AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20967477


Does the display3 work with free software.....

nope
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/20967204


There is a clear visible benefit to be gain in terms of color accuracy on any display when upgrading to the i1 Display 3 from the i1 Display 2 (with the latter enhanced or not). If you get the enhanced version of the i1 Display 3, that benefit only increases further (errors will be halved from the standard version).

In what way is the 'color accuracy' visible to me?


I have already said I will upgrade my D2 if it degrades to give me visibly incorrect readings. I find it has not reached that point yet.

According to the references in my last post this is not unusual with my meter.


I am still intrigued to know how this increased accuracy will help when measuring the moving target output of most displays.


I can understand reproduceability which I have, I can understand red or green tint at D65 point which I do not have, but when it is white at D65 along its IRE range and is at the correct xyY coordinates I am happy.

Perhaps my inability to indicate a technically accurate 'green' is a symptom of my meters imminent demise, I don't know.

What I do know is my PQ is fantastic and this is borne out by my meters results interpreted by the Chromapure software. The colors look great and do not clip at all.


However, since my meter is no longer available from Xrite perhaps I should be totally agreeing with you that this new meter from Xrite is the one to choose if you are buying one for the first time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD /forum/post/20967378


CalMAN DIY Software Only : $199.00


CalMAN DIY Software w/ OEM i1Display : $395.00


CalMAN CalPC Add-on License : $99.00

Can you explain OEM i1 Display
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran
Can you explain OEM i1 Display
OEM i1Display means that has unlocked the firmware so it can work with 3rd party software like CalMAN, ChromaPure etc.


Retail i1Display has locked firmware and is working only with Included iProfiler Software.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD
OEM i1Display means that has unlocked the firmware so it can work with 3rd party software like CalMAN, ChromaPure etc.


Retail i1Display has locked firmware and is working only with Included iProfiler Software.
Ahhhhh. nice. The plot thickens



Now the part that only we can do...... Do you spend half the cost of a new PJ to calibrate it ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran
Ahhhhh. nice. The plot thickens



Now the part that only we can do...... Do you spend half the cost of a new PJ to calibrate it ?
You have never seen the before and after results of a properly calibrated display or you would not ask that question.

The answer is a resounding YES! I payed $425 to have a 5+year old projector calibrated who's worth was that of the calibration cost and it was WELL WORTH IT! I will soon buy the i1D3 Pro and cromapure ($560) to do a touch up and be able to maintain the image over the next 1500 hours or more of lamp life.


If at the time the lamp is no longer usable, I will either buy a new lamp or projector but either way it will need to be calibrate and maintained as the lamp ages. So the cost of the meter/software will pay for itself with one use, if the alternative is to pay someone to do it for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
I got way too overwhelmed at looking at calibration guides.


Thinking about paying a professional to do it. What can I expect to be the cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule
I got way too overwhelmed at looking at calibration guides.


Thinking about paying a professional to do it. What can I expect to be the cost?
Depends on what you want.. video and audio.. one or more displays.. etc .. $400-$500 for a single display. Contact any of the well know folks here, they will give you a quote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Well, it's a no go.


All I really want, is for someone to calibrate my "TheaterBlack 2" on my Epson 8700UB. They don't have to calibrate my speakers, or even any other mode (e.g. Dynamic, THX, etc) on the projector.


Reason, is I strongly believe that "Theater Black 2," simply just looks the best right out of the box. It seems that at $50 an hour (or around), that I'm not quite sure if 6 hours ($350) is really all that is needed to do that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule /forum/post/20969975


Well, it's a no go.


All I really want, is for someone to calibrate my "TheaterBlack 2" on my Epson 8700UB. They don't have to calibrate my speakers, or even any other mode (e.g. Dynamic, THX, etc) on the projector.


Reason, is I strongly believe that "Theater Black 2," simply just looks the best right out of the box. It seems that at $50 an hour (or around), that I'm not quite sure if 6 hours ($350) is really all that is needed to do that...

Yup, imagine my PJ only cost $1,100.00 or so and the plan is to get a $400.00 package meter/software
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20970025


Yup, imagine my PJ only cost $1,100.00 or so and the plan is to get a $400.00 package meter/software

It helps if you have multiple displays to calibrate and if you plan on doing periodic calibrations/touch-ups on those displays. With your own software/hardware combo you can calibrate as many displays as many times as you want or need to. On the other hand, you can pay $400-$500 for a single calibration on a single display which will need a touch-up within 6 months to a year or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Yep. Calibration is basically something you should own yourself, or make friends with someone who is really really nice. Know anyone in the Boise, ID area?



As mentioned in my prior thread, I'm going to just go through the basics from the AVS disc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Hi guys I am looking into the colormunki and buy the calman software would this be a good combo?

I found the colormunki photo for $375

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrafuzzyllama /forum/post/20972555


Hi guys I am looking into the colormunki and buy the calman software would this be a good combo?

I found the colormunki photo for $375

Thanks in advance.

The colormunki photo is a great little piece of equipment. It's not great for low light situations, so it's not the best choice for projectors, but it can't be beat in accuracy for brighter situations. Tri-stim meters are more repeatable, especially in low light, but they have more variance from display to display.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/20972690


The colormunki photo is a great little piece of equipment. It's not great for low light situations, so it's not the best choice for projectors, but it can't be beat in accuracy for brighter situations. Tri-stim meters are more repeatable, especially in low light, but they have more variance from display to display.

I don't have a projector I have a led tv.

So do you think a colormunki photo+ calman would be good?

Some other member said they used colormunki with calman and avs 709 and got excellent results andthey had same model tv I have so that's why I am inquiring about the meter/software combo.

Here is the link colormunki/calman calibration

And like some meters are locked if bought from a retail store is the colormunki photo locked unless bought from a OEM version?
 
21 - 40 of 82 Posts
Top