AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out of all that are currently out what Blu-Ray player has the best Picture Quality, i'm spoiled so even the smallest and finest details matters to me, I don't care about the audio

·
Registered
767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomunk /forum/post/12968843

out of all that are currently out what Blu-Ray player has the best Picture Quality, i'm spoiled so even the smallest and finest details matters to me, I don't care about the audio

I would have to say the PS3.... I tried the Sammy 1400 and just didn't knock my socks off. I also have the Tosh XA2, which is IMO the best for HD DVD

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for some reason people say the PS3 has a kind of soft picture compared to the top BD players, what about the Panasonic BD30 or other top BD players

·
Registered
860 Posts
We have a PS3 and a Sony S500 and I have tried both with our Samsung 720P projector. In that configuration the S500 puts out a better picture than the PS3. When we upgrade to a 1080p projector (soon I hope) I will try both again.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I would say the Pioneer 95 has the very best PQ, but I have not seen it in proper test environments so it is difficult to say. For more cost-effective machines, I would go with the PS3 or the Panasonic 30.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomunk /forum/post/12968843

Audio is half the experience.

Panny BD30 has very good PQ. It was noticeably better in my experience than the Samsung 1400.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by namechamps /forum/post/12969911

Audio is half the experience.

Panny BD30 has very good PQ. It was noticeably better in my experience than the Samsung 1400.

No, audio is a preference the kind you choose and want to listen too that is, i'll worry about audio later (I don't have a good 5.1 or 7.1 setup yet) right now I want the best Blu-Ray picture possible so far I'm thinking I might grab the Panny

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have owned the Sammy 1200, currently own a PS3 and Panny 30...in my humble opinion, the Panny is much better than the Sammy and slightly better than the PS3 for PQ...just going by what my eyes tell me.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
if you have any interest in the picture quality of SD DVD's make sure your blu-ray player has a well implemented reon chip or even better, realta. i haven't heard the most glowing reviews of the upscaling quality of the panny 30.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I owned the Sammy 1200 and it has the Reon chip...my Panny, to my eyes does just as well with upscaling as the Sammy. I have been very pleased with the Panny's ability in this regard..the only exception has been on DVD's that I have made a "backup" copy of...those did not look nearly as good.

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is an excellent question.

Can anyone help me understand what would make one BD player look better than another when playing 1080p BD discs over HDMI? I am admittedly ignorant on the subject, but I would have thought that the player was simply spitting out video data from the disc unaltered.

I must be wrong because people report seeing differences... or is that the placebo effect?

BTW, I have a Panny BD30 - my first & only player. If there's a player that looks any better, that would be a bad a$$ machine indeed.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The PQ of blu-ray players playing BD's are all essentially the same. Those that say one unit blows another away are, IMHO, delerious. I have three players: Samsung 1200, Panasonic BD30 and Sony 300 - the PQ on BD's is the same. This is viewed on a Sony KDS60A2020 TV via HDMI (true 1080p). PQ for upconverted DVD's does vary from player to player. Of my players, the 1200 is the best. BD30 and Sony 300 are similar but at a lower level.

·
Registered
860 Posts
All players may (or may not) have equal PQ when feeding a 1080p/24 display, but I don't think they are all the same for other display resolutions. For instance, on my 720p projector I can see a difference which I assume is because of the processing required for that resolution.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I agree - as long as you have a 1080p display with a digital HDMI interface to the player, all 1080p Blu-Ray disk players have identical image quality - bits are bits. For smooth motion, as long as your display supports 72/96/120Hz refresh, you would also want 1080p24 playback capability which gives smooth motion and a very film-like image.

For conventional DVD upscaling, the relative quality of the video processer chip inside the player makes considerable difference. The three best video processor chips in order of declining quality are the Silicon Optix Realta HQV, the Silicon Optix Reon HQV, and the Faroudja DCDi. Very likely you will be more than satisfied with any player containing one of these when playing conventional DVD.

Audio quality is also important. I would buy a player that matches your speaker system (5.1/7.1) and your A/V receiver capabilities (SPDIF/TOSLINK or Bitstream over PCM).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry I have to disagree. I have owned the Samsung 1000, 1200, Panny 10 and 30. I think the Samsung 1200 has the best PQ of the 4, followed by the Pansonic BD-30, then the BD-10 and then the Samsung 1000. The Samsung 1200 just has a sharper looking picture on my Sony XBR2. Also, both the 1200 and the Panasonic BD-30 have better color than either of the other two players I have owned.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have both the pio 95 and the ps3 and IMO the Pio's pq is a little better. The picture is a little more vibrant in color and a little crisper. It's not as noticable in CGI stuff like the Pixar movies, but it's noticable in very good PQ movies like POTC and Mr. Brooks.

·
Registered
14,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/12972695

I agree - as long as you have a 1080p display with a digital HDMI interface to the player, all 1080p Blu-Ray disk players have identical image quality - bits are bits. For smooth motion, as long as your display supports 72/96/120Hz refresh, you would also want 1080p24 playback capability which gives smooth motion and a very film-like image.

For conventional DVD upscaling, the relative quality of the video processer chip inside the player makes considerable difference. The three best video processor chips in order of declining quality are the Silicon Optix Realta HQV, the Silicon Optix Reon HQV, and the Faroudja DCDi. Very likely you will be more than satisfied with any player containing one of these when playing conventional DVD.

Audio quality is also important. I would buy a player that matches your speaker system (5.1/7.1) and your A/V receiver capabilities (SPDIF/TOSLINK or Bitstream over PCM).

Untrue about all 1080p players have the same video quality. There are differences in video decoders and other factors which can come into play. Now, I don't believe there are huge differences, but some none the less.

On any rate, I have found the BD30 to offer a slightly sharper, more crisp image than the PS3.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I would suspect that differences in displays is going to be more noticable than differences in Blu-Ray players. The only way for you to really tell is to try a couple on your set and see which you like better.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts