AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
7,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrafuzzyllama /forum/post/20972709

I don't have a projector I have a led tv.

So do you think a colormunki photo+ calman would be good?

Some other member said they used colormunki with calman and avs 709 and got excellent results andthey had same model tv I have so that's why I am inquiring about the meter/software combo.

Here is the link colormunki/calman calibration

And like some meters are locked if bought from a retail store is the colormunki photo locked unless bought from a OEM version?

The colormunki photo is not locked, but it does require a spectrophotometer add-on for the home(DIY) license to work with CalMAN, the bundles on our website include it, but would need to be purchased if you get your meter from a 3rd party.

You'll get great accuracy from the meter, and the avs709 disc has all the patterns you'll need. In the right hands, that will yield an excellent calibration.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What is the add-on? Is it something to place on the colormunki?

Can it be bought separate if the colormunki wasnt bought from calman store?

I am beginning to feel I may not be able to purchase all this extra stuff on top of the colormunki since I won't have enough money.

Thanks for the help sotti

·
Registered
7,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrafuzzyllama /forum/post/20972952

What is the add-on? Is it something to place on the colormunki?

Can it be bought separate if the colormunki wasnt bought from calman store?

I am beginning to feel I may not be able to purchase all this extra stuff on top of the colormunki since I won't have enough money.

Thanks for the help sotti

It's just a license to enable it in our software.

Software with Meter
http://store.spectracal.com/calman-s...olormunki.html

The software
http://store.spectracal.com/consumer...ware-only.html

The spectro add-on
http://store.spectracal.com/consumer...n-license.html

So the software is $350 w/ add-on license. So you can look at it as we are selling you the meter for $250.

I'm not a sales guy, I'm not involved in any of the pricing of the stuff. I just write the software.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/20972893

The colormunki photo is not locked, but it does require a spectrophotometer add-on for the home(DIY) license to work with CalMAN, the bundles on our website include it, but would need to be purchased if you get your meter from a 3rd party.

You'll get great accuracy from the meter, and the avs709 disc has all the patterns you'll need. In the right hands, that will yield an excellent calibration.

The Xrite i1D3 and the colormunki are 2 meters to consider at the budget price range, are there any more we should look at?

I know both your Company and Chromapure sell bundled versions of these two but is that because of customer demand or have you both done the research on this topic and decided on these two only?

·
Registered
7,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG /forum/post/20973563

I know both your Company and Chromapure sell bundled versions of these two but is that because of customer demand or have you both done the research on this topic and decided on these two only?

The reason we sell OEM versions of the Display Pro is because that is all X-Rite offered us. We don't have the ability to support retail currently. X-Rite recently informed us of a program for supporting retail product, which didn't occur till late august, it's not a simple opt-in program.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/20974343

The reason we sell OEM versions of the Display Pro is because that is all X-Rite offered us. We don't have the ability to support retail currently. X-Rite recently informed us of a program for supporting retail product, which didn't occur till late august, it's not a simple opt-in program.

Are there any others you would recommend?

·
Registered
7,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG /forum/post/20974916

Are there any others you would recommend?

I think the only meters cheaper than an i1 Display Pro are the i1 Display2 and the Spyder3 in their various re-branded versions. Neither one is as good as a i1 Display Pro.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Does everyone offer recalibration of their meters, or better yet who does and who doesnt, and how often would you send your meter back for recalibration..... Now thats a run on sentence Lmao

·
Registered
12,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20975557

Does everyone offer recalibration of their meters, or better yet who does and who doesnt, and how often would you send your meter back for recalibration..... Now thats a run on sentence Lmao

ChromaPure does for $125. This service will also convert a standard i1 Display Pro into the enhanced version, effectively doubling it's accuracy.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/20975512

I think the only meters cheaper than an i1 Display Pro are the i1 Display2 and the Spyder3 in their various re-branded versions. Neither one is as good as a i1 Display Pro.

I meant other than Xrite.

Do any other manufacturers sell a budget meter that can be used for Display calibration purposes?

As you mentioned previously you were offered only the OED which is the same hardware as Retail version at a much higher price for some reason.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG /forum/post/20976275

I meant other than Xrite.

Do any other manufacturers sell a budget meter that can be used for Display calibration purposes?

As you mentioned previously you were offered only the OED which is the same hardware as Retail version at a much higher price for some reason.

The spyder3 is made by datacolor, and there are no other manufacturers of meters in that price range.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20975557

I'm not sure what the pricing is, but SpectraCal will also recalibrate meters as well.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/20976324

The spyder3 is made by datacolor, and there are no other manufacturers of meters in that price range.

Thanks.

I have no experience of any other than a Display 2 Lt mainly on recommendation from Kal a few years ago so I don't know the alternatives.

I started with the free software (like most people) but the value of a good software like yours or Chromapure cannot be overerestimated even with an amateur DIY calibrator like me.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG /forum/post/20976426

Thanks.

I have no experience of any other than a Display 2 Lt mainly on recommendation from Kal a few years ago so I don't know the alternatives.

I started with the free software (like most people) but the value of a good software like yours or Chromapure cannot be underestimated even with an amateur DIY calibrator like me.

I started with free software myself. I had a sypder2 and color HCFR. What good software can do is really helpful. Experts could calibrate a whole system with nothing but the xyY readings and some scratch paper.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Do these companies provide step by step instructions as i have no idea what i'm doing.

I started this whole adventure with free software and a 99.00 meter, now we are looking at 400.00 for meter/software packages.....

I know an HD test disc is needed. Now that the free software is out, is there a better disc other than the DVE one...

This has been very educational. Thanx for all your input everyone

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, I'm really new to this kind of thing and kind of overwhelmed by all the options. I want to get a $100-150 callibrator (are there any that calibrate both monitors and television sets?) but from reading the forums they seem to often be inaccurate themselves and lose their accuracy over time (leading to pricey recalibrations of the tools themselves). Can anyone recommend anything or have any advice for an amateur (don't have the budget to be spending a lot these things
)

·
Registered
7,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20977241

Do these companies provide step by step instructions as i have no idea what i'm doing.

I started this whole adventure with free software and a 99.00 meter, now we are looking at 400.00 for meter/software packages.....

I know an HD test disc is needed. Now that the free software is out, is there a better disc other than the DVE one...

This has been very educational. Thanx for all your input everyone

The free avs709 disc has all the patterns you need to do a calibration. The benefit of something like DVE is that there is a lot of explanation on the disc, if you watch and listen to it.

The instructions for CalMAN are for the most part inline with the our workflows all though we have a whole bunch of help files in our install directory C:\\Program Files (x86)\\SpectraCal\\CalMANv4\\Resources\\Help

You can download CalMAN and play with it in trial mode and play with simulated hardware to see how it works.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20978733

I was thinking of a tutorial like Kal's in the Curt Palme forum on greyscale and colourscale....

Could i simply follow that as a guide of sorts.....

Yes.

I still use the same inexpensive meter despite using paid for software which just simplifies things for a simple person like me.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Is there a guide somewhere on the web for more elaborate meters and software like the ChromaPure/ i3 (440.00).....

I would hate to have to step by step in the forum by owners of the Chroma bundle people. Thats alot of money to shell out and have to rely on the unknown..

Picking up a copy of the BR DVE is easy, but running through the software correctly with out a tutorial...hmmmm

Thats why the cheap free software and 99.00 meter was such a great deal

41 - 60 of 82 Posts