AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
useing monster s-video to replay but the rca came in box if get monster rca cables does it look better. it look great now just wanted to use best cables out

s-video an rca ones

monster make s-video with 2 rca for sound for $90

or get s-video an rca cable only use sound.

if do monster setup need to buy $200 of cables

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Monster cable is way overpriced. Don't fall for the hype. You can get quality, well-shielded cables at Radio Shack for much, much less. Or, get some Acoustic Research brand cables. Good quality, also much cheaper than Monster Crap.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Some other brand. =)

There are other cables that are fine. I will say this about monsters... they have a lifetime replacement, if anything ever goes wrong they'll swap out the bad ones for new ones.

You just need better quality cables than what come with any AV equipment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A member recently posted that he lost his Monster cables and replaced them with stuff much cheaper. I asked if he noticed a difference, and he said no.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
rcreplay

I saw your thread minutes after you posted it. I did not reply because you did not ask if monster cables was Worth the money. So I kept my mouth shut. If you are happy with monster cables buy them. But It is my opinion that you can get just as good or better cables cheaper. But it's your money do what ever rocks your boat. I know people personally who swear about monster cables being better then anything else and would never buy anything but monster cables . Right now on my system I use monster cables and I use the cheapest A/V cables I could find. And I never seen much of a difference.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have Monster RF coax between the wall and my STB. It helped eliminate multipath distortion on analog cable when AT&T couldn't fix it. I have www.bettercables.com silver serpent composite from my STB to my ReplayTV 3060 and silver serpent S video from my 3060 to my Sony 34xbr800 direct view TV. From my interlaced DVD player to my TV, I use an AR Pro S video. All of these analog video cables were better than the "freebie-in-the-box" cables or cable company cable. The best value was AR by far. I have switched back and forth between the bettercables and AR S video but can't tell a difference.

When I need to get a new cable, I am going to look at www.pacificcable.com because many forum members like them and they offer good value. You can usually get AR from www.amazon.com and other places. Many forum members like Radio Shack gold connectors but the speakers and electronics from Rat Shack have always been so lame, I only go there if there is an emergency or I just need audio cable or batteries. Each to his/her own but you may want to go to a place that offers a return if you don't see improvement over what you have. Good luck. :)

Rick

Edit: PS, I sit a 7 to 8' so viewing distance may make a difference too.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I'm of the empirical opinion that any cables you find, so long as they're not damaged or disconnected, will be terrific. Including the ones that come with your equipment :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Monster does have one advantage - they are the only "store brand" that sells cables in 4 foot lengths. I find that in my stack, 3 feet is usually too short, and 6 feet too long.

Otherwise, I vote "some other brand" as well. Acoustic Research cables are pretty good. I've even found some pretty decent cables at Radio Shack.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ricbayer
I have Monster RF coax between the wall and my STB. It helped eliminate multipath distortion on analog cable when AT&T couldn't fix it.
I doubt that the cable was the problem besides you can't have multipath distortion in a closed cable system. What you were probably seeing was ingress noise into the cable system from a local channel. This usually happens from poor connectors or poor installation of the connectors which 99.9% of cable installers fail at. Monster cables will certainly have better connectors.

As others have stated monster cable is way overrated for the amount of current traveling between our A/V systems. Just buy an decent audio cable from Radioshack, BestBuy, or other electronic stores.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcreplay
useing monster s-video to replay but the rca came in box if get monster rca cables does it look better. it look great now just wanted to use best cables out
If it looks great now, why screw with it? I'm a big believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The most IMPORTANT part of a cable is the shielding.... Don't forget a cable can be a VERY GOOD antenna. The shielding is what prevents RF noise from disturbing your signal and picture/sound quality.

I gave up on store bought cables and make my own double shielded cables. They work really well, and yes, I did notice a difference when I switched. To my amazement, in a blind test, my WIFE did too! That's a true test, when an AV super-novice notices a difference that says something.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Oh, but to add.... if you live in a RF noise free house the shielding will help, but not as much. Most cables will do fine at short distances, almost all cables will work great a 2'-3'. The length of the cable is also key in how the cable will act as an antenna.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would avoid the longer Radio Shack gold cables. I bought a 12' component cable to connect the DVD player to my TV (480P mode) and discovered "ringing" on my player. For example, on Shrek DVD when he walks into the parking lot out of the cornfields there was a halo on the side in the outline of his head. Not seen with the "free" component cable given to me with my HDTV box. Probably some interference from having the cables coiled behind the TV set. I should have tried physically bending/rearranging the cables to see if I could affect the TV image, which would be a sign of a truly poorly shielded & useless cable, but anyway...

You get what you pay for. This is probably the only time I saw a visible difference from one cable to another on my HDTV. I didn't try a shorter Radio Shack, which might have eliminated the problem. 12' was admittedly unnecessarily long and a 6' might have been problem free if the connectors were good (& yes I did put them firmly into the plugs), but I didn't feel like driving back & forth to the store, performing tests to determine a length "threshold of crappiness" on this cheap cable. Buying Monster cable seemed a philosophical abomination to me, so I swapped in the component cable I got with my SA3100HD box from Time Warner, and in turn bought some Canare cable from bettercables.com for the 1080i output to use for the HDTV signal. Anyone have similar bad luck with Radio Shack cables? I still would like a cheap off-the-shelf cable that doesn't have these artifacts. Canare is still a bit pricey.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would have the opposite opinion. Radio Shack gold cables are teriffic. I have used them for virtually every application. And yeah, I have tried the monsters, and even those obsurd firehose-size ones with in-line amplifier garbage. You have to realize the 'weakest link' theory. Whats the point of using a $50 coax cable from the wall to your unit when your house is wired with $.16 RG58 standard coax? And why use $150 RCA cables between units, when inside they are wired with 16-22 awg wire? Your main concern with cables is quality of connection and reflection of outside signals(shielding). Another solution insead of shielding like crazy is twisting. A twist will reflect signals just as well, if not better than a shielded straight wire. Get two lengths of wire, tie one end, put the other end in an electric drill, zip em down and solder good ends on them. Its a great way to save money and get great cables that you know are done right.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Humbug, there are two types of people. People who by cheap flimsy cables(which work decently half the time) and people who buy cables for $70s a pop. Don't be either one of them.

tips:

1. if you discover a cable has a short throw it away immediately. If you dont its going to end up being used for a few years providing crappy signal before you decide group therapy isn't worth the time and finally throw it out(or put it back in storage). Please do not donate poorly shielded, or shorted out cables to poor people or the thrift stores where they shop. They have it tough enough already.

2. if are running a cable across or under a carpet resist the temptation of dreaming about monster cables. Instead run the cable along the baseboard an inch above the carpet.

3. look at the ends of all your audio, video equipment. if you see any corrosion or rust on the connectors immediately throw the cable away(see tip 1) and get an adequate one before you fall to the temptation of buying a monster cable.

4. throw away all cables that are obviously cheap or have a short

5. throw away all cables that have a short or are obviously cheap

6 throw away all cables that are butt ugly unless they are 'special purpose' to something you still own

7. throw away any cable that is obviously poorly sheilded, has a short, or shows corrosion on the connectors(see tip 1)

8. do not steal monster cables from best buy. they do not make any your signal any better and are not worth getting caught.

9. If you are running your svideo cable longer then 175 feet through the center of a trench (five feet diameter or above) which is filled with stuffed animals you may consider special ordering a monster cable to assure adequate shielding.

Moster Cables are the worst because if they get a short or corroded connecters noone throws them out(paid $70 for the darn things)

it's late

icecow

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
icecow, why throw out bad monster cables?!?!? They have a lifetime replacement, just send them back for new ones.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Has anyone used the Dayton brand of component cables sold by one of our sponsor here? I am very interested in the 1.5 feet component cable to connect my slim Panasonic SA-XR25 receiver to the slim Panasonic SV-35 DVD player. I will stack the receiver on top of the DVD player. I use the receiver to switch the component video into my Panny plasma which has only 1 component input. My question is how quality built are the Dayton cables?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
icecow, why throw out bad monster cables?!?!? They have a lifetime replacement, just send them back for new ones.
good point. but I got some reasons anyway:

cause habits are everything and if you find yourself doing things like buying cables for $70 and relying on lifetime guarentees yer not likely to be happy. Break the cycle.

cause you might use the bad monster cables for two years before you 'have time' to send them in or store them for the rest of your life.

cause shipping would cost about the same as some cables that would work just fine without dealing with packaging.

but, hey, i didn't know/remember they have a lifetime replacement. I'd probably send them in too even though I consider them 'mid-life crisis camaro butt ugly'. Maybe owning a pair would move me past the diabilitating thoughts I have about them. OK, so I'm really just cheap and want something for free.

icecow

·
Registered
130 Posts
For particularly long runs (in my case 8 meters) I highly recommend very good cable. For short runs (6' and under) the difference between cable quality is much less noticable.

I have done a taste test with 4 different 8 meter component video cables, and I have noticed a major increase in video qual with the MV3CV-8M cable. Noticable difference even from the MV2CV-8M!!

For the best price, I find the exact cable I want, then search for it on shop.yahoo.com. I just bought another the other day for $119.

For non-Monster cables (which I have many), make sure you have double shielding and oxygen-free copper conductors. Gold connectors are nice, but not as critical as OFC.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.