AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me for not seeing the 'cables' section if there is one, but I am wondering what brand of HDMI cable everyone uses.

Since this is a digital signal, are all cables the same no matter what? gold, silver, and copper ...... is there a difference?

i've heard good things about the bluejean brand. good prices as well compared to monster. how about the audioquest brand? overpriced?

Thanks for any feedback,

Cheers!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info ht.

BJ's prices are great as well.

Cheers,

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just a heads up. I purchased the 3 meter DVI to HDMI cable from pacific cable and it could not get the signal from my DVDO Iscan HD to my new Hitachi 57S715. At first, I thought the set couldn't handle the output of the different resolutions. I didn't like a couple of other features of the set and went to exchange the set. The manager of the local store wanted to make sure my scaler could work with the set I picked as a replacement and had me bring the scaler into use with a Sony KDF55WF655. Same problem with the HDMI port of this set. Finally, broke down and ordered a monster DVI to HDMI cable from onecall.com. Cable arrived this morning, and scaler now works with Hitachi.

Now, the price of the pacificcable was 41.70 with shipping. And the monster cable from onecall.com was 152.91. But, the results speak for themselves. I personally love pacificcable.com. I purchased six component cables from them when everyone locally was charging 90 dollars. But, I think for the HDMI to DVI connectivity, you'd be better off choosing another solution.

Monster DVI to HDMI cables from Onecall.com

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon7athan
But, the results speak for themselves. I personally love pacificcable.com. I purchased six component cables from them when everyone locally was charging 90 dollars. But, I think for the HDMI to DVI connectivity, you'd be better off choosing another solution.
I have the same cable from Pacific and it works. DVI or HDMI cables either work or fail. There doesn't seem to be any gradation of quality between fail and non-fail. Better cable construction doesn't produce better images.

It sounds like you got a defective cable, but I don't think the price had anything to do with the problem.

There is a very large number of "cheap" DVI/HDMI cable users in the forums. :)

Based on the experiences I've read about here in the forum, digital DVI and HDMI cables do not require the same quality that analog component cables require.

Bluejean also makes very good cables and they don't charge as much shipping and handling as Pacific Cable.

Monster DVI or HDMI or combo DVI/HDMI cables work just fine too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The results speaks for themselves is a reference to price shopping. For example, I now know of (2) two people in the world who own a pacificcable.com HDMIDVI-3 cable. And of those two people, one of them has a defective cable.

On the other hand, I probably know at least two dozen users who own monster products. And except for 75% of them complaining about the price of their products:), none of them have ever purchased a defective monster cable. Monster has a lifetime guarantee and it's created with better materials( I leave the technical specs overview to your capable hands.)

Having had a good previous shopping experience with pacific, I went price shopping again and got what I paid for. In the future and if I had it to do over again, I would go with the more expensive monster cables.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
These cables work fine for me:

Pacific Cable DVI-DVI

Ram DVI-HDMI

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
The results speaks for themselves is a reference to price shopping. For example, I now know of (2) two people in the world who own a pacificcable.com HDMIDVI-3 cable. And of those two people, one of them has a defective cable.
Now you know four. My Pacific Cable works just fine. As a poster mentioned previously, HDMI cables either work...or they are defective, in which case you get them replaced.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cables working or not working is not the point. I could go on to explain to you physical layer properties of signal transmission and how the various media enhance or decrease the properties of signals based on their specs but we won't get into that.

Do a little reading before you make a blanket they work or don't work comment.

DVI & HDMI Video Connections article

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Do a little reading before you make a blanket they work or don't work comment.
Reading is good for most folks.

Personally I get along fine with any old ones and zeros as long as all of them that started the trip show up, on time, at the other end of the cable.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
my point exactly.
Go for it then.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought a DVI to HDMI cable at Ram Electronics, and it works fine. Quick service at a good price. Will buy from them again. See
http://www.ramelectronics.net/

My take on those super expensive cables, especially for digital signals, is that for the price they charge, they must be using that special magic copper, not the ordinary copper found on the normal periodic table. Even for speaker wire where good cable makes the most sense, you can save a bundle by going to the hardware store and buying 12 gauge lamp cord. Copper is copper, and impedance is impedance.

I wish I had the marketing genius to sell $3 wire for $100.

·
Registered
560 Posts
When I setup my theater, I purchased a long DVI cable from Markertek (a pro supply house), which I installed in the wall for my projector.

When I finally got the Dish Network 921, and plugged it into the projector through the long cable, I got sparklies on the screen. I tried a shorter cable, and it worked fine, so I went through two different cables before I found a 9 meter one that worked for me. It was from bettercables and it has worked flawlessly. I tried Monster cables and they did not work (same sparklies problem!)

Now I am a big proponent of the bits is bits group. I have said to many people a digital interconnect from a DVD player to a receiver (using the non-optical cable), is going to work whether you put a $3 cable or a $500 cable exactly the same way. But in this case, the DVI cables for the length I was running needed to be a better quality.

Later I am probably getting a HDMI DVD player and will need to purchase a 9 meter or so HDMI cable. I hope that I can get a good price on one that works!

Reedl

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by reedl
But in this case, the DVI cables for the length I was running needed to be a better quality.
Quality (shielding) is important for long DVI runs. Once interference exceeds a certain level ones and zeros start going missing.

Quote:
Later I am probably getting a HDMI DVD player and will need to purchase a 9 meter or so HDMI cable. I hope that I can get a good price on one that works!
From what I have read (non-technical), HDMI cables are able to handle much longer runs than DVI given the same build quality.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone have or tried Audioquest ? The look has my interests, but the price really doesn't. Are they worth the extra money like Monster?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Of course not.

Read the article about the guy who made a DVI cable out of a coat hanger...picture was identical to the Monster cable.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.