range of bass frequencies, in fact a lot of dubstep only ever plays one or two bass notes at all. That being said, here is a tune (and an opportunity for self-promotion) which does run the gamut of bass frequencies in the subwoofer's band: Caligula

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you have a mic and REW, I've had good success running the REW sweeps from 10 - 140Hz with the mic in the possible sub locations. Shows you where the smoothest FR is. Note that this may not be where it sounds best to you though, some prefer heavier bass (peaks) in different ranges.

Are you only dealing with 1 sub?
this would be the ideal method if you have the equipment to run sweeps.

another method without any equipment is find some sine sweeps that go from say 10 to atleast 100. You can find some that go pretty slow throughout the frequencies. Play it in different locations and figure out which location sounds the best throughout the sweep.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Pink noise. Using a single frequency tone will only tell you where the sub works best for that frequency, using music only tells you where it's best for that track. Most AVRs use pink noise for the channel level adjustment test tones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts