AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I thought that all meters were the same. wrong. I am interested in finding out what you used and what your results were.

If you use the New Uber XXX that cost 2,500.00..... This wont help us..we need the best budget meter we can find.

Lets say below 500.00 I am interested in 250.00 and below, but to open things up a bit 500.00 for a high point will work.

KG

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
In that price range the best meter hands down is the i1 Display Pro. It's the newest meter in that price range and therefor has the latest technology, which drives down the price and increases perfomance.

The only other option to consider would be a ColorMunki photo/design. As the only spectrophotometer in that price range it is unique. It may be more accurate on above 10-12fL or 30cdm or so. It's a bit slower on exposure time. Doesn't read low light as well and requires dark offsets.

The choice between a spectro and a colorimeter is about trades offs, not something I can decide for you. But the two meters above are the kings of their respective classes.

·
Registered
12,389 Posts
The ChromaPure enhanced version of the i1 Display Pro (Display 3 PRO Colorimeter) is also a good choice, whose accuracy is about twice that of the standard meter.

·
Registered
729 Posts
To answer the thread question I use an old Xrite Display D2 Lt on my Toshiba 42 inch LCD TV.

It is still going strong but when it does decide to retire itself I shall buy the new Xrite i1D3.

Results:

My setup is above meter read via Chromapure Pro adjusted by a Duo CMS using the Duo Control Panel serial connection.

For gammas of 2.2 and 2.4 I can easily get very flat gammas with a dE of well below 2 even for IRE 10.

Colors are more of a challenge with correct Green rec 709 saturation low irrespective of increase on CMS.

No clipping of colors or white.

PQ magnificent verified by the software results from the meter.

Results are reproduceable with minor tweaking necessary on different calibration sessions.

·
Registered
12,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG
To answer the thread question I use an old Xrite Display D2 Lt on my Toshiba 42 inch LCD TV.

It is still going strong but when it does decide to retire itself I shall buy the new Xrite i1D3.

Results:

My setup is above meter read via Chromapure Pro adjusted by a Duo CMS using the Duo Control Panel serial connection.

For gammas of 2.2 and 2.4 I can easily get very flat gammas with a dE of well below 2 even for IRE 10.

Colors are more of a challenge with correct Green rec 709 saturation low irrespective of increase on CMS.

No clipping of colors or white.

PQ magnificent verified by the software results from the meter.

Results are reproduceable with minor tweaking necessary on different calibration sessions.
The problem with trying to evaluate a colorimeter by itself is that without a reference device to compare against you don't know how far off from an ideal result you are acheiving. Your dE's could all be zero as reported by your i1 D2 but when the same display with the same same picture settings is measured by a reference device, the dE's could be in the 10s or higher for all you know. Your eyes viewing reference material can help you subjectively evaluate your results but once again you must know what reference color looks like for a given example of source material to make an meaningful evaluation. Having owned about 3 i1 D2/LTs, one X2, and now the (standard) OEM i1 Display, I can say that I didn't realize how off the i1 D2/LT was until I got the X2 and didn't realize how far off that was until I got the OEM i1 Display and I won't realize how far off that is until I get the enhanced verison of it or a spectro. In other words, you don't know what you're missing with a less accurate meter until you upgrade to a more accurate one.

Also, the upgrade from the i1D2 to the X2 was pretty significant but the upgrade from the X2 to the OEM i1 Display was far more substantial. And yet there is still room for improvement.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U
The problem with trying to evaluate a colorimeter by itself is that without a reference device to compare against you don't know how far off from an ideal result you are acheiving. Your dE's could all be zero as reported by your i1 D2 but when the same display with the same same picture settings is measured by a reference device, the dE's could be in the 10s or higher for all you know. Your eyes viewing reference material can help you subjectively evaluate your results but once again you must know what reference color looks like for a given example of source material to make an meaningful evaluation. Having owned about 3 i1 D2/LTs, one X2, and now the (standard) OEM i1 Display, I can say that I didn't realize how off the i1 D2/LT was until I got the X2 and didn't realize how far off that was until I got the OEM i1 Display and I won't realize how far off that is until I get the enhanced verison of it or a spectro. In other words, you don't know what you're missing with a less accurate meter until you upgrade to a more accurate one.

Also, the upgrade from the i1D2 to the X2 was pretty significant but the upgrade from the X2 to the OEM i1 Display was far more substantial. And yet there is still room for improvement.
You may be right (I am often wrong) but what do you mean by '..don't know what you are missing....'

Also what improvement is necessary in the current OEM i1Display?

Also, what accuracy do we need to evaluate a TV's PQ ?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran
I am interested in finding out what you used and what your results were.
Accuracy may vary depending on the display in question. I have an i1 Pro (spectro) and a display 2 (colorimeter). There are some areas I tend to trust the colorimeter more, and there are some areas where I go with the spectro. I think it's quite possible that the i1 pro (and colormunki) may have issues with certain display types, but of course the same might also apply to colorimeters. A while back someone posted a somewhat thorough meter comparison from a photo site, but I'm not sure how to track down the link. One area where I thought the photo site did a good job of was looking at variation among identical meter models, like PlasmaPZ80U was talking about. Here is one meter comparison posted http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=shootout

·
Registered
12,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG
You may be right (I am often wrong) but what do you mean by '..don't know what you are missing....'

Also what improvement is necessary in the current OEM i1Display?

Also, what accuracy do we need to evaluate a TV's PQ ?
I mean that a more accurate meter can give you better color accuracy out of your display. You may never realize how good your display can look until you get a meter that is as close to reference as you can obtain within a reasonable budget. At the moment for around $500, the ColorMunki Spectro (used with CalMAN) and Display 3 PRO Colorimeter (ChromaPure enhanced version) are the two best meters in this price range.

I have the OEM i1 Display and based on threads in the CalMAN forum, it has been observed (at least for Plasmas) that the color accuracy on this meter is still off when compared to a spectros like the ColorMunki or i1 PRO or a colorimeter like the Chroma 5.

The enhanced version of this meter should fare much better and since CalMAN's own C6 is far more expensive than the standard OEM i1 Display, ChromaPure's Display 3 PRO Colorimeter is the only enhanced version around $500 (with software included). When my OEM i1 Display drifts enough to warrant recalibration, I plan on buying the ChromaPure software ($180) and upgrading my meter to the PRO version ($125). When I do that, I should have the most accurate colorimeter in this price range and probably the best option aside from buying a spectro and using it to profile the OEM i1 Display instead, which is pricier.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I agree the Display 3 seems a good meter but am intrigued to know what accuracy is output by my LCD TV.

Is it really so constant every time I switch it on?

If not then surely the way of measuring should take this TV output tolerence into account? I mean if the output from the display can vary by a plus and minus figure why measure to 5 decimal places (figuratively speaking).

Incidentally, thank you 'Alluringreality' for the thread link, it actually gives the meter I am using a good writeup.

Not read whole thread yet but we do seem to be 're-inventing the wheel' see posts #1 #255 also #303 and 304.

I sure there will be others that say the opposite somewhere.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hootout&page=3

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh dear, more info.... I will be using it to calibrate screen and projector together.

Sorry, i forgot about the software. Can these devices be used with free software, if not what software are you using.

Thanx for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/20965979

The ChromaPure enhanced version of the i1 Display Pro (Display 3 PRO Colorimeter) is also a good choice, whose accuracy is about twice that of the standard meter.

Is this a i1 Display pro ? I see the price is about $250.00, down to $200.00.

·
Registered
12,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20967145

You have to buy the OEM version (not retail version sold by many online retailers) either with CalMAN bundled or with ChromaPure bundled. The standard meter bundle is $395 for CalMAN or $440 for ChromaPure. The enhanced meter bundle for ChromaPure is $560. I would avoid the CalMAN bundle though as they don't offer recalibration services for this meter and you can't convert it into an enhanced version later if you want to. If you get the standard bundle with ChromaPure, you can upgrade the meter to the enhanced version for $125 at any time and have it recalibrated when needed for the same $125 fee.

·
Registered
12,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG /forum/post/20966508

I agree the Display 3 seems a good meter but am intrigued to know what accuracy is output by my LCD TV.

Is it really so constant every time I switch it on?

If not then surely the way of measuring should take this TV output tolerence into account? I mean if the output from the display can vary by a plus and minus figure why measure to 5 decimal places (figuratively speaking).

Incidentally, thank you 'Alluringreality' for the thread link, it actually gives the meter I am using a good writeup.

Not read whole thread yet but we do seem to be 're-inventing the wheel' see posts #1 #255 also #303 and 304.

I sure there will be others that say the opposite somewhere.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hootout&page=3

There is a clear visible benefit to be gain in terms of color accuracy on any display when upgrading to the i1 Display 3 from the i1 Display 2 (with the latter enhanced or not). If you get the enhanced version of the i1 Display 3, that benefit only increases further (errors will be halved from the standard version).

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Any budget meter work with a mac?

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/20965979

·
Registered
9,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc /forum/post/20967223

Any budget meter work with a mac?

Monitor Calibration Software For MAC that supporting a lot of Low-Budget Meters:

Color Solutions basICColor Display 4

ColorEyes Display Pro

But If you got the Retail i1Display PRO, it comes with iProfiler Software and it has support for MAC OS.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20967337

Does the i1Display3 come with software to calibrate.

Retail Version of iD3 comes with iProfiler, a software to auto-calibrate only PC/MAC Monitors, adding a Software LUT Table to your Video Card.

You can't use it to operate it CalMAN or ChromaPure later, currently only OEM version of iD3 is working with CalMAN & ChromaPure.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD /forum/post/20967351

Retail Version of iD3 comes with iProfiler, a software to auto-calibrate only PC/MAC Monitors, adding a Software LUT Table to your Video Card.

You can't use it to operate it CalMAN or ChromaPure later, currently only OEM version of iD3 is working with CalMAN & ChromaPure.

So, CalMan cost ?

·
Registered
9,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20967356

So, CalMan cost ?

CalMAN DIY Software Only : $199.00

CalMAN DIY Software w/ OEM i1Display : $395.00

CalMAN CalPC Add-on License : $99.00

1 - 20 of 82 Posts